Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

And we get to choose two reserve subjects. I definitely want to have RS as a reserve, but then I don't know whether to have Art or German as my other reserve. The school always consults you before using your reserve options, because they understand that your reserve may be different for French than Drama (for example).

I would only use Art as a reserve option if I didn't get onto Drama, and I would only use German if I didn't get onto French (you have to pick at least one humanity and one language, so you are guaranteed to get these subjects). I would happily do RS in place of French or Drama, so that is definitely my 1st reserve option.

So which do I choose out of German and Art? I ADORE Art, but I am worried that it would stress me out as I get stressed really easily, and I know it wouldn't be my best grade (I am targeted straight 9s - which I probably won't get but I have been told I would be very unlikely to get a 7 in anything but Art). German seems cool, but it is possible that I could end up doing 3 languages if I put it down as my reserve (because of timetabling) and I haven't ever studied German before so I could find this quite challenging.

I am aware that it doesn't matter much because I will probably get my first options but I still care just in case:smile: What would you say?
art
Original post by Bill Nye
art

Why?:smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
Why?:smile:

Because you really like it
Because you really like it

But I also adore languages (they are my passion and I either want to study maths, languages or linguistics at uni) :smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
But I also adore languages (they are my passion and I either want to study maths, languages or linguistics at uni) :smile:

Just choose whichever you enjoy the most
If you cant decide - which are you better at?
Which has the better teachers?

I mean if you want to do languages in the future then do another language as your reserve if you feel like you can do that
i am in year 11 and i chose art because i absolutely love it and knew i wanted to do it for a level. i'm finding it very stressful but not unmanageable but there are people in my class who only chose it to fill an option block or because they thought it was an easy subject, however now they are regretting it because you HAVE to keep on top of the coursework and you have to put the effort in to get the best grades. you don't necessarily have to be the best artist, it's more about how you analyse things and your creativity in ideas and linking to the theme etc. so choose it if you love art and you want to continue it at a higher level, but don't choose it if you aren't 100% sure
Just choose whichever you enjoy the most
If you cant decide - which are you better at?
Which has the better teachers?

I mean if you want to do languages in the future then do another language as your reserve if you feel like you can do that

Ok thanks!! Ps, I keep seeing you everywhere on TSR atm!!😂👏🏻
Original post by saffburst
i am in year 11 and i chose art because i absolutely love it and knew i wanted to do it for a level. i'm finding it very stressful but not unmanageable but there are people in my class who only chose it to fill an option block or because they thought it was an easy subject, however now they are regretting it because you HAVE to keep on top of the coursework and you have to put the effort in to get the best grades. you don't necessarily have to be the best artist, it's more about how you analyse things and your creativity in ideas and linking to the theme etc. so choose it if you love art and you want to continue it at a higher level, but don't choose it if you aren't 100% sure

Ok thanks, thats really insightful!!
Reply 9
I did Art at GCSE and while I enjoyed it, it took up so much time and was easily the most stressful subject I have ever done. I’m not saying don’t do it but keep in mind that you will probably end spending A LOT of time on it.
Original post by judy245
I did Art at GCSE and while I enjoyed it, it took up so much time and was easily the most stressful subject I have ever done. I’m not saying don’t do it but keep in mind that you will probably end spending A LOT of time on it.

Ok:smile:
If you are going to choose art you have to be prepared to spend a lot of your time doing the coursework and exam prep. I took it because I enjoyed it but honestly GCSE art kind of sucked the fun out of it for me, with the strict deadlines and massive workload. It is a very rewarding subject seeing your sketchbooks and pieces come together, however I often found it distracted me from doing revision and work from other subjects I deemed more important.
But saying this, if you haven't ever studied German before i'm not sure how you'd cope with an entirely new language at GCSE.
Original post by art3mls
If you are going to choose art you have to be prepared to spend a lot of your time doing the coursework and exam prep. I took it because I enjoyed it but honestly GCSE art kind of sucked the fun out of it for me, with the strict deadlines and massive workload. It is a very rewarding subject seeing your sketchbooks and pieces come together, however I often found it distracted me from doing revision and work from other subjects I deemed more important.
But saying this, if you haven't ever studied German before i'm not sure how you'd cope with an entirely new language at GCSE.

I am in year 8 at the moment so I would have 3 years to study German as opposed to 2 and my teachers have pointed out I have an excellent aptitude for languages. In year 7 for our baseline assessment we took the 'Swedish Test' as Swedish isn't very widely taught so no one had done it before. It tested our natural aptitude for languages and I got the highest score in my year (by quite a lot). I have also only ever gotten 100% in my French and Spanish tests - except one time when I got 96% on a French test, but I really mucked up the speaking. I feel like I would be able to do ok at German? I'm not sure😂 (sorry this sounds so conceited I'm just trying to be honest aha)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending