The Student Room Group

A-Levels For Maths Degree?

Ok, so this is just out of interest, but what would be the best A-Levels For a Maths degree at Oxford?
Maths, Further maths and any other solid subject.
maths, further maths and physics is a popular combination but the only two you really need are maths and fm. what subjects do you like? econ and chemistry are also good subjects to consider but again not essential at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree maths further maths and physics is what the website says online u can do any fourth if u choose to do four
Maths
Further maths
Physics?
Something maths based?

IDK but hey
Original post by alextheowl
Maths, Further maths and any other solid subject.

Original post by showaeski
maths, further maths and physics is a popular combination but the only two you really need are maths and fm. what subjects do you like? econ and chemistry are also good subjects to consider but again not essential at all.

Original post by anonymous1231231
I agree maths further maths and physics is what the website says online u can do any fourth if u choose to do four

Original post by Bill Nye
Maths
Further maths
Physics?
Something maths based?

IDK but hey

Thanks!! I don't want this thread to be biased so I'm not going to post the other subjects I would be interested in/want to take but I can PM you if you'd like to know:smile:
Maths and Further Maths as definites. Other subjects such as Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry would be expected, but any academic subject even if it's not a science would be good if you feel you could do well at it.
Although if you are doing Further Maths I'd strongly consider 4, as I know for Cambridge sometimes doesn't count your Maths grade if you took it in first year and you are also taking Further Maths, however it may be different at other unis, and may be changing now that all subjects are going to be linear. But that said Maths and Further Maths as a combination are often thought as less than 2 A Levels worth of work, and from experience I'd be inclined to agree.
Well you need maths
Original post by Faction Paradox
Maths and Further Maths as definites. Other subjects such as Physics, Computer Science and Chemistry would be expected, but any academic subject even if it's not a science would be good if you feel you could do well at it.
Although if you are doing Further Maths I'd strongly consider 4, as I know for Cambridge sometimes doesn't count your Maths grade if you took it in first year and you are also taking Further Maths, however it may be different at other unis, and may be changing now that all subjects are going to be linear. But that said Maths and Further Maths as a combination are often thought as less than 2 A Levels worth of work, and from experience I'd be inclined to agree.

Ok, so if I feel like I'm less physics/chemistry inclined (my college doesn't offer comp science) and would do better in other subjects, i should go for those? As for doing 4, that came up in conversation earlier and I would definitely agree:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by admiral_broome
Well you need maths

Really?! Who woulda thunk it??
Original post by tooschool4cool
Ok, so this is just out of interest, but what would be the best A-Levels For a Maths degree at Oxford?

Maths, Further Maths and whatever else you enjoy (you need to stay sane after all). :smile: The admissions process is designed to test your mathsy skills so don't feel like your A Level choices have to be completely maths/science-based, unless that's what you enjoy! (from a maths student at cambridge)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PythagorasGhost
Maths, Further Maths and whatever else you enjoy (you need to stay sane after all). :smile: The admissions process is designed to test your mathsy skills so don't feel like your A Level choices have to be completely maths/science-based, unless that's what you enjoy! (from a maths student at cambridge)

Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you take at A-Level?
Ok, so if I feel like I'm less physics/chemistry inclined (my college doesn't offer comp science) and would do better in other subjects, i should go for those? As for doing 4, that came up in conversation earlier and I would definitely agree:smile:

Doing very well in a less maths related subject is always going to look better than doing OK in a more math-sy subject. Things like English Lit or foreign languages are always well thought of, but I'd look into the amount of coursework needed for non science subjects, as having too much coursework may be something which drags down grades by reducing revision time.
Original post by Faction Paradox
Doing very well in a less maths related subject is always going to look better than doing OK in a more math-sy subject. Things like English Lit or foreign languages are always well thought of, but I'd look into the amount of coursework needed for non science subjects, as having too much coursework may be something which drags down grades by reducing revision time.

Ok, thanks:smile:
Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you take at A-Level?

I also did Physics and AS Computer Science :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending