The Student Room Group

How to deal with birthday blues

Today, Valentine's Day, is my birthday. I share my birthday with one of my friends. She was the only person to give me a birthday present, or tell me "happy birthday" (excluding one teacher, my family and the people she forced to tell me "happy birthday":wink::wink:
All the people who I thought was my friend forgot about my birthday. How do I deal with birthday blues?

P.S. The person I shared my birthday with got a bouquet of flower, two birthday ballons, three cards and one full-blown gift.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Birthdays are meaningless anyway. I wouldn't dwell on it too much.
Original post by Bio 7
Birthdays are meaningless anyway. I wouldn't dwell on it too much.

Birthdays are not meaningless, and that does not help me one bit.
Reply 3
even if they did not say happy birthday im sure they care, and if they dont, you will find people that do.

you always have your family and isn't that more important?
Reply 4
Original post by veronillams
Birthdays are not meaningless, and that does not help me one bit.

It isn't as if you have achieved anything for the birthday, it's pointless recognition of a date when you were born. The only useful birthdays are 16, 17 and 18.

Perhaps this line of thought is why people neglected to say or do anything about it. Given you will face dissappointments again down the road this event is insubstantial.
Original post by Tom3198
even if they did not say happy birthday im sure they care, and if they dont, you will find people that do.

you always have your family and isn't that more important?

Family that I barely know or friends that I have known for years? I think friends are much more important.

Original post by Bio 7
It isn't as if you have achieved anything for the birthday, it's pointless recognition of a date when you were born. The only useful birthdays are 16, 17 and 18.

Perhaps this line of thought is why people neglected to say or do anything about it. Given you will face disappointments again down the road this event is insubstantial.

I take it that no one remembers your birthday too. That is the only reason why someone would hate birthdays this much.
Reply 6
Original post by veronillams
I take it that no one remembers your birthday too. That is the only reason why someone would hate birthdays this much.

People do remember my birthday and I'm not bitter. I just don't see why there is a reason to celebrate a day where the mother did the hard part rather than the person being celebrated. Not much reason for celebrating a yearly birthday as it doesn't mean anything.
Ngl, I really dont understand 'Birthday Blues'
Original post by Bio 7
People do remember my birthday and I'm not bitter. I just don't see why there is a reason to celebrate a day where the mother did the hard part rather than the person being celebrated. Not much reason for celebrating a yearly birthday as it doesn't mean anything.

I think you're being a bit hard on OP for no real reason. It's perfectly understandable for them to be upset if people they consider good friends did not wish them a happy birthday - it would upset me a great deal too - it's not too much to ask and it's a sign that your friends are engaged with you, to see them forget can be quite distressing. Something you should remember when trying to console someone is that not everyone is going to subscribe to your logic or world view, so it's best to be a little more forthcoming than dismissive, especially when the other person involved is upset. It may not matter to you, but it obviously matters to them.
Reply 9
Original post by Paracosm
I think you're being quite hard on OP for no real reason. It's perfectly understandable for them to be upset if people they consider good friends did not wish them a happy birthday - it would upset me a great deal too - it's not too much to ask and it's a sign that your friends are engaged with you, to see them forget can be quite distressing. Something you should remember when trying to console someone is that not everyone is going to subscribe to your logic or world view, so it's best to be a little more forthcoming than dismissive, especially when the other person involved is upset. It may not matter to you, but it obviously matters to them.

Fair point, maybe I'm just distracting from exam results by trying to cause an argument.
On the other hand I'm also trying to give a reason as to why others may not have remembered the birthday.

Quick Reply

Latest