The Student Room Group

A-Levels For Languages?

What would be the best A-Levels for a Languages degree (in either Spanish or French and Spanish)? Just out of interest:smile:

Scroll to see replies

3rd-year languages student here! :smile:

Obviously the language or languages themselves that you want to study are crucial. Beyond that there is nothing you have to do, so pick subjects you think you will enjoy. I and a number of my fellow languages students did mathsy/sciencey A-levels alongside our languages, though if you have a passion for literature you might want to consider English.

Bear in mind that A-levels are difficult and you will be focusing hard on a small number of subjects. Enjoying those subjects is really important if you want to do well.
I'm doing languages at uni soon too - currently I do Spanish A Level, History, and Art and Design. I don't think it really matters what else you do as long as your language(s) is (are) strong. Good luck!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
3rd-year languages student here! :smile:

Obviously the language or languages themselves that you want to study are crucial. Beyond that there is nothing you have to do, so pick subjects you think you will enjoy. I and a number of my fellow languages students did mathsy/sciencey A-levels alongside our languages, though if you have a passion for literature you might want to consider English.

Bear in mind that A-levels are difficult and you will be focusing hard on a small number of subjects. Enjoying those subjects is really important if you want to do well.

Ahh that's helpful!! Would you say a second language is useful even if you aren't taking it at degree level or not?
Original post by greycorns
I'm doing languages at uni soon too - currently I do Spanish A Level, History, and Art and Design. I don't think it really matters what else you do as long as your language(s) is (are) strong. Good luck!

Thank you:smile:
Would Spanish, French, English, Latin be good? :biggrin: (just wondering because these are my choices right now... I was considering maths, psychology or gov pol instead of Latin.. does it make a difference?)
Original post by tooschool4cool
Ahh that's helpful!! Would you say a second language is useful even if you aren't taking it at degree level or not?

For admissions purposes nobody is going to be bothered about whether you have a second language if you don't want to study that language at uni.

That said, I did A-level French and Spanish then dropped Spanish for German at uni, and the two languages at A-level did help each other along. You might also find that you want to stick with the other language by the time you get to applying!
Original post by mundosinfin
Would Spanish, French, English, Latin be good? :biggrin: (just wondering because these are my choices right now... I was considering maths, psychology or gov pol instead of Latin.. does it make a difference?)

I don't know much but they sound amazing!! From what people have told me, Latin is really helpful, especially if you are pursuing Latin-based languages (which you are). But yeah, idk so you should maybe call a uni and they'll help? Good luck:smile:
For admissions purposes nobody is going to be bothered about whether you have a second language if you don't want to study that language at uni.

That said, I did A-level French and Spanish then dropped Spanish for German at uni, and the two languages at A-level did help each other along. You might also find that you want to stick with the other language by the time you get to applying!

Ahh ok. Thanks you've been so helpful:smile:
I don't know much but they sound amazing!! From what people have told me, Latin is really helpful, especially if you are pursuing Latin-based languages (which you are). But yeah, idk so you should maybe call a uni and they'll help? Good luck:smile:

I was just wondering if anyone on this thread could help (namely the people who were advising you :smile:)

If you were particularly interested in doing linguistics as part of a degree in French and/or Spanish, then I could see why Latin might be handy (though only a bit handy certainly far from expected).

Basically any choice of subjects that includes the languages you want to study (barring of course any language you want to start as a beginner) and consists of subjects you enjoy is good. :yy:
If you were particularly interested in doing linguistics as part of a degree in French and/or Spanish, then I could see why Latin might be handy (though only a bit handy certainly far from expected).

Basically any choice of subjects that includes the languages you want to study (barring of course any language you want to start as a beginner) and consists of subjects you enjoy is good. :yy:

At the moment I do German, French, Spanish, Latin for GCSE (in the way of languages, that is) :smile: but if that's the case I think mine will be okay, thank you!!
Ahh ok. Thanks you've been so helpful:smile:

At the moment I do German, French, Spanish, Latin for GCSE (in the way of languages, that is) :smile: but if that's the case I think mine will be okay, thank you!!

That's a lot of languages. :wink:

Not a problem though guys and if you have questions about your language A-levels / applying to do languages, then please feel free to tag / quote / PM me and I'll give as much help as I can. :smile:
That's a lot of languages. :wink:

Not a problem though guys and if you have questions about your language A-levels / applying to do languages, then please feel free to tag / quote / PM me and I'll give as much help as I can. :smile:

Ok so would Maths, FM, Spanish and then French/Physics/English Language be a good combination? (I'm trying to leave my options open for Maths too)
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok so would Maths, FM, Spanish and then French/Physics/English Language be a good combination? (I'm trying to leave my options open for Maths too)

Yes, I don't see any reason why not. I did Maths and FM as well, and it's not uncommon amongst language students (the FM more so).
Yes, I don't see any reason why not. I did Maths and FM as well, and it's not uncommon amongst language students (the FM more so).

What A-Levels did you take and where are you studying now? Sorry to be so nosey ahah:smile:
What A-Levels did you take and where are you studying now? Sorry to be so nosey ahah:smile:

I did French, Spanish, Maths, FM and Chemistry, and am now doing French and German at Cambridge. :smile:
I did French, Spanish, Maths, FM and Chemistry, and am now doing French and German at Cambridge. :smile:

Oh my gosh that sounds so similar to the subjects I would want to study!! Did you find 5 A-Levels difficult? (What grades did you get in them and what grades did you get in your GCSEs? I'm just seeing if I could do this well ahah because I want to do Spanish, French, Maths, FM and Physics too maybe but I don't know if I could handle a fifth subject)
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh my gosh that sounds so similar to the subjects I would want to study!! Did you find 5 A-Levels difficult? (What grades did you get in them and what grades did you get in your GCSEs?)

It was a lot of work, yes, but I did Maths AS in Year 11 which made things a bit easier.

I got A*s in Maths and French and As in FM, Spanish and Chem. My Cambridge offer was A*AA.

At GCSE I had 7 A*s, 3 As and 2 Bs.
I take French at A-Level and it’s a great subject- just very difficult! I think the topics are way more in depth than I first realised (2nd year more so)
I think an important point is that you’ve got to be ready to have opinions on various subjects such as: same sex marriages, divorce, immigration, cyber bullying, racism, disabilities, trade unions etc
But not just in your primary language (for me English), but you’ve got to know them in your focus language (for me French. And you’ve got to be prepared to learn lots of facts on your language of choice’s culture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending