The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Triple Honours - qualifications?

Hi,
I'm an international applicant that is still trying to wrap my head around the Scottish honours system. My question: if you take a Triple Honours degree, could you then pursue a postgrad degree in any of the three subjects it includes? (i.e. would the level you reach in each of them be equivalent to what you would in a Single Honours degree)
(For context, I applied to IR + 2 Modern Languages.)

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I think it would be sensible to look at the entry requirements for postgraduate degrees you might be interested in. When I applied for postgraduate courses, I recall that quite a few required 50% of your honours courses at undergraduate level to have been in that subject. Remember also that at St Andrews you don't decide what your final degree course/combination of subjects will be until the end of the second year - so there's no rush just yet!
Did someone specifically tell you that you can pursue all three subjects to Honours level? Because I go to St Andrews, and I was under the impression that the most you could do was a Joint Honours degree with two subjects. I'm pretty sure you simply won't have enough time in your schedule to do all three the entire way.

That said, I'm doing Joint Honours Comp Sci and Econ and I will definitely be fully qualified in both by the end of my time here.
Reply 5
Original post by Pfalzgraf
I think it would be sensible to look at the entry requirements for postgraduate degrees you might be interested in. When I applied for postgraduate courses, I recall that quite a few required 50% of your honours courses at undergraduate level to have been in that subject. Remember also that at St Andrews you don't decide what your final degree course/combination of subjects will be until the end of the second year - so there's no rush just yet!

Thanks! I'll look into it... I guess the question is whether they consider the fact that although you may have had a lower percentage of courses in a certain subject, you've had a four-year degree (instead of only three yrs) to 'compensate' for that
Reply 6
Original post by JainaRose
Did someone specifically tell you that you can pursue all three subjects to Honours level? Because I go to St Andrews, and I was under the impression that the most you could do was a Joint Honours degree with two subjects. I'm pretty sure you simply won't have enough time in your schedule to do all three the entire way.

That said, I'm doing Joint Honours Comp Sci and Econ and I will definitely be fully qualified in both by the end of my time here.

Thanks for answering :smile: Yeah it is definitely a degree you can pursue, although if you're right I suppose maybe they would count the two languages as one Honours in ML (with two specializations). I guess then there will be a lower chance to get accepted to a postgrad degree in either of the two languages...
Reply 7
Is there anyone here that took the IR & Modern Languages degree and then got accepted (/had difficulties applying to) graduate degree programmes in only one of the three subjects?
Reply 8
Hi, I'm thinking about doing the same thing (2 modern languages and Latin). Did you ever find out the answer? And do they make you choose just 2 or can you do all 3 to honours?

Quick Reply

Latest