The Student Room Group

Your Opinion on Cultural Appropriation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
I've never discriminated in any way at all. I'm really sorry if I have but I also must say. As a black girl, I could never be racist. I could discriminate (but I don't).
I have to be in a position of superiority (e.g be white) in order to be racist.
And I'm a black girl!

If you discriminate based on race, you're racist.
We're all equal.
i wanna die why r u so dumb how did u get a scholarship oh my goodness
Original post by S.olk
I have no clue what you are on about

Elon Musk was quite opinionated and controversial as a young kid. It got him a lot of hate but at the end of the day, he studied hard. Went to a top world university, hired and fired his nay-sayers.
Original post by S.olk
As a black woman, I agree with you! Judging from the said person's thoughts in other threads, they want to have a problem with everything and it's quite boring.

But as I said before, if white people are growing dreads as a fashion statement or to look cool, that is where I draw the line. Dreads have been used as a way of black people being discriminated for so long and for someone to wear them because "its trendy" doesn't run. People are literally being denied jobs because of what grows out of their scalp so using it for fashion isn't cool.

That’s good to hear!

Tbh all of the white people dreads i’ve seen look crappy, it just doesn’t work the same with the hair type. I definitely see the reasoning behind people not wanting dreads to be appropriated and in most cases the people that have them don’t understand or appreciate the history. I was just using it in the context of when people point blank say “no white people can do this” as she was insinuating that doesn’t happen lol.
Original post by unknown_usr
If you discriminate based on race, you're racist.
We're all equal.
i wanna die why r u so dumb how did u get a scholarship oh my goodness

How am I dumb?

I almost always get 100% in Maths tests. I'm the top performer in my year group for over 6 subjects. I'm predicted 9s and 8s and I have around 17 schools offering or offered to me a full bursary/scholarship.

I'm just an opinionated black woman, I get that you want to silence me.
Why are you agreeing with the white girl and not me yet this is what I've been saying #foundit

You are a white girl who has failed to give their opinion on cultural appropriation.

The ~white girl~ has a username that you could refer to her by. Nobody would dare to call you "the black girl" and anybody that calls me "the brown girl" is going to taste the back of my hand. The emphasis you place on her skin colour in a discussion like this is inappropriate and pretty ironic, considering your argument. Though, that's just the entire SJW scene in a nutshell.
Reply 45
Original post by Wōden
Like "white privilege" and "microaggressions", it's just another bulls**t concept, made up by the perpetually offended who are seemingly running out of things to get offended over.

You forgot rape culture.
Well nothing you say is actually worthwhile on this thread.
You are a white girl who has failed to give their opinion on cultural appropriation.

You seem to be the only one with that opinion!

My first post did exactly that... but okay :top:
Original post by cat_mac
So it’s just that i’m white then.

Nothing I have posted has any connection to your reply aside from my example of dreadlocks, in answer to you asking “who said that white people can’t have X hairstyle?”

Since you don’t have any actual replies to the content of my posts, only the colour of my skin, I’m done with this conversation. Have a good one :erm:

When TSR's white feminist sides with the boys to take down the racists loooool.
Reply 48
No.
They claim it is in style with their ancestors
Yet when you further question them they don't know what they're talking about.
It is clearly a cover-up as they almost-always get their dreads done in a black salon.

You'd expect them to know the special name of their ancestors hairstyle if it was the case. They don't and they use the african american term.

An argument from etymology is very, very weak in this context. The meaning is agreed to be the same in all but the most extreme quarters, thus it doesn't matter. If I called them jata it would mean the precise same thing.
How am I dumb?

I almost always get 100% in Maths tests. I'm the top performer in my year group for over 6 subjects. I'm predicted 9s and 8s and I have around 17 schools offering or offered to me a full bursary/scholarship.

For someone supposedly good at maths, I'm surprised how illogical your beliefs are. It's not that you're opinionated or that you're black, it's that your opinion is dumb and that's why I'm disagreeing, not trying to silence you.
Reply 50
Elon Musk was quite opinionated and controversial as a young kid. It got him a lot of hate but at the end of the day, he studied hard. Went to a top world university, hired and fired his nay-sayers.

There's a difference between being "opinionated or controversial" and being a ****. People like you want to be offended by everything and that is why we can't have proper conversations.
How am I dumb?

You can evidently be academically smart and still lack a shred of ****ing common sense.
No.
They claim it is in style with their ancestors
Yet when you further question them they don't know what they're talking about.
It is clearly a cover-up as they almost-always get their dreads done in a black salon.

You'd expect them to know the special name of their ancestors hairstyle if it was the case. They don't and they use the african american term.

I might have the wrong end of the stick here but surely any of us could be ignorant of the historical origins of the cultural phenomena we adopt or make use of. I like a spicy curry takeaway, for example, but should I routinely make the Asian assistants who serves me aware of the American origin of chillies in food?
Reply 53
I've never discriminated in any way at all. I'm really sorry if I have but I also must say. As a black girl, I could never be racist. I could discriminate (but I don't).
I have to be in a position of superiority (e.g be white) in order to be racist.
And I'm a black girl!

I don't believe in this 'whites are in a position of superiority' crap, but even if that was true, you can still be racist to whites, as being racist is to show prejudice against someone or a group due to their race (which, 'white is regarded as a race, so do the math), the meaning doesn't change. If whites were in a position of power, they can still be a victim of racism. If other ethnic groups were in a position of power, they can still be a victim of racism. Simple.

You are not Elon Musk though and will never be anywhere close to that man's talent. You are just a racist pos on a student forum, quite possibly psychotic and definetly up high on the autistic spectrum. Sit down, be humble.
How am I dumb?

It would be ironic if that attitude made you screw up A levels. GCSEs are very different.

Also, what if the issue is SOME people giving praise to only white people with dreadlocks and not white people themselves wearing it.
How does a white person wearing dreadlocks being complimented make it more likely for a black person to be dissed off for the same hair style? It doesn't and it's not anyone in this thread's fault.
Original post by StayInYourLane
You are not Elon Musk though and will never be anywhere close to that man's talent. You are just a racist pos on a student forum, quite possibly psychotic and definetly up high on the autistic spectrum. Sit down, be humble.

His company offered me work experience for 2019 January.
Over 20,000 people apply and 7 students get selected from across the world.
I had to do 5 aptitude tests.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
When TSR's white feminist sides with the boys to take down the racists loooool.

Not even a feminist lmao, I prefer being called a catfish :rofl:
Reply 58
How am I dumb?

Frankly, not much of us care about what race you are, your opinion is evaluated the same way as everyone else's. You, however, are the only one who wants to draw attention to this even though you being black or a woman is not the reason why someone disagrees with you. And why are you referring to a user as only a 'white girl'? What's so significant about that?
(edited 6 years ago)
His company offered me work experience for 2019 January.
Over 20,000 people apply and 7 students get selected from across the world.
I had to do 5 aptitude tests.

Give us some evidence why don't you?
Also link the application website too.

Either way. It's a shame that real jobs require good communication skills and that no one here cares about this as it has nothing to do with the debate.

Quick Reply

Latest