The Student Room Group

Is having an 'all black' party racist?

Some of my black friends recently had a party - a party which they said and were blatant about being 'all-black'. I couldn't help but think if that was the other way round [i'm white] it would be horrifically racist? Am I the only one thinking this?

Scroll to see replies

Yep. From any other race this is seen as empowering. White people aren’t allowed to do such things because we are still paying the price and being blamed for actions and decisions our ancestors took many years ago, regardless of whether we hold the same beliefs or not.

For ones whom complain so much about white privilege, they don’t half like to make the most of their own
It's absolutely racist, doesn't matter which skin colour is the "allowed" one.
Original post by del1rious
Yep. From any other race this is seen as empowering. White people aren’t allowed to do such things because we are still paying the price and being blamed for actions and decisions our ancestors took many years ago, regardless of whether we hold the same beliefs or not.

For ones whom complain so much about white privilege, they don’t half like to make the most of their own

Original post by VinnicombeDmv
It's absolutely racist, doesn't matter which skin colour is the "allowed" one.

you two literally give me faith in humanity and common sense. thank u
Reply 4
Is the Black Panther movie racist then?
Imagine you had an African mate and he was like "oh yeah, only African people are allowed to come". Of course that's racist.. making it so that only a specific race is allowed to attend is discriminatory and unjust.
Original post by unknown_usr
Some of my black friends recently had a party - a party which they said and were blatant about being 'all-black'. I couldn't help but think if that was the other way round [i'm white] it would be horrifically racist? Am I the only one thinking this?

In an ideal world it would be racist but it's not an ideal world. Historically black people have had to deal with all kinds of prejudice, institutional and otherwise, so forming a group to defend themselves makes sense. Superficially it looks like a double standard but a willingness to recognise that some things have important historical contexts, can go a long way.
Original post by 0lut0
Is the Black Panther movie racist then?

I don't know anything about the movie and haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but isn't part of its praise that it's primarily about African characters? It's not racist to have a cast of black actors if the characters are all meant to be black.....
Original post by Axiomasher
In an ideal world it would be racist but it's not an ideal world. Historically black people have had to deal with all kinds of prejudice, institutional and otherwise, so forming a group to defend themselves makes sense. Superficially it looks like a double standard but a willingness to recognise that some things have important historical contexts, can go a long way.

No way is ignoring atrocities committed against black people by white people and other cultures, but that doesn't excuse the racism. Are other 'races' being excluded purely based on the colour of their skin? Yes. Does that fit the definition of racism? Also yes.

Not everything needs a historical context.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
No way is ignoring atrocities committed against black people by white people and other cultures, but that doesn't excuse the racism. Are other 'races' being excluded purely based on the colour of their skin? Yes. Does that fit the definition of racism? Also yes.

Not everything needs a historical context.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe black people are still enduring significant prejudice such that it makes sense to form a black party. Personally I think it is probably counter productive in contemporary British society but then I'm not black and can't speak of a first-hand experience. True, not everything can be justified by historical contexts but lots of things can at least be understood by reference to them.
This is the sort of nonsense I would expect from an American not the UK.
yes, if there was a deliberate effort to not include other races on the basis of their skin colour
Reply 12
Soo...are afro-Caribbean communities in universities racist because they only allow black people to join them? If they host a party which only invites black people because it's an acs party it would be considered racist?

No. Just no.
Original post by unknown_usr

Private part they are allowed to. Same as if all white.
Public party it would be illegal.

Is it racist, yes in the sense it is race driven.

Right, you could say the same for the Irish. Who also went through slavery in the 17th and 18th century. And had to do deal with a lot of oppression, bigotry, hatred and discrimination in the 19th century.

The bat swings both ways.

Yet you never see an all Irish party.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 0lut0
Soo...are afro-Caribbean communities in universities racist because they only allow black people to join them? If they host a party which only invites black people because it's an acs party it would be considered racist?

But ACSs around the country do not do that-speaking from personal experience, people of all races are allowed to be members etc.
Original post by Monclér
Right, you could the same for the Irish. Who also went through slavery in the 17th and 18th century. And had to do deal with a lot of oppression, bigotry, hatred and discrimination in the 19th century.

There is an Irish pub in my local area in which no one is not Irish enters as the people are rude to anyone not Irish.
Original post by Monclér
Right, you could the same for the Irish. Who also went through slavery in the 17th and 18th century. And had to do deal with a lot of oppression, bigotry, hatred and discrimination in the 19th century.

That's a fair attempt but it's not quite the same thing. An Irish person isn't so easily made the victim of prejudice by appearance alone, for example,because they are predominantly 'white', Also, prejudice against the Irish in England has historically had a strongly religious bias (i.e. much of the prejudice had an anti-Catholic slant even though there were, and are, plenty of non-Catholic Irish). I assume you're unfamiliar with the widespread phenomenon of Irish clubs which emerged across England across the 19th and 20th centuries, easily seen as centres of self-defence and mutual association.
Original post by erratic_deus
You can only be racist if you're white.

whoop there it is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending