The Student Room Group

*DO NOT READ* The most boring GYG in the history of GYGs.

Scroll to see replies

DAY 2 - morning - 8:30am

Morning all, if anyone is awake haha, I've been up for about an hour now writing up my ecosystem flashcards, I'm currently at my dads place, I find it easier to study there, and he wakes up rather early which I guess helps me too. On a non-related school note, yesterday evening was quite painful for my spine, my muscles were refusing to cooperate? I don't know, but I have physio first thing tomorrow :smile:

edit: Just wanted to add something, I doubt a lot of people will read this blog, but a lot of people seem to have lack of motivation to work, and I wont lie, I used to as well. But where do you see yourself in the future? I asked that question to myself, and the answer involved having exceptional grades, so I guess that's what I'm striving for. Also, I haven't had the easiest time at school for various reasons, and a lot of other students assume that because of my absence this year(and last) that I couldn't possibly be successful, and for me its about proving those people wrong, on results day opening up my grades and showing that through the face of adversity, I persevered and got the grades I wanted, that I worked for. This may seem like I am exaggerating, and other people have it a lot worse than me, which they may, and I pray that they succeed too, but difficulties are all subjective to everyone's opinion. And this surgery, the whole condition is my "difficulty". I don't know if Ill come out with straight 7,8,9s, but I do know for sure that I can only strive for those grades. And how amazing would it be to look back on this in August, knowing that I did it? That's my motivation.
(edited 6 years ago)

DAY 2 - afternoon - 3pm

Took a few breaks today, but pretty much completed biology topic 9 flashcards, and about a third of topic 7 revision notes. Onto physics!

Day 3/4 :

Hi guys, well I'm pretty sure like no one is reading this but I'm going to post on anyway lmao. Sorry I completely forgot to post yesterday, but heres a combined entry thing of the past 2 days;

Day 3:

So Physio ended up being a lot better this time than I thought, although we had to be there relatively early in the morning, I ended up staying for a "rehabilitation class". It's a class in one of the therapy gyms where a rehab programme is specifically tailored to your condition, so for me, one of the physiotherapists designed a programme and set me up on different types of equipment for about an hour. It was surprisingly really fun, and there were only two other patients in the class today, also, the room was quite incredible! It sounds corny, but an entire wall was basically windows, so the view of the city combined with sunrise was actually amazing. The session also took my mind off revision for a while too :smile: The rest of the day pretty much consisted of revision, I'll post pictures tomorrow because I'm way too tired sigh

Day 4 (today):

I woke up at around 8:30 this morning, and began German revision. To be honest, if it was one GCSE I had to choose to remove out of my subjects, it'd probably be that! I honestly just find the subject so draining and I feel I've lost nearly all enthusiasm for it compared to Year 7-10. The new spec for languages is so difficult but I really do need that grade 7 in it, so i've got to just plough on and fake liking it till i make it! So here comes something actually interesting; during a break from german revision I went to check my emails, and I saw I'd had an interview offer for my top choice of college! Honestly I was so excited, and still am, but simultaneously nervous because it's quite a prestigious college, and I have no idea as to what sort of questions they'd ask me! If anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated haha

So throughout the day, I did English Language paper 1 revision, Biology (animal coordination, control & homeostasis), Chemistry (fuels and earth science) , more german writing and vocab revision, and some tassomai. I feel I could've done more today, and I really do need to finish making notes/posters and flashcards by the end of this month. Who thinks its possible?
Original post by aspiring-student

Day 3/4 :

Hi guys, well I'm pretty sure like no one is reading this but I'm going to post on anyway lmao. Sorry I completely forgot to post yesterday, but heres a combined entry thing of the past 2 days;

Day 3:

So Physio ended up being a lot better this time than I thought, although we had to be there relatively early in the morning, I ended up staying for a "rehabilitation class". It's a class in one of the therapy gyms where a rehab programme is specifically tailored to your condition, so for me, one of the physiotherapists designed a programme and set me up on different types of equipment for about an hour. It was surprisingly really fun, and there were only two other patients in the class today, also, the room was quite incredible! It sounds corny, but an entire wall was basically windows, so the view of the city combined with sunrise was actually amazing. The session also took my mind off revision for a while too :smile: The rest of the day pretty much consisted of revision, I'll post pictures tomorrow because I'm way too tired sigh

Day 4 (today):

I woke up at around 8:30 this morning, and began German revision. To be honest, if it was one GCSE I had to choose to remove out of my subjects, it'd probably be that! I honestly just find the subject so draining and I feel I've lost nearly all enthusiasm for it compared to Year 7-10. The new spec for languages is so difficult but I really do need that grade 7 in it, so i've got to just plough on and fake liking it till i make it! So here comes something actually interesting; during a break from german revision I went to check my emails, and I saw I'd had an interview offer for my top choice of college! Honestly I was so excited, and still am, but simultaneously nervous because it's quite a prestigious college, and I have no idea as to what sort of questions they'd ask me! If anyone has any advice it'd be much appreciated haha

So throughout the day, I did English Language paper 1 revision, Biology (animal coordination, control & homeostasis), Chemistry (fuels and earth science) , more german writing and vocab revision, and some tassomai. I feel I could've done more today, and I really do need to finish making notes/posters and flashcards by the end of this month. Who thinks its possible?

Do you have any tips for language GCSEs?
Is the college in question LAE?
Original post by laurawatt
:yep:
We're doing the exact opposite for English! I'm studying Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol. For the antholog I am doing the power and conflict ones :biggrin:

I did exactly all of them except Christmas carol, I did great expectations, im just curious how u are finding Christmas carol as some of my friends who did it said they really enjoyed reading it up untill Christmas then afterwards it was painstaking
Hey! After seeing this * DO NOT READ* The most boring GYG in the history of GYGs. I was like damn, I've got to check this blog out now, I like it, reverse pyschology! Hehhe :laugh:. Good luck with your interview man, rooting for you!

My advise would be - Be confident and believe that the seat at that college is yours- No one else's. Even if your nervous/not confident, pretend you are and be interactive with them e.g. eye contact, knodding, smiling etc. The first impression of you will mould your profile in your favour. Good luck.
YOU CAN DO THIS!! :dumbells:
Original post by Ihatelife2
Do you have any tips for language GCSEs?
Is the college in question LAE?

I’m lucky enough to still be doing the old GCSE for one of my languages (Mandarin) so for that I only really have to learn vocabulary so I use quizlet, as for german lol it’s so much harder! I still use quizlet to learn AQA’s official vocabulary list, but apparently for writing the best thing to do is to memorise as many sophisticated phrases as you can. I’m not sure if your school has prepped your speaking in a similar way to mine, but I just use my answers to different topics of speaking questions, write them up on flashcards (question one side, answer the other) so in a way i’m memorising speaking and writing at the same time? I’ve also been using revision guides and workbooks :smile:

As for the college, yes it was LAE! How did you know haha
Original post by ReadySalted28
Hey! After seeing this * DO NOT READ* The most boring GYG in the history of GYGs. I was like damn, I've got to check this blog out now, I like it, reverse pyschology! Hehhe :laugh:. Good luck with your interview man, rooting for you!

My advise would be - Be confident and believe that the seat at that college is yours- No one else's. Even if your nervous/not confident, pretend you are and be interactive with them e.g. eye contact, knodding, smiling etc. The first impression of you will mould your profile in your favour. Good luck.

Hehe i’m glad you like it, and thank you! I really appreciate that advice :smile:
Original post by nyxnko_
YOU CAN DO THIS!! :dumbells:

YESS!!!!!!!
Original post by KyloRen1048
I did exactly all of them except Christmas carol, I did great expectations, im just curious how u are finding Christmas carol as some of my friends who did it said they really enjoyed reading it up untill Christmas then afterwards it was painstaking

Our teacher planned our lessons so that we would finish A Christmas Carol in the last week before Christmas, meaning we didn't have to study it afterwards :yes:

Spoiler

Day 3:

Day 4 (today):

I'm glad your physio went well! Keep going :biggrin:
That's fantastic that you did revision all day! Hope it was useful :smile:
Good luck for your interview. Advice: be you, stay true to yourself, but be confident in yourself. Show them what you got!
Have a good day - you've inspired me to go do some work
Original post by Martins1
Good luck for your interview. Advice: be you, stay true to yourself, but be confident in yourself. Show them what you got!

Thank you! definitely going to take that advice on board :smile: and it means a lot that I’ve inspired you to work, we’ve got this!
Original post by Martins1

Thank you! definitely going to take that advice on board :smile: and it means a lot that I’ve inspired you to work, we’ve got this!
I’m lucky enough to still be doing the old GCSE for one of my languages (Mandarin) so for that I only really have to learn vocabulary so I use quizlet, as for german lol it’s so much harder! I still use quizlet to learn AQA’s official vocabulary list, but apparently for writing the best thing to do is to memorise as many sophisticated phrases as you can. I’m not sure if your school has prepped your speaking in a similar way to mine, but I just use my answers to different topics of speaking questions, write them up on flashcards (question one side, answer the other) so in a way i’m memorising speaking and writing at the same time? I’ve also been using revision guides and workbooks :smile:

As for the college, yes it was LAE! How did you know haha

I do Spanish and it is crazyyy hard. I'm going to try and learn some sophisticated phrases as per your suggestion. My school has a pretty similar approach.
I got an email yesterday morning from LAE as well thats why I just guessed. I actually applied because I was just bored. I'm not sure I even want to go there. It's in East London and I live in West London. I really want to go Harris Westminster but I'm not sure if I will get in :frown:
I do Spanish and it is crazyyy hard. I'm going to try and learn some sophisticated phrases as per your suggestion. My school has a pretty similar approach.
I got an email yesterday morning from LAE as well thats why I just guessed. I actually applied because I was just bored. I'm not sure I even want to go there. It's in East London and I live in West London. I really want to go Harris Westminster but I'm not sure if I will get in :frown:

Honestly the new language GCSE requires too much, its almost as though we just have to be native speakers of the language; hoping the grade boundaries are lower than usual this year. And ah I see, a few of my friends want to attend Harris Westminster, I didn't end up applying as I felt LAE was a better fit for me, personally. Good luck in your application though, I hope you do get in. Did you get an interview yet? If so, how do you think it went?
Honestly the new language GCSE requires too much, its almost as though we just have to be native speakers of the language; hoping the grade boundaries are lower than usual this year. And ah I see, a few of my friends want to attend Harris Westminster, I didn't end up applying as I felt LAE was a better fit for me, personally. Good luck in your application though, I hope you do get in. Did you get an interview yet? If so, how do you think it went?

Yup I find it really hard and it would be a real blessing if they did go down. Thank you so much. I did get an interview at Harris and I was so nervous which is why I felt it went so badly. I answered the questions but I was so nervous when I was speaking. I'm pretty sure you will get accepted into LAE as a result of your hardworking attitude. Don't worry.
Yup I find it really hard and it would be a real blessing if they did go down. Thank you so much. I did get an interview at Harris and I was so nervous which is why I felt it went so badly. I answered the questions but I was so nervous when I was speaking. I'm pretty sure you will get accepted into LAE as a result of your hardworking attitude. Don't worry.

There were probably tons of other people interviewed that were as nervous or even more nervous than yourself, and with potentially lower predicted grades than you. Don't beat yourself up over it, you're clearly very academically able, and the college should take that into account. Also, potentially there may have been students who weren't nervous, but gave the wrong impression, you know. Good luck, and thank you :smile: I hope we both get into the colleges we want!
There were probably tons of other people interviewed that were as nervous or even more nervous than yourself, and with potentially lower predicted grades than you. Don't beat yourself up over it, you're clearly very academically able, and the college should take that into account. Also, potentially there may have been students who weren't nervous, but gave the wrong impression, you know. Good luck, and thank you :smile: I hope we both get into the colleges we want!

Thanks. Same here. I hope you do get a place at LAE. LAE will regret it on results day if they don't.
Thanks. Same here. I hope you do get a place at LAE. LAE will regret it on results day if they don't.

That really means a lot, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending