The Student Room Group

Your Opinion on Cultural Appropriation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
Cultural Appropriation exists.
I'm a black girl so I will speak from my perspective and for something I know about.

The natural hair movement.

In 40's America, African Americans were ostracised for embracing their hair the way it grows.
The whole 4c hair that grows naturally from their scalp. They were encouraged to relax, tex-lax or chemically change their hair.
It wasn't beautiful enough.
It wasn't white enough.

Some didn't want to conform to this standard, so this is when braids became widespread amongst the black community.
It was a way for black people to embrace their texture but keep it "in code" enough for white America.

This hair was never accepted though, it was called ugly, unkempt and "nappy".
When the hair is left in braids for so long, the hair becomes matted.
The white peoples called this "nappy" hair. They made African Americans hate their hair texture from the beginning.
This is when weaves and other methods also became popular. No matter what black americans did to their hair, it was always nappy.
So covering it was their solution.

A few decades later, African Americans had their own established communities!
Africans from the motherland started migrating to America with their own natural hair.
They weren't offered jobs because their hair was viewed "messy" or "inappropriate"
Children are kicked out of school because their hair is "unkempt" yet it is the way the hair naturally grows!
https://mic.com/articles/177839/florida-school-told-black-teen-her-afro-was-too-extreme-needs-to-be-fixed#.b931i737v

So one day in 2010 America, a white woman decided she wanted to have an afro. She called it "crazy" hair.
She wore it and everyone admired her for her beauty.
Yet black people are sidelined for theirs.

So another day in modern America, a white woman decided to get fulani braids. She called it "Bo Derek" braids.
https://www.essence.com/hair/kim-kardashian-bo-derek-fulani-braid-problematic
She wore it and everyone admired her for her beauty.
Yet black people are called "nappy headed" and much worse, the N-word.

Do you see how terrible Cultural Appropriation is? I find it an insult.

To any black woman who happens to read this! Wear your natural hair! I'm wearing mine...

You're clearly just trying to show off your hair. Congratulations, you have nice hair...
Original post by Andrew97
https://www.windsor-fellowship.org/national-audit-office-summer-internship-

See the eligibility criteria.
Doesn’t look like white privilege to me, in fact quite the opposite.

Social Mobility is hardly racism!
It is trying to remove any existing inequalities.
Next!
Next!

Making the colour of your skin part of the eligibility criteria is racist.

If it said, only apply if your white, then you would be screaming racist.

Spare me the social mobility bull crap.
Original post by KatheO11
Do you even know what racism is? You can be racist. As a black person, black people can be so racist, and say so much about white and asians, stereotyping them due to ignorance. You're a racist and you can't use your race as an excuse. That is blatant stupidity.

Racism by definition is : prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

The only people who fit the criteria to be racist are white people!
I don't think my race is better than any other. I'm inferior. I'm a minority.
Next!

"Next!"

That's no way to talk to a person. Who the f*** you think you're talking to, you jew motherfu***er you. Have some repsect for that user.
Hey! I understand quite a lot of you are white and you may not agree with my posts.
But calling me thick, stupid and dumb isn't exactly enlightening my resolve as to why I think X exists.
Can any of you please show me a case of where white privilege has never occured?
Can any of you please tell me what you think microaggressions are?

In this thread, there was a micro-aggression towards me. They said "****" when referring to my profile picture and my hair. Which is what I addressed on page 1 of this thread.
White people think my hair is nappy.
Yet a white girl who curls their hair, to the same type as mine will be viewed "beautiful" and so forth.

Thank you.

The guy who was referring to your profile picture in a derogatory manner was appalling. But you generalize white people, not all of them think your hair is 'nappy' (whatever the hell that means), or find another white girl with curls attractive. That's what's ticking everybody off on this thread, you're seeing single news stories about appalling things a white person does, or view what some whites did in the past, and blame and dissipate your frustration on all current generation white people who haven't done anything of the sort to you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Making the colour of your skin part of the eligibility criteria is racist.

If it said, only apply if your white, then you would be screaming racist.

Spare me the social mobility bull crap.

This is because white people already have everything.

But talk from your perspective.
Did you want to apply to this program?
Original post by k.n.h.
The guy who was referring to your profile picture in a derogatory manner was appalling. But you generalize white people, not all of them think your hair is 'nappy' (whatever the hell that means), or find another white girl with curls attractive. That's what's ticking everybody off on this thread, you're seeing single news stories about appalling things a white person does, or view what whites did in the past, and blame and dissapate your frustration on all white people who haven't done anything of the sort to you.

So it is okay for that person to be racist to me basically?
This is because white people already have everything.

But talk from your perspective.
Did you want to apply to this program?

I’ve had enough of you. You asked for an example where white privilege didn’t exist. I gave you one, And you still argue against it.

It would have been nice to be able to apply, but because of the colour of my skin, I couldn’t and that is racist. End of.

And white people dont already have everything so spare me the crap.
Original post by k.n.h.
The guy who was referring to your profile picture in a derogatory manner was appalling. But you generalize white people, not all of them think your hair is 'nappy' (whatever the hell that means), or find another white girl with curls attractive. That's what's ticking everybody off on this thread, you're seeing single news stories about appalling things a white person does, or view what whites did in the past, and blame and dissapate your frustration on all white people who haven't done anything of the sort to you.

I am black, so if anything we are more vile than white people. Her argument is s***

Yes, you deserve all the hate there is, you piece of s***
Original post by wonderuss
You're clearly just trying to show off your hair. Congratulations, you have nice hair...

Thanks!

But not everyone likes my curls!
Racism by definition is : prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

BELIEF. Learn to read.

Anyone can believe that they are above others. Your straight 9s mean nothing, fool.

You view it as such, not all other people. You're the one with a victim complex. Also, you're misinterpreting the meaning, the definition is applied to individuals, it says the 'on the belief that one's own race is superior', and individual people of any race can discriminate based on the belief that their own race is superior. And as AspiringUnderdog helpfully pointed out, anyone can believe their own race is superior to others.
(edited 6 years ago)
A bad black person who has massacred 250 native americans?
A bad black person who created the KKK?
A bad black person who killed over 11 million people?
A bad black person who believes their race is superior?
A bad black person who killed 50 people at a concert?
A bad black person who killed an all white congregation at church?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide
The massacre of approximately 70% of a population (up to 1,000,000 people)? Including children in a church?

You might also like to look into black on black violence and statistics like this one (bellow) which are actual current day issues rather than holding the actions of our ancestors against us:
"In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer."
https://nypost.com/2017/09/26/all-that-kneeling-ignores-the-real-cause-of-soaring-black-homicides/

And blacks weren't the only victims of historical violence and hate crimes. Other races and groups were including homosexuals, the disabled, women and white slaves.

All sorts of people are capable of all sorts of bad things and judging an entire race for the wrongdoings of their ancestors is just as racist as assuming a black person is good at picking cotton.

Spoiler

I’ve had enough of you. You asked for an example where white privilege didn’t exist. I gave you one, And you still argue against it.

It would have been nice to be able to apply, but because of the colour of my skin, I couldn’t and that is racist. End of.

And white people dont already have everything so spare me the crap.

You're very bitter.
You're very bitter.

And hypocrite of the year goes to.....

Please point to me where I have said that.
Original post by Kindred
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide
The massacre of approximately 70% of a population (up to 1,000,000 people)? Including children in a church?

You might also like to look into black on black violence and statistics like this one (bellow) which are actual current day issues rather than holding the actions of our ancestors against us:
"In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer."
https://nypost.com/2017/09/26/all-that-kneeling-ignores-the-real-cause-of-soaring-black-homicides/

And blacks weren't the only victims of historical violence and hate crimes. Other races and groups were including homosexuals, the disabled, women and white slaves.

All sorts of people are capable of all sorts of bad things and judging an entire race for the wrongdoings of their ancestors is just as racist as assuming a black person is good at picking cotton.

Spoiler

This isn't racism. This is black stupidity!
Original post by k.n.h.
Please point to me where I have said that.

You said "but" as if my comments make it ok for someone to speak in such a way to a woman.
Original post by StayInYourLane
I am black, so if anything we are more vile than white people. Her argument is s***

Yes, you deserve all the hate there is, you piece of s***

What? You think you're vile just because you're black? That's just sad and wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending