The Student Room Group

I need a new laptop...

i dont want to spend loads on it, i just need it for streaming videos, music etc and doing courses for work...

What laptops/macbooks have you got, how much, where did you get them and are they any good! i would prefer lightweight as i often take it to the pub or to a friends :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KylieemilyJ
i dont want to spend loads on it, i just need it for streaming videos, music etc and doing courses for work...

What laptops/macbooks have you got, how much, where did you get them and are they any good! i would prefer lightweight as i often take it to the pub or to a friends :smile:

In my asda there's a notebook for £160 and a regular laptop for £249. Pretty good prices.
Don't fall for buying chromebooks or similar, can't get the job done.
Original post by gussssss
In my asda there's a notebook for £160 and a regular laptop for £249. Pretty good prices.

Is this online too? im gonna have a look now:smile: Thanks
I know you can get laptops from Currys PC World that cost around £180. I have the Lenovo Ideapad 100s for school and it gets the job done. I paid £160 for it. You could also consider the upgraded model (Lenovo Idepead 120s, 11 inch) from Argos for £180, or the similarly priced (I think) HP Stream 11. It really depends on how much power you want. But you should be able to find a laptop for doing the things you said for relatively cheap, definitely under £250. But as someone else said, don't go for a Chromebook. They may look good (and for some people, they might be) but for the everyday person, not being able to run programs and stuff just isn't gonna work out. A cheap Windows laptop should do the trick for you just fine :smile:
Amazon have some brilliant prices and let you filter for not only price, but weight, ratings, OS, etc. Last one I purchased on there was perfect.

Also, I agree with Harold. Don't buy a Chromebook as the functionality simply isn't there.

Let me know if this helps!
Original post by Harold Saxon
Don't fall for buying chromebooks or similar, can't get the job done.

Ill keep that in mind, i think Chromebooks are probably more pricey too :frown:
Original post by ellie.h29
I know you can get laptops from Currys PC World that cost around £180. I have the Lenovo Ideapad 100s for school and it gets the job done. I paid £160 for it. You could also consider the upgraded model (Lenovo Idepead 120s, 11 inch) from Argos for £180, or the similarly priced (I think) HP Stream 11. It really depends on how much power you want. But you should be able to find a laptop for doing the things you said for relatively cheap, definitely under £250. But as someone else said, don't go for a Chromebook. They may look good (and for some people, they might be) but for the everyday person, not being able to run programs and stuff just isn't gonna work out. A cheap Windows laptop should do the trick for you just fine :smile:

Ill keep an eye out for those. Ive heard Ideapads are meant to be really good :P
Original post by Apocalyps
Amazon have some brilliant prices and let you filter for not only price, but weight, ratings, OS, etc. Last one I purchased on there was perfect.

Also, I agree with Harold. Don't buy a Chromebook as the functionality simply isn't there.

Let me know if this helps!

Hey. yeah your reply was a big help! I will have another look on Amazon, all the processor details confuse me and i never know how much RAM and Memory is gonna be enough for me
Ah, I see. Well based on your requirements, I wouldn't worry too much about the processor as you will probably not notice much difference in speed.

As for speed, I would focus on RAM and storage.
RAM pretty much is a fast storage space for small items like opening programmes, etc. I currently have only 4GB and have no issues opening programmes or large files. Mind you, I'm not doing gaming or large video editing.
Storage will be either HDD (Hard Disc Drive) or SSD (Solid State Drive). HDDs are less expensive but slower. SSDs are just the opposite; however, you usually spend over £200 with SSD computers that you can purchase off the shelf.

I just did a search and found >20 which have 4GB RAM, <2.5kg, <£200, and a sizable HDD for what you'd need in storing music, videos, etc.

Is this kind of what you were concerned about?
Is this online too? im gonna have a look now:smile: Thanks

I'm unsure. If not go to your local supermarket in the electronics section :smile: I think currys do the same prices for these laptops, they're HP Everyday laptops, pretty much the best prices for what you need in the £250-300 price range. I find it's best to stay away from notebooks due to longevity reasons. It's a wiser investment to go for the lasting laptop, notebooks are so easily damaged and worn down. Speaking as someone who's notebook recently just died, rip. I'm going for the HP everyday one too :smile:
You should do well with 2GB. I'd say 4GB to be safe, it makes for better gaming. Also the processor shouldn't really matter for what you state you use it for, but if there are any games you play check their specifications and see what RAM and processor will run them. You should make sure not to burn out your laptop like I did, so take into account what you use.
Hey so i ended up getting a Lenovo Ideapad 320 from currys and its actually quite good imo. Thanks everyone for the replies and help:smile:
Hey so i ended up getting a Lenovo Ideapad 320 from currys and its actually quite good imo. Thanks everyone for the replies and help:smile:

I'd totally go for one of those if I wasn't a cheapskate, they seem great. Enjoy :smile:
I'd totally go for one of those if I wasn't a cheapskate, they seem great. Enjoy :smile:

I'm a super cheapskate too, it was one of the cheaper ones in the store :P but the cheapest were HP which the guy said was not a good idea....

Practically any laptop can do that.

I recommend Lenovo Thinkpad - been touted as the best laptop keyboard too
I'm a super cheapskate too, it was one of the cheaper ones in the store :P but the cheapest were HP which the guy said was not a good idea....

I'm torn between thinking he's a sale mans and would say that, and thinking he's probably right. Haha. I think I may just stretch out past 250 for a Lenovo too. It just seems the smarter and safer thing to do even money wise. Ty for guidance (and ty salesman I suppose :L) :smile:
I'm torn between thinking he's a sale mans and would say that, and thinking he's probably right. Haha. I think I may just stretch out past 250 for a Lenovo too. It just seems the smarter and safer thing to do even money wise. Ty for guidance (and ty salesman I suppose :L) :smile:

i paid £279.99 for mine, got 3 years warranty for £129 and also Microsoft office as well and anti virus from him so hes a pretty solid salesman imo. id heard mixed reviews about HPs anyway. I would recommend this laptop :smile:
i paid £279.99 for mine, got 3 years warranty for £129 and also Microsoft office as well and anti virus from him so hes a pretty solid salesman imo. id heard mixed reviews about HPs anyway. I would recommend this laptop :smile:

Ohh dang, I'm a skip the warranty and hope for the best guy. Lmao. What's the processor? Would it be possible for you to link me to it online? I'll have a gander but if you know where it is haha. On my crappy phone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending