The Student Room Group

Real Madrid of the previous 2 seasons beat teams in the tunnel not by being imposing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James.Carnell
@Zerforax

PSG should have bought more aesthetic players. #Inferioritycomplex

I think it took Real Madrid 80 minutes to realise they are better looking.

Match took a turn once Cavani the handsome devil came off.
Reply 21
Original post by Zerforax

I was skeptical at first but now I see it. @James.Carnell was right.

In all seriousness, the aesthetics are not the biggest factor, that is a joke of course (but it is a factor, an extra 0.5% mentally, perhaps more in a penalty shootout scenario , who knows?).

The mental side in such matches are huge. Until you win your first Champions League (or the European Cup as it used to be called) or your club has historically won it before and has the confidence as an institution from that... then there is always a good chance of there being uncertainty within the club.

This can be circumvented if an oil team is then filled with incoming players that have won it before and are still within an age where they can perform, but this is a crazy option. Or you can have a manager like Pep perhaps that breeds such assurance in a club from being a habitual winner previously. Aside from Neymar... I don't see that really at PSG. The manager choice is probably a mistake for that reason.
(edited 6 years ago)
It’s definitely a good point, though I think it’s more about the brand of the club rather than intimidation. Story goes that they were offered Ronaldinho for a cut price and turned him down for his looks- surely looks played a part with di-Maria too.
Reply 24
In all seriousness, the aesthetics are not the biggest factor, that is a joke of course (but it is a factor, an extra 0.5% mentally, perhaps more in a penalty shootout scenario , who knows?).

The mental side in such matches are huge. Until you win your first Champions League (or the European Cup as it used to be called) or your club has historically won it before and has the confidence as an institution from that... then there is always a good chance of there being uncertainty within the club.

This can be circumvented if an oil team is then filled with incoming players that have won it before and are still within an age where they can perform, but this is a crazy option. Or you can have a manager like Pep perhaps that breeds such assurance in a club from being a habitual winner previously. Aside from Neymar... I don't see that really at PSG. The manager choice is probably a mistake for that reason.

The problem with PSG is that the manager is weak and players know it. It's the same with Chelsea. The only way for them to win the CL is to park the bus and play nasty.
PSG's owners buy players as if they were on Football Manager without trying to make a real team. PSG needed a defensive midfielder to replace Motta, but they preferred to buy Mbape and Neymar. There is no stability and no team spirit.

Minute 79: Asensio on
Minute 83: 2-1, Asensio assist.
Minute 86: 3-1, Asensio assist.

Don't ignore the aesthetics. It changed the balance of the game.

I think you're right tbf. They do a lot of things to give them a psychological edge. In particular when they use the microphone guy to rally up the crowd during play. And their imperious theme song after each goal, you know you're up against a prestigious and commanding institution. It just makes the opponent feel so small and insignificant.

The aesthetics theory falls apart when they broke the world record for Bale though.
Reply 27
Aesthetics are pretty important.

You’d be pretty intimidated if you were told you were going to have to deal with BBC

Quick Reply

Latest