The Student Room Group

Your Opinion on Cultural Appropriation

Scroll to see replies

This thread has given me a good chuckle.
Original post by KatheO11
That is why I said that I am going to assume, and I used mixed in the context that one parent is different race from the other and since you confirmed one race is black of Kenyan descent. I used some deduction of thinking of places that have a high amount of Jews and also the types (i.e Ashkenazi Jews, who tend to be of European lineage). I am very aware of the fact that Not all Jews are white, because Judaism is not a race, it is a religion, so that logic of all Jews being white would be ignorant.

Why would you think I'm mixed? I'm fully Hadhramaut. My tribe has no place in the world today. We were "killed" off.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
This thread has given me a good chuckle.

Laughing at someone isn't nice.
Why don't you express what you think verbally.
Yo I’m black and I’ve read a bit of this thread. If all white people in it think that the black girl is trying to beat them up for being white, all the problems associated with racism and the fact that they all exist in the first place, it may not be her full intention but it may come off that way as racism is such a sensitive topic especially to us black people.

The fact of the matter is racism exists in society today because a small group of white people at the top of the media and societal food chain have used their power to impose their racist views which ultimately cause black people to feel a certain way and discuss racism with white people according to how they feel.

For me it’s not an opportunity to pounce on the majority of white people who aren’t racist because of history and white influence in the media today and general displays of racism.

It’s just the actions of a few who leave the greatest impact on the oppressed if all of that makes sense and isn’t complete bs to you lot.
Reply 184
Original post by Caesar333
And you agreed with that so this argument isnt valid.

What im saying is an opinion they hold. What you're saying is that they feel theyre less superior to whites and the west. Two very different things.

Yes I agreed with the statement and I gave a reason why...go watch any documentary where a white person travels to Africa it's clear that the locals treat the white person like a king because white people and people from the west are seen to symbolize wealth, intelligence etc bro this isn't even from my perspective it's facts. Exactly so since they feel less superior a superior person appreciating their culture is obviously going to be a blessing to them and that is where the problem lies for me.
Original post by erratic_deus
Laughing at someone isn't nice.
Why don't you express what you think verbally.

He/she's probably laughing at the arguments people have to make on this thread, which even I find entertaining, almost surreal to see..
Why would you think I'm mixed? I'm fully Hadhramaut. My tribe has no place in the world today. We were "killed" off.

Simple. What made you mention that you're Black and Jewish? , by the way it was interpreted , it would have meant that you made Jewish to be an ethnic group, as many people in the US would do, and when people say that, based on deduction it would have possibly meant, as we live in a country where you do not see many black Jewish people, it would give off the implication that you are of mixed race. As I mentioned before, I assumed that you were mixed.
How am I dumb?

I almost always get 100% in Maths tests. I'm the top performer in my year group for over 6 subjects. I'm predicted 9s and 8s and I have around 17 schools offering or offered to me a full bursary/scholarship.

I'm just an opinionated black woman, I get that you want to silence me.

So you're what, 12? 13? I guess that explains a lot of your answers.

If you want to boast about being smart come back when you have some of the best universities emailing you offering to give you fully funded PhDs...

I would quote your posts one by one and break down all the ways in which your being a racist idiot, but tbh I just don't think it's worth my time as I doubt you'd understand.
Original post by Dheorl
So you're what, 12? 13? I guess that explains a lot of your answers.

If you want to boast about being smart come back when you have some of the best universities emailing you offering to give you fully funded PhDs...

I would quote your posts one by one and break down all the ways in which your being a racist idiot, but tbh I just don't think it's worth my time as I doubt you'd understand.

I can't be racist.
I'm black.
I've not discriminated against any race nor do I believe my race is superior.
Original post by S.olk
But as I said before, if white people are growing dreads as a fashion statement or to look cool, that is where I draw the line. Dreads have been used as a way of black people being discriminated for so long and for someone to wear them because "its trendy" doesn't run. People are literally being denied jobs because of what grows out of their scalp so using it for fashion isn't cool.

Then ***** and moan at the people denying someone a job for their hairstyle! Why give a flying **** what someone personally thinks looks cool, whatever colour their skin is? If anything, be grateful, because those white people with dreads aren't going to go denying someone a job based on their hair colour!

Just let the past die, otherwise discrimination is never going to end.
I can't be racist.
I'm black.

So I guessed the age right then? Explains a lot. And if you seriously think black people can't be racist you need to have a dictionary thrown at you!
I can't be racist.
I'm black.

You can be racist regardless of race - just omit everything apart from the last statement, and you're good to go...
Original post by Dheorl
Then ***** and moan at the people denying someone a job for their hairstyle! Why give a flying **** what someone personally thinks looks cool, whatever colour their skin is? If anything, be grateful, because those white people with dreads aren't going to go denying someone a job based on their hair colour!

Just let the past die, otherwise discrimination is never going to end.

DISCRIMINATION and RACISM is happening RIGHT NOW across the world to black people.
HEARD OF APPLEBEE'S?

I won't let the past end till all white people can say fully that THEY ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO ANY OTHER RACE.
Original post by k.n.h.
You can be racist regardless of race - just omit everything apart from the last statement, and you're good to go...

You can't be racist if you're not white!

The definition of racism comes in two parts

You must discriminate based on race (which white people do as they have positions of power)
You must also believe your race is superior (which white people do believe as there are over 45 white supremacist groups operating in America with over 10 million supporters.
DISCRIMINATION and RACISM is happening RIGHT NOW across the world to black people.
HEARD OF APPLEBEE'S?

I won't let the past end till all white people can say fully that THEY ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO ANY OTHER RACE.

But by denying white people a hairstyle they find cool, all your doing is reinforcing the idea that it's ok to treat someone differently because of the colour of their skin... how exactly do you think this is going to help?

Not all whites believe that in the first place though, what a generalization, tsk, tsk...
I find it hilarious.
Original post by Dheorl
But by denying white people a hairstyle they find cool, all your doing is reinforcing the idea that it's ok to treat someone differently because of the colour of their skin... how exactly do you think this is going to help?

When have I said this?
Have you read this whole thread?
Ahh, so you man just leapfrogged the essay I just wrote, okay.
You can't be racist if you're not white!

The definition of racism comes in two parts

You must discriminate based on race (which white people do as they have positions of power)
You must also believe your race is superior (which white people do believe as there are over 45 white supremacist groups operating in America with over 10 million supporters.

So you basically think just because some white supremacist groups exist, that means all whites believe that their race is superior? Because you're saying the reason all non-whites cannot be racist, and also that you cannot be racist towards any whites, is because white supremacists believe whites are superior, which does not make up all whites. Not all whites think their race is superior. Mind-blowing, isn't it? :dots:

You don't catch on very fast for someone who claims to have grade 9 predictions... :facepalm2: Someone has already disproven what you've said, so I'll say it again in slight twist on your own words:

'The definition of racism comes in two parts

You must discriminate based on race (which anyone can do, for example, a black person insulting a white person simply due to his/her race)

You must also believe your race is superior (which again, anyone can believe and people from lots of different races do believe that their race is superior)'

You need to remember the definition applies on an individual basis, so that requires the subject themselves, and only themselves, to believe that their race is superior and discriminate another of a certain race based on that belief. And just to make sure you're getting it in your head and understanding what I'm communicating to you, I've included the two quotes that both debunk your imaginary parameters required to commit racism.

Original post by AspiringUnderdog
BELIEF. Learn to read.

Anyone can believe that they are above others. Your straight 9s mean nothing, fool.

Original post by k.n.h.
You view it as such, not all other people. You're the one with a victim complex. Also, you're misinterpreting the meaning, the definition is applied to individuals, it says the 'on the belief that one's own race is superior', and individual people of any race can discriminate based on the belief that their own race is superior. And as AspiringUnderdog helpfully pointed out, anyone can believe their own race is superior to others.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply