The Student Room Group

Childcare grant

So... Having relied on the student finance calculator to work out whether I'd be able to afford university, and then refreshing a few qualifications and sitting some enormously stressful interviews, I now find out that it may be completely inaccurate.

Could anyone tell me whether I would be eligible for childcare grant with my husband earning £23k a year? His actual salary is £19.2 but got a bit extra for unsocial hours.

We live on Essex and living costs are enormous, his salary covers rent and bills, mine pays for food and anything the kids need, but studying midwifery I'm going to have to leave. Childcare will be >£350 A WEEK and even in our 7weeks holiday I will still be charged a day's fee to hold my children's place. That's over £16k annually, my entire loan would only break the back of it.

As you can tell, this is keeping me up at night. I'm really not sure if it's doable anymore.
Reply 1
Bumping because I'm no closer to any answers!
Original post by Kh212
So... Having relied on the student finance calculator to work out whether I'd be able to afford university, and then refreshing a few qualifications and sitting some enormously stressful interviews, I now find out that it may be completely inaccurate.

Could anyone tell me whether I would be eligible for childcare grant with my husband earning £23k a year? His actual salary is £19.2 but got a bit extra for unsocial hours.

We live on Essex and living costs are enormous, his salary covers rent and bills, mine pays for food and anything the kids need, but studying midwifery I'm going to have to leave. Childcare will be >£350 A WEEK and even in our 7weeks holiday I will still be charged a day's fee to hold my children's place. That's over £16k annually, my entire loan would only break the back of it.

As you can tell, this is keeping me up at night. I'm really not sure if it's doable anymore.

Hi Kh12,

I wouldn't be able to give you a definite answer on the childcare grant entitlement, it would have to be reviewed by an assessor. However, they do take in to account how many children you have when assessing the household income so that may mean you can receive at least some childcare grant.

My best advice would be to apply for the childcare grant using the CCG1 form, this way an assessor will give you a definite answer on if you'll be entitled to any childcare grant.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 3
Hi John,

I appreciate the reply. In all honesty, no that is not a particularly helpful response, although I know that is not your fault.

If you have any sort of feedback tracker system at SFE, then I really recommend updating the student finance calculators so they actually reflect a more accurate lending figure, especially for nursing and midwifery which has greater number of mature/parent applicants. Our support groups have exploded with this question since student finance opened as no one can find even a rough answer or calculation and a fair few will have to give up their places. As many have had to go back to college and gain work experience to even be considered for a place, much less gain one, this is heartbreaking.

Anyone else reading this trying to find out the answer: if you find yourself unable to claim the childcare grant, we can still do 16hours a week low paid work then and claim the childcare element of working tax credit. Obviously not ideal after 40 hours placement and uni work in the week (whilst reminding your kids you exist every now and then) but there is still a way around it, for those of us who will be very stuck. (We've got this!)

Many thanks
Original post by Kh212
Hi John,

I appreciate the reply. In all honesty, no that is not a particularly helpful response, although I know that is not your fault.

If you have any sort of feedback tracker system at SFE, then I really recommend updating the student finance calculators so they actually reflect a more accurate lending figure, especially for nursing and midwifery which has greater number of mature/parent applicants. Our support groups have exploded with this question since student finance opened as no one can find even a rough answer or calculation and a fair few will have to give up their places. As many have had to go back to college and gain work experience to even be considered for a place, much less gain one, this is heartbreaking.

Anyone else reading this trying to find out the answer: if you find yourself unable to claim the childcare grant, we can still do 16hours a week low paid work then and claim the childcare element of working tax credit. Obviously not ideal after 40 hours placement and uni work in the week (whilst reminding your kids you exist every now and then) but there is still a way around it, for those of us who will be very stuck. (We've got this!)

Many thanks

Hi Kh212,

I'm sorry to hear about the stress this is causing you.

With regards to the calculator, I'll be more than happy to give feedback on this. Would you be able to clarify what section caused the most concern, was it the estimated loan amount or the section underneath that mentions extra funding such as childcare grant? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending