The Student Room Group

How much have you completed for your EPQ so far?

If you started in September..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So far my research is basically done and I’m writing the essay, I’m planning on finishing the essay by the end of half term (hopefully).
Reply 2
Original post by DaphineJ
So far my research is basically done and I’m writing the essay, I’m planning on finishing the essay by the end of half term (hopefully).

My EPQ is a mess.. I've got about 3,000 words:
1,000 for the introduction BUT I need to add EVEN MORE because I changed my question and I need to make it clearer and more related to my question.
I've got around 2,000 for the rest of the essay but I need to do more research..
I also haven't planned my primary research yet - my supervisor told me not to because my topic is too sensitive to conduct anything. I really wanted to do my own research though.
Reply 3
Original post by Traore
My EPQ is a mess.. I've got about 3,000 words:
1,000 for the introduction BUT I need to add EVEN MORE because I changed my question and I need to make it clearer and more related to my question.
I've got around 2,000 for the rest of the essay but I need to do more research..
I also haven't planned my primary research yet - my supervisor told me not to because my topic is too sensitive to conduct anything. I really wanted to do my own research though.

When you edit the essay why not just go through and create links to the question so it has a clearer focus. You could also try and get your statistics online if you don’t have time to do your own research.

I’m also doing more research whilst I write the essay and so is everyone else in my class so it’s not really much to worry about.
DONE IT ALL SO HAPPY!

After I finished I felt a gap in my workflow, which was EPQ work.
It is kind of difficult to fill that time in with other A Levels I admit. I have ended up in the vicious cycle of procrastination.
Reply 5
Original post by DaphineJ
When you edit the essay why not just go through and create links to the question so it has a clearer focus. You could also try and get your statistics online if you don’t have time to do your own research.

I’m also doing more research whilst I write the essay and so is everyone else in my class so it’s not really much to worry about.

So my EPQ is about serial killers - the introduction talks about serial killers in general but now I have changed it to focus on one specific serial killer. Now I have to introduce the serial killer otherwise the essay flows just from an introduction to the main arguments.
I've written my essay, bibliography, abstract but its all shite, have a feeling I'm going to have to rewrite most of it tbh (still need to complete parts of Production log, literature review, presentation, etc)
Reply 7
Original post by CinnamonSmol
I've written my essay, bibliography, abstract but its all shite, have a feeling I'm going to have to rewrite most of it tbh (still need to complete parts of Production log, literature review, presentation, etc)

At least you've 'finished' something, even if you have to make edits. Our school aven't even told us about the production log or presentation.. and nobody knows what a literature review is!
Original post by Traore
At least you've 'finished' something, even if you have to make edits. Our school aven't even told us about the production log or presentation.. and nobody knows what a literature review is!

omg yikes, I'm just lucky that it's an actual timetabled lesson otherwise I'd probably be the same tbh, hold on a second and I'll post a sheet that might help you :smile:
Reply 9
omg yikes, I'm just lucky that it's an actual timetabled lesson otherwise I'd probably be the same tbh, hold on a second and I'll post a sheet that might help you :smile:

We have two timetabled lessons, 1.5 hours and 1 hour.. but we've had 3 different EPQ teachers and they are all telling us different things. One teacher said we should be finished our literature review, but the other teachers are both essentially saying "ignore him, your essay should just be sectioned and you should discuss your main arguments as you go" which is what we are all doing.
Here's something that might help, it explains everything that you need to have in your piece :smile:
Reply 11
Here's something that might help, it explains everything that you need to have in your piece :smile:

Thanks A LOT!

I guess I'll do the title page and abstract at the end. Does the 150 words count towards the 5,000 words?

Are there any exemplar introductions anywhere? My introduction (currently) talks about serial killers (in general) for 3 paragraphs, and then the final paragraph explains the choice of topic.

Does the Literature Review and Discussion have to be separate? I've kind of been doing them both together as I go..

Thanks
Still considering to do one since I think my school offers them, do you think its worth doing for Medicine?
Reply 13
For everyone else in my year, they HATE doing it. They don't seem to enjoy their topics, plus they seem not to have the time.

Now, for me there are two sides. I started the year without doing any revision. I picked an EPQ topic which I enjoyed and I spent lots of time on it. I have recently began to revise and now I'm finding little time for EPQ.

It's down to you- it's certainly worth it if it wont interfere with your other subjects.
If you're doing a competitive course such as medicine, most unis wont lower the entry requirements for you even if you recieve an A/A*, unless you really really want to do it, go ahead, but personally I wouldn't bother
Original post by Traore
Thanks A LOT!

I guess I'll do the title page and abstract at the end. Does the 150 words count towards the 5,000 words?

Are there any exemplar introductions anywhere? My introduction (currently) talks about serial killers (in general) for 3 paragraphs, and then the final paragraph explains the choice of topic.

Does the Literature Review and Discussion have to be separate? I've kind of been doing them both together as I go..

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of, I'm pretty sure its a seperate thing -at least thats what I've done anyways.

I know that you can probably find exemplar production logs online, my supervisor showed us exemplar copies of previous students in the year above, they were printed so I'm afraid I can't send it you, try asking your supervisor for any exemplars?

Discussion is the actual essay, unless I'm mistaken, Literature review is a whole other seperate thing :smile:
Reply 16
Not that I'm aware of, I'm pretty sure its a seperate thing -at least thats what I've done anyways.

I know that you can probably find exemplar production logs online, my supervisor showed us exemplar copies of previous students in the year above, they were printed so I'm afraid I can't send it you, try asking your supervisor for any exemplars?

Discussion is the actual essay, unless I'm mistaken, Literature review is a whole other seperate thing :smile:

Uh-oh.. if I change what I've done, then the teachers will probably tell me it's wrong.

Without giving too much away, my EPQ is looking at the whether the development of a mental disorder in a specific serial killer was a result of nature or nurture. For example, this serial killer felt neglected as a child - I have taken a study into the effect of neglect on brain development, spoke about it and then discussed the possible implications of this neglect. It makes sense to do it this way, the idea of a Literature Review and Discussion seems like the information would be fragmented.
Original post by Traore
Uh-oh.. if I change what I've done, then the teachers will probably tell me it's wrong.

Without giving too much away, my EPQ is looking at the whether the development of a mental disorder in a specific serial killer was a result of nature or nurture. For example, this serial killer felt neglected as a child - I have taken a study into the effect of neglect on brain development, spoke about it and then discussed the possible implications of this neglect. It makes sense to do it this way, the idea of a Literature Review and Discussion seems like the information would be fragmented.

If your supervisors tell you to do it that way then I would probably listen to them, seeing as they'll be the ones marking it. One of the exemplars I've seen has done a grid analysing each source which is waaaaay more work than probably required but I'm following that seeing as my supervisor prefers us to do it that way (she's an english teacher.....ofc shes going to be extra af:tongue:)
Finished
Reply 19
If your supervisors tell you to do it that way then I would probably listen to them, seeing as they'll be the ones marking it. One of the exemplars I've seen has done a grid analysing each source which is waaaaay more work than probably required but I'm following that seeing as my supervisor prefers us to do it that way (she's an english teacher.....ofc shes going to be extra af:tongue:)

Oh... I thought the exam board marked it! I deserve 50/50 tbh, I'll bribe my teacher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending