The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
This topic has gone too Offtopic now, it's not an abortion thread ...yet half of it seems to be that way..............................................................

*yawns*

Discussion evolves to touch many other parts. Have all your discussions been boringly monotonous, hence why you are tired?
Original post by Wired_1800
Discussion evolves to touch many other parts. Have all your discussions been boringly monotonous, hence why you are tired?

No,

It's just that I was enjoying reading the discussion a lot more before it got derailed to abortion.

no ones going to change their opinion on abortion anyway, it's just a pointless derailment........
Original post by Byefox
Don't put yourself in situations where it could potentially happen..? Ok, let me just lock myself up at home. Oh wait, it could potentially happen there as well. In fact, it could potentially happen anywhere, seeing as it's caused by the actions of another person (which you in most cases can't control).

It doesn't just happen by itself, you know that right? It's an act (crime) committed by somebody else.

Sexual abuse is wrong and it should be punished. The end.
You know what I mean, stop taking what I said absolutely literally. You avoid obvious situations where there is a reasonably high probability where sexual abuse could occur.

It's like me walking through the roughest part of town at night, alone, down backstreets, with an expensive phone out and not expecting to get mugged and possibly stabbed/shot. Obviously any perpetrator is in the wrong and the police must investigate, but I have to take personal responsibility for being so stupid.

Same goes for sexual abuse. If you're a good judge of character, you should be avoiding men who could potentially harm you. Associate yourself with nice, kind, well-mannered men. Don't go for the muscled, tattooed, aggressive-looking hulk and expect him not to abuse you at some point in a relationship.

This is not me condoning sexual abuse - far from it. What I'm saying is women must take some personal responsibility for any stupid decisions they make with the type of men they associate themselves with.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by snowman77

It's like me walking through the roughest part of town at night, alone, down backstreets, with an expensive phone out and not expecting to get mugged and possibly stabbed/shot.

In a louis theroux documentary around 10 years ago in some rough London borough he did exactly this [although he was hoping something might happen]

but he bit off more than he bargained for and some yute with a 10 inch blade mugged him and threatened to stab him him up

it was jokes

sorry..........
Original post by ANM775
No,

It's just that I was enjoying reading the discussion a lot more before it got derailed to abortion.

no ones going to change their opinion on abortion anyway, it's just a pointless derailment........

That is fair, but we cannot assume that some people wont change an opinion, if it is not debated.

Many people are sheep following the herd. They are unable to clearly give a reason why they support a particular viewpoint. They just spit out sound bites which they heard from others.

When you challenge their opinion, they attack with labels e.g. ignorant, racist, bigot etc.

Tbh i have been guilty of the same thing and i am trying to wean myself from the brainwashing of what to think by others.
Original post by cat_mac
Great way of putting it! And to add, person A has to look after person B for at least 18 years after the procedure, financially and emotionally. But they’re a ‘murderer’ because they don’t want to sacrifice their body and life for person B.

Pro lifers value a potential life over an actual life. It’s so hypocritical, to treat someone who’s already alive like a baby machine.

I know, it’s ridiculous and contradictory. I wonder how many of these pro lifers would rather save 5 fertilised eggs than 3 newborn babies
As above, I haven't seen much of the thread other than OP. Here's my personal take. You're relying heavily on stereotyped scenarios for your argument, which, much like stereotyping people, is not always consistent with reality.

(your note on the pay gap being a myth is also wrong, you cant definitively prove that point. I used to believe the same thing until I did some research, I'm not saying there is a pay gap but I'm also not saying there isn't. Do some research and you'll understand what I mean)

I'd like to address the points you made in order.

- Again, this is an extremely stereotyped scenario, which in practice, is not always true. I've been asked out by plently of women, sometimes casually sometimes not.

- Personally I think this is just good manners and chivalrous. I'm not expected to pay, I want to. If the woman offers to split the bill she will go up in my estimations though.

- This is just tradition, it has little to do with gender equality.

- Again if I buy gifts its because I want to. There is nothing stopping her from doing the same.

- Again we come back to being chivalrous. There is nothing wrong with being a gentleman and having some level of decorum.

- Don't know about you but being 6" 2 and working out a lot I don't think her coat would fit. Even if it did, pink and fluffy isn't my style.

- 80% of women don't orgasm from penetrative sex alone. Effort has to be made.

- I have a vague agreement with this one. Its why mens suicide rates are so much higher than women's but this extends beyond romantic relationships/encounters and is a much broader issue.

- If you both inhabit the same space, you should put in a shared effort to keep it clean and tidy. Women go out to work just like men do these days, in some cases they are the breadwinner and there is nothing wrong with that.

Just my two cents but a lot of what you're pushing is based on stereotypes and tropes. Everything else feels vaguely misogynistic. You're point about sharing chores especially. My advice, do some research, ask some girls out but most importantly, approach every new encounter with a clean slate, no assumptions. Gain real life experience and you'll realise life isn't a trope, each person will be different and their expectations of you will also be different.
Original post by cherryred90s
I know, it’s ridiculous and contradictory. I wonder how many of these pro lifers would rather save 5 fertilised eggs than 3 newborn babies

That is why people need to be careful. We have moved away traditional way of engaging in sex that people are trying to avoid consequences.

When you have sex, you should be aware of the possible circumstances. You could get pregnant, you could get infections or diseases or anything can happen.

The issue is that some women act then think later. They have sex and they say “oh, i am not ready to have children or I am too young to take care of another person”.

Obviously I am not stating that people should become prisoners of themselves, but they should be prepared for consequences. If she gets pregnant and knows she cannot afford to take care of it, she can give the baby up for adoption rather than ending its life. There are couples unable to procreate, yet there are some women willing to murder their own children.
That is why people need to be careful. We have moved away traditional way of engaging in sex that people are trying to avoid consequences.

When you have sex, you should be aware of the possible circumstances. You could get pregnant, you could get infections or diseases or anything can happen.

The issue is that some women act then think later. They have sex and they say “oh, i am not ready to have children or I am too young to take care of another person”.

Obviously I am not stating that people should become prisoners of themselves, but they should be prepared for consequences. If she gets pregnant and knows she cannot afford to take care of it, she can give the baby up for adoption rather than ending its life. There are couples unable to procreate, yet there are some women willing to murder their own children.

Good job completely ignoring @cherryred90s question.

If think life starts at conception, and were faced with a choice, 5 abortions or 3 new born babies? (Don’t bother going off into the unlikelihood of this scenario, if you don’t understand what a hypothetical situation is then you don’t have the intelligence to be debating anything.)

You’ve established that you’re pro life. You’re just repeating your opinion for the 100th time but you fail to answer yet another question. Are they really that difficult for you to answer?
You’ve established that you’re pro life. You’re just repeating your opinion for the 100th time but you fail to answer yet another question. Are they really that difficult for you to answer?

You did not ask me a direct question? I just jumped into your conversation with cat_mac.

Original post by cat_mac
Good job completely ignoring @cherryred90s question.

If think life starts at conception, and were faced with a choice, 5 abortions or 3 new born babies? (Don’t bother going off into the unlikelihood of this scenario, if you don’t understand what a hypothetical situation is then you don’t have the intelligence to be debating anything.)

First of all this is a very difficult situation. However, I would go for 3 new born babies.

Let me explain. There are medical risks of having an abortion. With every abortion, the life of both the mother and her unborn child is at risk. As a result, you would have the risk of 10 vs 3.

Based on this difference, it will be better to focus on the 10 (5 mothers with 5 unborn children) than the 3 babies.

I agree that this may cause an outrage, but it is just my opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)
First of all this is a very difficult situation. However, I would go for 3 new born babies.

Let me explain. There are medical risks of having an abortion. With every abortion, the life of both the mother and her unborn child is at risk. As a result, you would have the risk of 10 vs 3.

Based on this difference, it will be better to focus on the 10 (5 mothers with 5 unborn children) than the 3 unborn babies.

In 2016 in England and Wales, 190,406 abortions were carried out. The number of abortions that had complications that lead to death was 1. The medical risks are extremely low, you might as well say you would save the newborns because the pregnant women could be hit by a car, it’d be much more likely. Don’t pretend to care about the women, they’re clearly just vessels for the precious foetus to you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/679028/Abortions_stats_England_Wales_2016.pdf

But at least you stuck to your guns, I guess.
(edited 6 years ago)
You did not ask me a direct question? I just jumped into your conversation with cat_mac.

Lol I asked you many direct questions. It was my last quote to you yesterday which you decided not to respond to

Based on this difference, it will be better to focus on the 10 (5 mothers with 5 unborn children) than the 3 babies.

I’m confused. What does abortion have to do with it?
Edit: Oh nvm. You answered a different question.

Mine was 5 fertilised eggs or 3 newborn babies?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JoeyA2000
Completely agree with everything you’ve said there. And when a man breaks up with a women, men are ********s etc etc. But when women break up with men it’s ‘you go girl atttiude’ you don’t need him he’s a looser etc etc. Women are very strange creatures.

I agree. There's this new 'men are trash' culture amongst young women which is just causing more divide. I love and respect men but at the same time,I do expect to be proposed to,asked out,be bought gifts etc. That's just how I've been conditioned,like most girls. Blame Disney fairy tale movies haha. I expect a man to take lead and be a dominant alpha male character. It seems like women have taken on the role of a man,no thanks to the rise of extreme feminism
Woman will be mother and grandmother, same as man will be father and grandfather... think how to treat each other.

'Sex offenders or abusers should get treatment or legal issue and should not in work place or dating site at all .'
Lol I asked you many direct questions. It was my last quote to you yesterday which you decided not to respond to

I’m confused. What does abortion have to do with it?
Edit: Oh nvm. You answered a different question.

Mine was 5 fertilised eggs or 3 newborn babies?

What do you mean 5 fertilised eggs? Do you mean laboratory manufactured embryos or 5 newly pregnant women?
Original post by queen-bee
I agree. There's this new 'men are trash' culture amongst young women which is just causing more divide. I love and respect men but at the same time,I do expect to be proposed to,asked out,be bought gifts etc. That's just how I've been conditioned,like most girls. Blame Disney fairy tale movies haha. I expect a man to take lead and be a dominant alpha male character. It seems like women have taken on the role of a man,no thanks to the rise of extreme feminism
That's fair enough that you expect a man to do that.

However, what difficult womanly duties are you prepared to do in return? It's give and take - you can't expect the man to do all the giving while you do all the taking.

Also, I hope you don't expect equality with men in other areas. After you expect them to do all of this.
Original post by snowman77
That's fair enough that you expect a man to do that.

However, what difficult womanly duties are you prepared to do in return? It's give and take - you can't expect the man to do all the giving while you do all the taking.

Also, I hope you don't expect equality with men in other areas. After you expect them to do all of this.

First off,i believe it's the role Of the man to take care of me,and vice versa but I expect him to be the man of the house,So being submissive and obedient,respecting him etc (not a pushover) is something I would give back in return for him doing all these things..
Tbf,majority of women don't expect much from men,we just want to be respected,shown appreciation etc

@Foo.mp3
(edited 6 years ago)
First off,i believe it's the role Of the man to take care of me,and vice versa but I expect him to be the man of the house,So being submissive and obedient,respecting him etc (not a pushover) is something I would give back in return for him doing all these things..
Tbf,majority of women don't expect much from men,we just want to be respected,shown appreciation etc

Also,a man asking you out and proposing isn't that difficult is it? I don't like men who complain about basic things such as the above.
Ok, so you are prepared to be submissive, allow him to be a man, give him plenty of compliments on how strong and manly he is, act all girly and feminine and vulnerable around him, let him protect you, dress sexy for him, give him breakfast in bed, generally show a lot of appreciation to him? And so on and so forth.

This is the sort of thing that happened 50-100 years ago. But since modern feminism took over, women want to be strong and independent. They are less feminine, more aggressive and don't give enough opportunity for men to be men anymore.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending