The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer Oxford?

I'm currently in the last year of A-Levels and taking a gap year to do an internship. I will be applying to Oxford to do Physics in the following year. I wanted to ask, is possible to get a unconditional offer from Oxford in these circumstances since I will already have my grades? And will I still have to do interviews and the PAT (Physics Aptitude Test) since these are to see whether I'm capable or not of progressing further in the interview process?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Ahlam_Abdi
I'm currently in the last year of A-Levels and taking a gap year to do an internship. I will be applying to Oxford to do Physics in the following year. I wanted to ask, is possible to get a unconditional offer from Oxford in these circumstances since I will already have my grades? And will I still have to do interviews and the PAT (Physics Aptitude Test) since these are to see whether I'm capable or not of progressing further in the interview process?

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, if you are given an offer and you already have your A Levels, it will be unconditional. You will, however, still have to take any relevant admissions tests, and the interviews. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by gd99
From what I understand, if you are given an offer and you already have your A Levels, it will be unconditional. You will, however, still have to take any relevant admissions tests, and the interviews. Hope this helps!

Yeah it does. Also would it be likely though for me to get the unconditional even though I've attained the proper grades and done well in the aptitude tests. Some people say that they are stricter with you in them and expect you to do better than the others.
Reply 3
If you've already got the grades, it should be that the only offer condition would be providing proof of them, i.e. sending the uni your certificates. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Beth_H
If you've already got the grades, it should be that the only offer condition would be providing proof of them, i.e. sending the uni your certificates. :smile:

Their website says no exceptions on the PAT so I'm guessing I'll have to do that regardless. However, what I'm not sure of is their interviews. You get your interviews based on whether you get a good PAT score. But why should those matter if I already have the grades like you said? :K:
Reply 5
Yeah it does. Also would it be likely though for me to get the unconditional even though I've attained the proper grades and done well in the aptitude tests. Some people say that they are stricter with you in them and expect you to do better than the others.

I don’t know how much weight they give the aptitude tests - I think it differs in different subjects. I think that, if you get an interview, they base any offer off the interview and stats about the applicant, using the aptitude tests as further guidance, but I don’t know for sure. Also, the aptitude test gives admissions tutors more insight into how you think in the specific subjects you are applying for, as well as a benchmark which all applicants have taken, making it easier to compare them which is probably why you have to take it even with your grades.
If they make you an offer and you already have the grades it will be unconditional.

Although you still have to do tests, interviews, etc like a normal candidate would
Their website says no exceptions on the PAT so I'm guessing I'll have to do that regardless. However, what I'm not sure of is their interviews. You get your interviews based on whether you get a good PAT score. But why should those matter if I already have the grades like you said? :K:

Well they want to see you in person. They want to see if you have a big passion for the subject, and if you would be suited for the way that Oxford teaches and so on. You are more than just grades on a piece of paper, and the tutors want to see that. It's not too hard to just memorise your way through A levels, without actually gaining an understanding of the subject. This is why you still have to take part in the entire admissions process.
Reply 8

Thanks in advance.

If you have grades already achieved any offer would be unconditional, assuming you meet or exceed the typical requirements.

However you still have to go through the application process, including PAT and, if shortlisted, the interview(s).
Reply 9

Thanks in advance.

may I ask where you are doing the apprenticeship; I am looking to do the same thing
Reply 10
Original post by yusyus
may I ask where you are doing the apprenticeship; I am looking to do the same thing

It's a internship just to say in case you wanted to do an apprenticeship. I'm applying to do my internship with YINI but I don't know if they're doing applications still so go check.
Reply 11

Yeah, the admissions process is the same for pre and post qualification applicants. Oxford admissions tests are a different style of exam to A levels, so it's important that all applicants take the same test, so that they're assessed on the same skills. Also, this is their only opportunity to compare different students' exam techniques, since they can't see your A level papers.
Reply 12
Original post by gd99
I don’t know how much weight they give the aptitude tests - I think it differs in different subjects. I think that, if you get an interview, they base any offer off the interview and stats about the applicant, using the aptitude tests as further guidance, but I don’t know for sure. Also, the aptitude test gives admissions tutors more insight into how you think in the specific subjects you are applying for, as well as a benchmark which all applicants have taken, making it easier to compare them which is probably why you have to take it even with your grades.

I understand what you mean but I think that they should take into account your grades. But it just means I have to only practice for that after I get my grades.
Reply 13
I understand what you mean but I think that they should take into account your grades. But it just means I have to only practice for that after I get my grades.

Of course they take your grades into account. But they also take everything else into account too.

Not everyone with the grades gets a place. Approx 22,000 pupils get A*AA or better every year - they can't all get a place at Oxford...

Thanks in advance.

If the aptitude test is part of the admissions process there has to be a very good reason why you will be exempt from it so I would prepare for it yes. You can get an unconditional offer if you have everything they need but if not they will specify conditions.

Thanks in advance.
Why would you not have to go through the same entrance processes as everyone else? Of course you would, so you will have to factor sitting the PAT (having completed your A levels does not exempt you from this) and attending for interview (if you are called) into your timetable. If you apply post A level, with no plans to resit or take another qualification, any offer made to you would be unconditional. However, if you do plan to resit or take another qualification this must be entered on your UCAS form, and the university can make a conditional offer based on the results to be achieved, in addition to the qualifications you already have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending