The Student Room Group

Could I get into Cambridge (Law)

So I'm at a state school sixth form currently, taking A-Levels in Law, Sociology and English Literature.I want to be a Barrister, focusing mainly on Human Rights, and Oxbridge is preferred when getting a pupillage.

GCSE:
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 7
Maths - 4
Core Science - C
Business - B
Economics - C
RE - B

I'm aiming for AAA in my first-year exams, I know I am capable as I'm already on ABC, so if I do achieve this my predicted UCAS grades will be high.
Outside of school I have and will do work experience, outreach schemes and read around my subject.I really am passionate about law and would love to go to Cambridge, Corpus preferably but I just don't know if my GCSES will hinder my chances.

PLEASE HELP,ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED.
(edited 6 years ago)
You won't get into Cambridge. Perfect scorers who have been working towards Oxbridge since they were 10 get rejected frequently. You need at least 1 A* to get in, most get A*A*A. This is particularly true for competitive subjects like Law. Aim for Leeds/Exeter etc.
You might still have a chance although to be completely honest I wouldn't be too hopeful. But at least you got good grades in essay subjects.

You could always apply when you get your results if you don't get an offer due to your GCSEs. But as I say you still might have a chance.
Original post by angelinahx
You won't get into Cambridge. Perfect scorers who have been working towards Oxbridge since they were 10 get rejected frequently. You need at least 1 A* to get in, most get A*A*A. This is particularly true for competitive subjects like Law. Aim for Leeds/Exeter etc.

GCSEs aren't that important, they could still get into Cambridge if they scored very well in the admissions test and interview. Or if they reapply with the grades.
Original post by RedGiant
GCSEs aren't that important, they could still get into Cambridge if they scored very well in the admissions test and interview. Or if they reapply with the grades.

This. It is always possible to be the exception.
It's a tricky one, nothing is impossible but this is one of the best academic institutions in the world. So as you'd expect competition will be pretty fierce. If you are adamant to study here your best bet would be to apply once you've completed your a levels. If you were to smash them and get say between A*AA to A*A*A*, you'd defiantly stand a chance of being accepted but in your current position even with strong predicted grades I doubt your application will be strong enough. Also if you were to take a gap year you could gain some experience and really strengthen your application. So your key focus is to achieve the highest grades possible to keep that door open, good luck.
Original post by RedGiant

I'm not talking about GCSE grades. If OP improved massively from GCSES to say A*A*A, then Cambridge may overlook the (relatively) poor GCSE results. Three A's is great, but not for Law and not for Cambridge. Their bare minimum entry requirement is an A* and 2 A's, many have great GCSE results and many exceed the minimum entry requirement.
It's not necessarily about "getting in" or "meeting the requirements" it's also about the competition
Original post by angelinahx
I'm not talking about GCSE grades. If OP improved massively from GCSES to say A*A*A, then Cambridge may overlook the (relatively) poor GCSE results. Three A's is great, but not for Law and not for Cambridge. Their bare minimum entry requirement is an A* and 2 A's, many have great GCSE results and many exceed the minimum entry requirement.
It's not necessarily about "getting in" or "meeting the requirements" it's also about the competition

Re-read the OP. They said "my predicted UCAS grades will be high." [provided they do well in their exams]. Assuming they mean AS, AAA grades would be great.
Reply 8
Original post by Pogostick2013
So I'm at a state school sixth form currently, taking A-Levels in Law, Sociology and English Literature.I want to be a Barrister, focusing mainly on Human Rights, and Oxbridge is preferred when getting a pupillage.

GCSE:
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 7
Maths - 4
Core Science - C
Business - B
Economics - C
RE - B

I'm aiming for AAA in my first-year exams, I know I am capable as I'm already on ABC, so if I do achieve this my predicted UCAS grades will be high.
Outside of school I have and will do work experience, outreach schemes and read around my subject.I really am passionate about law and would love to go to Cambridge, Corpus preferably but I just don't know if my GCSES will hinder my chances.

PLEASE HELP,ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED.

An upward academic trajectory such as this is a good thing in Cambridge's view, especially if your state school isn't that great.

See how your AS-levels go but a Cambridge application isn't out of reach by any means. Especially if you are realistically on target for A*AA or better.

A tip; don't apply to Churchill, they specifically like to see a strong GCSE performance for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending