The Student Room Group

Question on

Hi, I have a question about student finance. So i have 2 choices (my first choice has replied but still pending on 2nd). And for my 1st choice, i am living at home and not going to take a student loan out. Now for my 2nd choice (Bristol) it is quite far and need to get accommodation and tuition fees so will need to get a loan.

My question is firstly how does student finance work? So you open a student bank account then go for a maintenance loan and a tuition loan? Can I take out a tution loan only?

I'm just worried that if I don't get my first choice and have to go to my 2nd I won't have the fees for accommodation. So what do i do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by assassinjeev22
Hi, I have a question about student finance. So i have 2 choices (my first choice has replied but still pending on 2nd). And for my 1st choice, i am living at home and not going to take a student loan out. Now for my 2nd choice (Bristol) it is quite far and need to get accommodation and tuition fees so will need to get a loan.

My question is firstly how does student finance work? So you open a student bank account then go for a maintenance loan and a tuition loan? Can I take out a tution loan only?

I'm just worried that if I don't get my first choice and have to go to my 2nd I won't have the fees for accommodation. So what do i do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Assassinjeev22,

You can indeed take out just the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and leave the Maintenance Loan (ML) or vice versa. To put your mind at rest though, you can make changes to your application up to 9 months after the start of the academic year, so even if you only apply for the TFL right now, and it turns out you do need the ML, you can simply change that later and add the ML.

You don't need to have a student bank account specifically, as long as your bank account is in your name. It might be worthwhile taking out a student account so I'd look into the benefits of having one.

I hope this information helps but if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Assassinjeev22,

You can indeed take out just the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and leave the Maintenance Loan (ML) or vice versa. To put your mind at rest though, you can make changes to your application up to 9 months after the start of the academic year, so even if you only apply for the TFL right now, and it turns out you do need the ML, you can simply change that later and add the ML.

You don't need to have a student bank account specifically, as long as your bank account is in your name. It might be worthwhile taking out a student account so I'd look into the benefits of having one.

I hope this information helps but if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

John.

Awesome thank you!
Original post by assassinjeev22
Awesome thank you!

You're very welcome.

Best wishes,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending