The Student Room Group

My Chance to Prove My Teachers Wrong

Hello stranger and welcome to my GYG blog! It might seem strange when I tell you that I'm not happy about my grades at the moment because they're 'good' but really I'm annoyed at myself for not working hard enough last year :frown:
But before we begin, let me introduce myself...
I'm in year 11 and this summer I'm taking Maths (Edexcel) Further Maths (AQA) Geography B (Edexcel) Short Course RS (WJEC) French (AQA) German (AQA) (double languages, yeah I know I'm an idiot), English language and literature (AQA) Biology (AQA) Chemistry (AQA) and Physics (AQA) (so I'm doing triple/separate sciences).
For A-Levels I want to take biology, chemistry and maths (I know, sciencey, by somehow I've fallen head over heels for science in the past year or so and now I want to do medical research when I'm older- I could never be a doctor though, I can't stand other people 😂)
I also love chocolate, dance, spicy food, pizza and ice cream

Spoiler

Spoiler

On Friday I got my mock results back and my predicted grades. I didn't revise well AT ALL never the less, I was very happy about languages because I've never got so high before and I was quite pleased with English lit because I hadn't revised Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice (the looooongest book I've ever read that makes me jealous of all the people doing Jekyll and Hyde) enough, but I wasn't so pleased with some of the others....

Spoiler

As you can see, I met my school set target in half of my subjects but not any of my personal targets, but the other half, well...
Of course I know it's ok not to have reached my targets but I'm really annoyed at myself that I haven't because I thought I'd pull through somehow but the grade boundaries were quite high and not adjusted to what our year group got I don't think.
Also we did June 2017 papers for English Language and I got a 9 based on those marks but because of some prediction thingy the school moved the grade boundaries up by 5% so I ended up with an 8 which is really annoying and my teacher thinks I'll do worse in my actual exams even though I've been doing consistently better than a 7 all year!
Also last thing, I don't know if my GYG blog will be any good or interesting to read (I hope so though!) but it's also for me to look back on and see how I've improved but any comments are much appreciated!

So without further ado, welcome to my GYG blog on proving my teachers, and everybody else (including maybe myself) wrong! :yay:
:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry about what other people think (including parents and teachers sometimes), if you want something then get your head down and work for it.
Original post by I hate maths
Don't worry about what other people think (including parents and teachers sometimes), if you want something then get your head down and work for it.

Thank you for your encouragement! That's exactly my way of thinking!
Edit: Also woohoo my first ever reply 🎉
(edited 6 years ago)
Today I have started on my half term homework for biology, added another set for new German vocab onto Quizlet (I LOVE Quizlet, it's so good for learning language words, and trust me, when you do double language there's a lot of vocab eek!) and later I think I'll make a start on the maths papers we've been given to do over half term.

Is anyone else here doing World Challenge? I'm doing mine in 2019 to Nicaragua and I'm so excited, so I suppose this might also become a WC2019 tracker? And I do ballroom and latin dancing, I have the option to take my next exam in May/June/July, but I don't know whether or not to because of GCSEs, but I think I will because I already know most of the steps (I'm doing UKA and am on Silver Latin- did the ballroom in November- and have to do Samba, Jive and Rumba) *insert dancer emoji here*

Also I don't know how often I'll update this, definitely not twice a day because I'm too busy with school and extra-curricular stuff, but at least once a week I hope :smile:
Original post by Sciencenerd101
Today I have started on my half term homework for biology, added another set for new German vocab onto Quizlet (I LOVE Quizlet, it's so good for learning language words, and trust me, when you do double language there's a lot of vocab eek!) and later I think I'll make a start on the maths papers we've been given to do over half term.

Is anyone else here doing World Challenge? I'm doing mine in 2019 to Nicaragua and I'm so excited, so I suppose this might also become a WC2019 tracker? And I do ballroom and latin dancing, I have the option to take my next exam in May/June/July, but I don't know whether or not to because of GCSEs, but I think I will because I already know most of the steps (I'm doing UKA and am on Silver Latin- did the ballroom in November- and have to do Samba, Jive and Rumba) *insert dancer emoji here*

Also I don't know how often I'll update this, definitely not twice a day because I'm too busy with school and extra-curricular stuff, but at least once a week I hope :smile:

Yayyyy another double languager (is that a thing?!) aaahhh quizlet is so great for vocab, I’ve been using it since year eight and it hasn’t let me down yet:tongue:
woah well done on getting your half term homework done...I’m too scared to look at mine (homework?...no thanks)
Also that is amazing that you can dance! I’m like this uncoordinated octopus on the dance floor...trust me...it’s bad:redface:
finally, someone gets the pain of having a younger sibling who is gifted in the writing department:biggrin: tbh I think the only reason I do well in maths is because I know my sister won’t do the same thing but better than me:wink:
Anyway, good luck with GCSEs...we can make it whoooop whoooop
Original post by Toastiekid
Yayyyy another double languager (is that a thing?!) aaahhh quizlet is so great for vocab, I’ve been using it since year eight and it hasn’t let me down yet:tongue:
woah well done on getting your half term homework done...I’m too scared to look at mine (homework?...no thanks)
Also that is amazing that you can dance! I’m like this uncoordinated octopus on the dance floor...trust me...it’s bad:redface:
finally, someone gets the pain of having a younger sibling who is gifted in the writing department:biggrin: tbh I think the only reason I do well in maths is because I know my sister won’t do the same thing but better than me:wink:
Anyway, good luck with GCSEs...we can make it whoooop whoooop

Thanks :smile: Double languagers (making it a word) are quite rare now- only 6 in our whole year! what languages do you do? and do you think you'll do either of them for A-level? I was thinking about doing German as a 4th but I want to do EPQ and I have lots of other commitments and I want to try and learn some basic Spanish before next summer, so I'm going to be dropping both ;(
Whoops got up bit late yesterday (let's just say after lunch time...) because I was so tired after all day rehearsals for my club's yearly show next month :eek ! But I spent the rest of the day and this morning finishing the maths papers we've been set to do over half term, don't have to mark scheme (yet) but I've gone through and written on the front of each paper the areas where I struggled and now for the next few days I'm going to revise these areas on maths watch. Also I hope to write up the rest of the biology required practical by the end of the day. On my white board I've also made a half term to do list as well as a day by day to do list which i will change each day depending on what needs to be done :smile:
Ah ha think I've found a better way to add to my thread! Here are the photos relating to my previous post
What a nugget, I didn't press upload *face palm*.
Actually it seems like I'm such a nugget that I can't get it to work at all! It says there's something wrong with the server and they're JPEG so should be allowed. Help anyone?
Good luck! Following
Thanks :smile: Double languagers (making it a word) are quite rare now- only 6 in our whole year! what languages do you do? and do you think you'll do either of them for A-level? I was thinking about doing German as a 4th but I want to do EPQ and I have lots of other commitments and I want to try and learn some basic Spanish before next summer, so I'm going to be dropping both ;(

Yeah they are, we have a similar amount at my school I do french and mandarin, I don’t think I’ll continue them though as I plan to move schools for sixth form (they don’t offer either!)
Ooh I want to learn some Spanish over the summer too:tongue:
Hello stranger and welcome to my GYG blog! It might seem strange when I tell you that I'm not happy about my grades at the moment because they're 'good' but really I'm annoyed at myself for not working hard enough last year :frown:
But before we begin, let me introduce myself...
I'm in year 11 and this summer I'm taking Maths (Edexcel) Further Maths (AQA) Geography B (Edexcel) Short Course RS (WJEC) French (AQA) German (AQA) (double languages, yeah I know I'm an idiot), English language and literature (AQA) Biology (AQA) Chemistry (AQA) and Physics (AQA) (so I'm doing triple/separate sciences).
For A-Levels I want to take biology, chemistry and maths (I know, sciencey, by somehow I've fallen head over heels for science in the past year or so and now I want to do medical research when I'm older- I could never be a doctor though, I can't stand other people 😂)
I also love chocolate, dance, spicy food, badgers and cacti.
And I'm a redhead (wooh!)

On Friday I got my mock results back and my predicted grades. I didn't revise well AT ALL never the less, I was very happy about languages because I've never got so high before and I was quite pleased with English lit because I hadn't revised Macbeth and P&P (my paper 1 texts) enough, but I wasn't so pleased with some of the others...

Spoiler

As you can see, I met my EOY target in half of my subject, but the other half well...
And I know that target grades don't actually mean anything, but I know I can get my targets and I'm so annoyed that I didn't, but even more so, I'm annoyed that only 3 of my teachers think I can improve my grade and even more, only half of them think I'll get my targets! And my English Language teacher thinks I'll do worse in the real exam than I did in the mock! (About the mock, we did last year's papers and I got a 9 in both using last year's grade boundaries, but they (guess)timated this year's boundaries and now I have an 8, even though I got a 9 :frown:)
Finally, I don't know how good my GYG blog will be, but I really do enjoy writing. My little sister is the writing protégé, she's the one who gets emails home from her English teacher about her progress, who actually runs a real (anonymous) blog and she's the one who is always told she has a gift for writing. I on the other hand am the one who's gift is in science :wink: I think this is probably, secretly, why I'm so annoyed about the English language thing, in English Lit you analyse texts, but in English language you also do creative writing and I wanted to have got a 9, so my mission for English language is a 9 in August. Yes this is crazily high, but if I've done it once, I can do it again if I put in the work. To be honest this sounds a little ranty (is that a word) and I know that it's really good that my sister is good at writing and that I am better at science than her, but I'd still like to do well 😂

So ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, cats and dogs and badgers, welcome to my GYG blog on proving my teachers (and everyone else) wrong

Also ps, should anyone think that they may know me in real life, please don't bring this blog up because I will pretend it's not me :wink:

hey! following this GYG, can't wait to see how it turns out!
oh my...please help me with english. i still don't know how to write an essay (my teachers aren't much help either) and can never get past a level 6.

good luck with your studies!
Original post by mez_merising
hey! following this GYG, can't wait to see how it turns out!
oh my...please help me with english. i still don't know how to write an essay (my teachers aren't much help either) and can never get past a level 6.

good luck with your studies!

I think it's about making a point, providing evidence, explaining your evidence and how it proved your point and then linking it back to the question
Also creative writing and informative writing is worth half the mark, so try and practise a little each week, there's this thing called 100 word challenge, it's meant for younger children but every week they post a creative writing idea and some ideas of what to write about, maybe ypu could try that? I'm going to start doing it, for nf practise arguing for and against something like homework, pets etc_ the examiners will always chose something relatable for the exam
Hope that helped :smile:
I think it's about making a point, providing evidence, explaining your evidence and how it proved your point and then linking it back to the question
Also creative writing and informative writing is worth half the mark, so try and practise a little each week, there's this thing called 100 word challenge, it's meant for younger children but every week they post a creative writing idea and some ideas of what to write about, maybe ypu could try that? I'm going to start doing it, for nf practise arguing for and against something like homework, pets etc_ the examiners will always chose something relatable for the exam
Hope that helped :smile:

ah thank you so much!
Drum roll please, I think I may have cracked how to post pictures
20180214_160510-compressed.jpg.jpeg
^ my whiteboard with my to do lists
20180214_160445-compressed.jpg.jpeg
^ my maths practice papers with notes on what to revise written on them
My maths teacher just posted the mark schemes for the above papers! Yay! 🎉🎉
Will report back once they're fully marked and evaluated 😃
image-26f903fd-f6a9-48ad-9436-933ac5df7054-2092023084-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Marking maths papers whilst munching on McCoy's ridge cut flame grilled steak crisps (but I'm sad because my sister took the last chicken one :frown: )
What are your favourite crisps (mine are definitely chilli Doritos- the red ones)
Well all 3 papers were out of 80 and I got:
- paper 1 (non-calc) 73
- paper 2 (calc) 53
- paper 3 (calc) 72
Although I didn't time myself so probably spent longer than I should have on the papers, unfortunately for me, paper 2 had every subject I'm not as good at in 😂 but apart from that I'm quite pleased
image-5c82faa9-fbb2-4173-8a8c-6e5a0928b2f4-1553496241-compressed.jpg.jpeg Time to do some maths...
image-5c82faa9-fbb2-4173-8a8c-6e5a0928b2f4-1553496241-compressed.jpg.jpeg Time to do some maths...

SO MUCH FOOD:tongue:
I live for salt and vinegar crisps though when I’m in France I love ketchup flavoured crisps:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending