The Student Room Group

Should gender neutral/non-binary be a thing?

Friendly debate on your opinion on this topic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Heidi_16
Friendly debate on your opinion on this topic

Attachment not found
Reply 2
Original post by beckycraig1234
no they (whatever their personal pronoun is) should die

wow that's a bit harsh
Personally I don't see the issue! Let people be who they want to be and who they want to identify as. It doesn't affect you so if you don't agree, just leave it be. My partner identifies as non-binary and it's never changed anything, it's just who they are.
NOO, biologically you will either lean towards a male or a female.

It's all nonsense!!
Reply 5
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Personally I don't see the issue! Let people be who they want to be and who they want to identify as. It doesn't affect you so if you don't agree, just leave it be. My partner identifies as non-binary and it's never changed anything, it's just who they are.

I don't have an issue with this, i just don't agree with the fact that there are non-binary toilets for people who may not want to use them
Reply 6
Original post by jesswalton888
NOO, biologically you will either lean towards a male or a female.

It's all nonsense!!

Well what about transgenders then?
No, the whole Idea that you can change 'gender' on a whim or that you can be anything other than male of female is absurd (Deformaties or other anomalies are an exception) if people think that 'gender' a totally made up idea that for the longest of times just was another way of saying biological sex is actually 'gender identity' a thing that fundamentally makes no sense, if you want to use it as another word for sex then fine but saying that you are non binary or gender neutral means what exactly? it means nothing since it is totally made up for no useful reason, not to mention that even if you try and remove gender from biological sex they still use the word male and female, things that mean biological sex and gender? you cannot have a word that means two totally different things (one made up) in such a close area of use. it would be like instead of using hot and cold for taps we just had both of them called hot but they mean different things in the same context.

It is just another way people try to destroy societal values such as the traditional family and craziest of all the idea of sex. eventually if we do not do away with the radical insanity of current trends we will see ourselves destroyed from the inside
I don't have an issue with this, i just don't agree with the fact that there are non-binary toilets for people who may not want to use them

I can understand people who aren't non-binary not wanting to use gender neutral toilets (I personally wouldn't mind, peeing is peeing) that's why I think if they're being introduced it should be alongside the generic male and female. This is what my college has done and nobody has an issue with it! It'd be a way too big of a step to just have everything gender neutral as society wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I have no problem with transgenders, if a male wants to become a female, then fair enough. But at least they're classifying as a gender. I really do not agree with people going gender-neutral, seems like a trend to me.. You never heard of this nonsense 10 years ago.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
No, the whole Idea that you can change 'gender' on a whim or that you can be anything other than male of female is absurd (Deformaties or other anomalies are an exception) if people think that 'gender' a totally made up idea that for the longest of times just was another way of saying biological sex is actually 'gender identity' a thing that fundamentally makes no sense, if you want to use it as another word for sex then fine but saying that you are non binary or gender neutral means what exactly? it means nothing since it is totally made up for no useful reason, not to mention that even if you try and remove gender from biological sex they still use the word male and female, things that mean biological sex and gender? you cannot have a word that means two totally different things (one made up) in such a close area of use. it would be like instead of using hot and cold for taps we just had both of them called hot but they mean different things in the same context.

It is just another way people try to destroy societal values such as the traditional family and craziest of all the idea of sex. eventually if we do not do away with the radical insanity of current trends we will see ourselves destroyed from the inside

Exactly!
Reply 11
This 'non-binary' thing doesn't make ANY sense to me at all (I mean, what real indications/signs are there to even be considered as 'non-binary'?), but I don't really care much, people could be identifying as unicorn hybrids and I wouldn't give a hoot as long as it doesn't affect me, including my ability to critique the concept of gender neutrality as I wish.

No such thing as transgender. It is body modification. Your chromosomes dictate to you what you are. You can take all the hormones in the world and have all the surgery, but the moment you stop hormones you will revert.

I always get pulled up by tsr when I say this but it is the truth. Come on mods.....
Reply 13

I presume most transgenders keep their genitalia..
Reply 14
Original post by squeakysquirrel
No such thing as transgender. It is body modification. Your chromosomes dictate to you what you are. You can take all the hormones in the world and have all the surgery, but the moment you stop hormones you will revert.

I always get pulled up by tsr when I say this but it is the truth. Come on mods.....

I do agree with what you are saying but if people feel happier as another gender then don't you think they should carry on doing this?
Reply 15
Original post by k.n.h.
I presume most transgenders keep their genitalia..

well in that case they're not transgender
Reply 16
Original post by k.n.h.
This 'non-binary' thing doesn't make ANY sense to me at all (I mean, what real indications/signs are there to even be considered as 'non-binary'?), but I don't really care much, people could be identifying as unicorn hybrids and I wouldn't give a hoot as long as it doesn't affect me, including my ability to critique the concept of gender neutrality as I wish.

I completely agree
Gender neutrality/non-binary is nonsense tbh, but the memes and triggered compilations are good time fillers.
well in that case they're not transgender

I think you should look up the definitions of 'sex' and 'gender'. Only the former has anything to do with genitalia.
No. There are two sexes. You are either male or female (abnormalities aside, as they aren't relevant to the argument). You will always remain your biological sex, no matter what. Even if you are transgender you will remain your biological sex. All of these 'gender identities' are based on stereotypes and instead of 'encouraging diversity' or whatever, they're actually reinforcing the stereotypes which they claim to be fighting against.

Quick Reply

Latest