The Student Room Group

Mental Health

I'm 18, I live in England (UK) and have achieved nothing in my 18 years of living, I'm a complete failure.

Failed GCSEs gaining mostly Us and nothing above D. I went to college and gained entry level 3 English and maths but that's below GCSE level and isn't worth anything really but I had to do it due to needing some kind of qualification. I'm doing level 1 English and maths functional skills equivalent to GCSE level D - G but having trouble with it which means there's no way I'll cope with GCSEs at C or above. I suffer with horrible anxiety and depression which causes problems with my memory and I have anaemia so lack energy and constantly tired 24/7. I also hate everything about the way I look. Especially my face.

I'm a complete mess and I have no idea what I can do with my life, how can I get a decent job with 0 GCSEs and very low qualifications, it's a fact that people like me will always be on low pay or unemployed, what am I supposed to do exactly? End my life as that's what I'm thinking, no other way out of this mess.

I want to work with animals, but I can't ever see that happening, that destroys me completely as all I've wanted from a very young age is to work with animals, yet because of my stupid mental health I've ruined my whole life. How the hell do I turn this around?

I do doggy daycare but not that much and I've only ever had a Christmas temp job, I did volunteer in a few different animal places before too but never had luck with jobs at all.

I have someone close to me who always got top grades throughout school, done A levels and got top grades then eventually went on to get a masters degree and now works a good paid job doing what they want to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18, I live in England (UK) and have achieved nothing in my 18 years of living, I'm a complete failure.

Failed GCSEs gaining mostly Us and nothing above D. I went to college and gained entry level 3 English and maths but that's below GCSE level and isn't worth anything really but I had to do it due to needing some kind of qualification. I'm doing level 1 English and maths functional skills equivalent to GCSE level D - G but having trouble with it which means there's no way I'll cope with GCSEs at C or above. I suffer with horrible anxiety and depression which causes problems with my memory and I have anaemia so lack energy and constantly tired 24/7. I also hate everything about the way I look. Especially my face.

I'm a complete mess and I have no idea what I can do with my life, how can I get a decent job with 0 GCSEs and very low qualifications, it's a fact that people like me will always be on low pay or unemployed, what am I supposed to do exactly? End my life as that's what I'm thinking, no other way out of this mess.

I want to work with animals, but I can't ever see that happening, that destroys me completely as all I've wanted from a very young age is to work with animals, yet because of my stupid mental health I've ruined my whole life. How the hell do I turn this around?

I do doggy daycare but not that much and I've only ever had a Christmas temp job, I did volunteer in a few different animal places before too but never had luck with jobs at all.

I have someone close to me who always got top grades throughout school, done A levels and got top grades then eventually went on to get a masters degree and now works a good paid job doing what they want to do.

Hey, come on - I'm sure you've achieved things. You're just stuck in a cycle of negative thinking or something.

There's no need to give up. There are still things you can do. For example, there are loads of apprenticeships which only require Functional Maths and English, and there are some that don't even need that. Search around on https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch.

Or take a look on https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people - they offer support for starting a career, and gaining skills and work experience. It's definitely worth a look.
Reply 2
Original post by 2-99
Hey, come on - I'm sure you've achieved things. You're just stuck in a cycle of negative thinking or something.

There's no need to give up. There are still things you can do. For example, there are loads of apprenticeships which only require Functional Maths and English, and there are some that don't even need that. Search around on https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch.

Or take a look on https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people - they offer support for starting a career, and gaining skills and work experience. It's definitely worth a look.

My dream is to work with animals, if I can't do that then there's really no point in me living
Original post by Anonymous
My dream is to work with animals, if I can't do that then there's really no point in me living

Hey bud.

I can't reveal my name but I just want you to know you're not alone, and that things can get better. I've struggled with my own issues over the last few years, and they've impacted me a lot. I've learned a few things which may help point you in the right direction or give you some insight.

Firstly, I recommend getting some professional help. If you're from the UK, that likely means going to your GP and seeing what they can do. In my case I was offered a place on a CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) course. It's not as freakish as it sounds, its largely about helping you to think more realistically and stop unfair self-criticism or self-pity.

Another thing you should definitely try is meditation. It takes commitment but the benefits are worth it. If you have a phone, download and try either Headspace or Calm.

Secondly, the vast majority of people have the same worries you do in terms of 'what do I do in life?'. Like I used to, you seem to have a big problem of overlooking everything positive. It's like the opposite of rose-tinted glasses. You need to take them off and allow yourself to see the positive.

In addition, you should realise that regardless of qualifications, most people do not know what career they want- or how to get it. You are thus by no means alone in this respect. In fact, the fact that you know you want to work with animals is a strength. If you know this is what you want to do, go for it. Its also worth noting that your friend is a happy anomaly in that a lot of people even with good education don't know what they're doing. This person could also help you find your way in life. You need to rise above any jealousy or self-pity you may have if you really want to change your life. I for instance often ask people I see as successful in various ways for advice or just ask about how they approach things, and see what I can learn from what they do.

I feel confident saying this stuff to you because I've gone through my own treatment and learned a lot along the way. I'm just a couple of years older than you are now.

Finally, there is no way you're a complete failure. You may have told yourself 300 times or 3,000 times that you are, but you are not. If there are people that love you, people you've helped, animals you've helped, people you've made smile - you are not a failure. The education system is outdated and most of the things you learn won't help you in later life. By extension, there's only a few things you would need to consider brushing up on if your grades aren't up to the entry-requirements for certain jobs (most likely English/Maths at some level - which I know you can achieve).

It may be hard to accept that you've been looking at the world through a negatively tinted lens, but I truly believe you can move past it. I think its great that you want to work with animals, I myself want to work in environmental protection. Your desire to help animals - something other than yourself can give you strength. If you don't want to study for yourself, do it for your family, your loved ones, your friends, the animals. What you do in life affects everyone around you, and if you give up on yourself and take your own life everyone around you will be deeply saddened. Everyone wants you to succeed, including me.

All the best,
J
If you love animals it's actually going to be very achievable to have a life you enjoy. Maybe you can find a way to work with animals, vet receptionist, working in a shelter, helping on a farm etc. Maybe you can end up with your own business with the doggy day care or as a doggy hotel (they're becoming very popular). If not - well lots of people don't achieve their dreams - you'll still have options. You can have your own animals. You can volunteer some time at a shelter. It's not like you want to be a pilot where training to fly your own plane will be impossible for most people.
You’ve already made a great start by doing a doggy daycare, I also live in England and left school with no qualifications and I’m starting a college course in September so don’t think it’s ever to late

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending