The Student Room Group

Should gender neutral/non-binary be a thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Good bloke
I think you should look up the definitions of 'sex' and 'gender'. Only the former has anything to do with genitalia.

well i'm sure that your sex determines your gender and so does your genitalia - if you disagree then thats fine but that is my personal opinion
Reply 21
Original post by Heidi_16
well in that case they're not transgender

A transgender is a person who doesn't conform to their gender and thinks they are another, they don't have to get their genitals changed..
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/transgender

I've never heard of a trans person with changed genitals, and this practice does involve mutilation, which is still up for debate as it is widely seen as an unethical and painful process (I agree with this opinion). That's why very little people are heard that they have gone through genital surgery.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't really understand the gender neutral/non-binary labels but if people wish to identify under them, then I don't see why they should not be allowed to. They aren't hurting their selves or anyone else by doing so. Therefore, there is no logical reason to have a problem with it.
Original post by beckycraig1234
why? they are stupid you're either male or female, not a unicorn or an alien or it.

if you have a vagina then you're a female
if you have a penis then you're a male

your friend is an idiot, clearly do it for attention. society will complain at anything and everything. bring back hitler

I don't think you should be calling other people idiots when you can't grasp basic grammar.
Reply 24
Original post by k.n.h.
A transgender is a person who doesn't conform to their biological gender and thinks they are another, they don't have to get their genitals changed..
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/transgender

I've never heard of a trans person with changed genitals, and this practice does involve mutilation, which is still up for debate as it is widely seen as an unethical and painful process (I agree with this opinion). That's why very little people are heard that they have gone through genital surgery.

I have heard of many different people who have gone through the surgery of changing their genitals
Reply 25
I don't care if you have nothing else going on in your life that you associate with non binary but don't force people to use your stupid little 'pronouns', maybe people aren't referring to your gender, but, your sex, whats the argument for that as there are only two sexes.
Reply 26
I have heard of many different people who have gone through the surgery of changing their genitals

The people who don't and feel that they are a different gender are still 'transgender' then. And what is your opinion on genital surgery? If you're replacing genitalia, in most cases, wouldn't that be mutilation?
Reply 27
Original post by constantine2016
I don't really understand the gender neutral/non-binary labels but if people wish to identify under them, then I don't see why they should not be allowed to. They aren't hurting their selves or anyone else by doing so. Therefore, there is no logical reason to have a problem with it.

I agree with this, it is just the fact that some of them try to force their beliefs on to people who do not agree with the whole non-binary thing
Reply 28
Original post by k.n.h.
The people who don't and feel that they are a different gender are still 'transgender' then. And what is your opinion on genital surgery? If you're replacing genitalia, in most cases, wouldn't that be mutilation?

No, i don't believe it to be mutilation as the individuals are consenting to it, if they did not want it to happen then in that case yes.
No, it’s nonsense. Everyone is a biological man or woman (or intersex but that’s a different matter), no amount of binding, hormones or surgeries will ever change that.

I am a woman, some days I like to wear make up and spend hours on my hair, some days I like to wear my husbands pyjamas and lay in bed all day playing video games. Does that make me gender neutral? No, it means I’m a woman who enjoys doing non-typical woman things.

It’s pathetic, a few years ago it was fashionable for teens to be anorexic. This has now been replaced with gender confusion.
Reply 30
Original post by jdddd
I don't care if you have nothing else going on in your life that you associate with non binary but don't force people to use your stupid little 'pronouns', maybe people aren't referring to your gender, but, your sex, whats the argument for that as there are only two sexes.

But what if people are happier identifying as a different gender?
Original post by k.n.h.

It depends on your definition. If say you deemed someone cutting off a perfectly healthy arm as mutilation, then yes gender reassignment is indeed mutilation.
Reply 32
Original post by del1rious
No, it’s nonsense. Everyone is a biological man or woman (or intersex but that’s a different matter), no amount of binding, hormones or surgeries will ever change that.

I am a woman, some days I like to wear make up and spend hours on my hair, some days I like to wear my husbands pyjamas and lay in bed all day playing video games. Does that make me gender neutral? No, it means I’m a woman who enjoys doing non-typical woman things.

It’s pathetic, a few years ago it was fashionable for teens to be anorexic. This has now been replaced with gender confusion.

I have the same opinion - i feel as though maybe it is a trend and the fact people are forcing this on to their newborn children by not giving them a gender is stupid
No, i don't believe it to be mutilation as the individuals are consenting to it, if they did not want it to happen then in that case yes.

If I consented to cutting my perfectly healthy leg off would you see that as mutilation? Self mutilation is a thing, consent doesn’t play a part imo
well i'm sure that your sex determines your gender and so does your genitalia - if you disagree then thats fine but that is my personal opinion

Your sex is determined by what genitalia and DNA you have. Men have penes, women have vaginas. There are some unfortunate individuals with choromosomal defects and malformed genitalia who we might call intersex, but let's leave them aside - they are very rare indeed.

However, gender is a rather nebulous concept (outside grammar) in which any man can declare himself to be of the female gender, or of none, apparently. The motivation to do so often springs from something called gender dysphoria which appears to be a troubled mental state.

He obviously cannot sensibly declare himself to be a woman as he doesn't have the right components, but he can express solidarity with women and dress and act like a woman in some respects - and thus declare himself to be of the female gender. Some individuals like this undergo surgery to complete the illusion that they are of the opposite sex. But some individuals have had similar extreme cosmetic surgery to try and make them look very odd indeed.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/7-examples-of-extreme-plastic-surgery
Reply 35
But what if people are happier identifying as a different gender?

Sex and gender are slightly different. So, why can't I refer to your sex and not gender?
Reply 36
Original post by del1rious
If I consented to cutting my perfectly healthy leg off would you see that as mutilation? Self mutilation is a thing, consent doesn’t play a part imo

No cutting your leg off is completely different
It's nonsense without any credible evidence behind it. Dr. Jordan Peterson has addressed this subject very well recently, and the responses from the activists with an interest in pushing this agenda was very telling indeed.
I have the same opinion - i feel as though maybe it is a trend and the fact people are forcing this on to their newborn children by not giving them a gender is stupid

It’s not just stupid it’s downright abuse. The next step is parents chemically castrating their young children who claim to be the opposite sex (all children probably do this naturally at some point).

Seriously what’s the big deal with treating your child like their biologically assigned sex? It hasn’t caused any harm to humanity so far has it? Oh wait, we need to adjust the universally accepted system of truth and logic to appease the beliefs of a few people who want to cut their genitals off. And this is progress HOW?
Reply 39
Original post by jdddd
Sex and gender are slightly different. So, why can't I refer to your sex and not gender?

Becuase i feel as though they're the same thing?

Quick Reply

Latest