The Student Room Group

Should gender neutral/non-binary be a thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by del1rious
It’s not just stupid it’s downright abuse. The next step is parents chemically castrating their young children who claim to be the opposite sex (all children probably do this naturally at some point).

Seriously what’s the big deal with treating your child like their biologically assigned sex? It hasn’t caused any harm to humanity so far has it? Oh wait, we need to adjust the universally accepted system of truth and logic to appease the beliefs of a few people who want to cut their genitals off. And this is progress HOW?

exactly
Reply 41
Original post by Heidi_16
Becuase i feel as though they're the same thing?

They're not, sex is based off of your reproductive functions, one can only be male or female. Gender is typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones.
Reply 42
Original post by jdddd
They're not, sex is based off of your reproductive functions, one can only be male or female. Gender is typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones.

Well I think that your genitals define your gender and sex
Reply 43
Original post by Heidi_16
Well I think that your genitals define your gender and sex

Technically speaking they're not, but who cares.
Reply 46

I can't open the file - it is blocked.
Reply 48
Original post by del1rious
It depends on your definition. If say you deemed someone cutting off a perfectly healthy arm as mutilation, then yes gender reassignment is indeed mutilation.

Yes, I deem it as such.
No. There are only 2 genders - science will back me up on this. Transgenderism is valid (a mental illness) but gender is a binary.
I personally feel it's male and female. You cann't change gender to how you feel, even if you feel like something else. There are only two.
There are different sexualities sure. I myself am bisexual, but only two genders.
If someone were to claim there were another gender, I wouldn't get angry/argue. Just let them be and do what they want.
In reality though, there are two.
People say that sex is binary, but it's not because intersex people exist: that's XX, XY, XXY, XYY, and in rare cases a single X or Y. Sex doesn't seem so binary now, does it? Your gender identity is an innate part of yourself that develops with age and experience, much like one's sexuality, and is separate to your biology. For some, it is evident where they fit from an early age, for others it comes with trial and error. Non binary does not equal gender neutrality. Non binary does not equal transgender (this word is an ADJECTIVE not a noun, use it appropriately!), either, for SOME people. Non binary, psychologically speaking, means to identify outside of male and female. This could mean identifying partially as male/female and partially as something else not yet figured out, to being gender neutral, to feeling "nothing" in regards to one's own gender. A person who identifies as non-binary may use any pronouns they feel "fit" their identity - he/she/they/xe, etc. as a way of expressing their identity in feminine/masculine/neutral forms
Another person cannot tell me that the way I identify is "silly" or "ridiculous" because they are not in my head space, they have not had my experiences or know of the sense of happiness I feel when a customer at work calls me "person/they". Yes, there are more important things in the world to focus on: the increased amount of waste in space; poverty in African countries; ending global war; trying to secure a decent education, getting a job, etc. We're not obsessed about our gender identity, or crazy social justice warriors as the media and opposition depict us to be. We are human who want to be comfortable with life and strive towards the greatest versions of ourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest