The Student Room Group

Is History over?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
Francis Fukuyama says that:

"we may be witnessing...the end of history as such: ... the end point of mankind's ideological evolution and the universalization of Western liberal democracy as the final form of human government"

Is humanity destined to end up with the same system of what we now call "Western liberal democracy"?

As such, is it fair to say that the history of political ideologies is drawing to a close?

:beard:

Clash of Civilisations has continued; Time has proven Fukuyama wrong in that it is not the end of history as we know it but a shift into a new era

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
Who do we in the West trust more? Our political leaders or our technology leaders?
I think that varies a lot. I personally trust political leaders more because they're elected (mostly) and can be held to account more easily (even if they are still rubbish usually). With technology leaders, this doesn't exist. There is far less control in the hands of the people. Unless you argue that the market gives you control.
Original post by 04MR17
I think that varies a lot. I personally trust political leaders more because they're elected (mostly) and can be held to account more easily (even if they are still rubbish usually). With technology leaders, this doesn't exist. There is far less control in the hands of the people. Unless you argue that the market gives you control.

Which group do you regard as most competent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which group do you regard as most competent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Competent at what?:curious:
Original post by 04MR17
Competent at what?:curious:

What they do.
What they do.
I regard the technology industry's leaders as more competent at what they do. Being to dominate and monopolise a capitalist market and industry, and avoid as much tax as possible in the process. They do that very well. Politicians (certainly in this country) are often quite bad at their jobs in my view, but comparing the two is difficult since their roles are very different (which the exception of tax avoidance).
Original post by 04MR17
I regard the technology industry's leaders as more competent at what they do. Being to dominate and monopolise a capitalist market and industry, and avoid as much tax as possible in the process. They do that very well. Politicians (certainly in this country) are often quite bad at their jobs in my view, but comparing the two is difficult since their roles are very different (which the exception of tax avoidance).

I agree. I think that leaders of industry could well become more overt about how they use their influence, eg Zuckerberg. Most people would probably sacrifice their firstborn rather than give up social media...
Most people would probably sacrifice their firstborn rather than give up social media...
I know what you mean but think that's a massive generalisation.
Original post by 04MR17
I know what you mean but think that's a massive generalisation.

Haven't seen my son for a while... 😂
Haven't seen my son for a while... 😂

Spoiler

Original post by 04MR17

Spoiler

What the hell are you doing in Keele!!! :confused: Get back to Birmingham!!!

Slightly more seriously, and putting together part of this thread with one of your others in which you mentioned 'big history'...

The iconoclast American historian Carroll Quigley argues in The Evolution of Civilization that the most common reason for a civilization to go start to falter is the failure to apply surplus production to new ways of doing things. Instead, the surplus is used for things such as ostentatious display, pointless monuments or simply held unused. I wonder what he would have made of Google proposing to spend $1bn on its London HQ or Apple storing $250bn in cash?
What the hell are you doing in Keele!!! :confused: Get back to Birmingham!!!

Slightly more seriously, and putting together part of this thread with one of your others in which you mentioned 'big history'...

The iconoclast American historian Carroll Quigley argues in The Evolution of Civilization that the most common reason for a civilization to go start to falter is the failure to apply surplus production to new ways of doing things. Instead, the surplus is used for things such as ostentatious display, pointless monuments or simply held unused. I wonder what he would have made of Google proposing to spend $1bn on its London HQ or Apple storing $250bn in cash?
:lol:

I've made a lot of threads since talking about big history (I'd forgotten about that:lol:).

That's an interesting point though.
Original post by 04MR17
:lol:

I've made a lot of threads since talking about big history (I'd forgotten about that:lol:).

That's an interesting point though.

Is there a particular Big History module at Keele?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a particular Big History module at Keele?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think so.:smile: It was just something that caught my eye a while ago.
Original post by 04MR17
Don't think so.:smile: It was just something that caught my eye a while ago.

Add Sapiens and perhaps Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari to the books I recommended previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Who do we in the West trust more? Our political leaders or our technology leaders?

Theyre both lying sacks of crap.
History is not history
Original post by Napp
Theyre both lying sacks of crap.
You failed to answer the question.

:gasp:
Original post by UWS
He has an interesting surname for sure.

It could be worse, if you're the Associate Professor of Journalism and Media Studies at the University of Hong Kong... :rolleyes:

http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp00552
Definitely not the end of history, history makes itself everyday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending