The Student Room Group

Write your experience: Car insurance companies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ewok94
I’ve been banned with 17 points so black box on a picanto May Be my only option in a few months when I get my license back for insurance under £2k. I’ve paid £3500 for third party on a 7 year old 1.1 Citroen c2 before so I know all the tricks.

Explain to me Emma how people are caught for insurance fronting because I’ve not seen anyone denied a pay out with fronted or non declared convictions insurance. How would an insurance company go about catching someone who was fronting insurance then?

1) i highly doubt that you have been banned with 17 points. I smell bull****.
2) Insurance companies commonly find out if you have an accident. They do a lot of digging (they will find anything to get out of paying if they can. They have other ways and means as well, but the having an accident is a common one. And if they find out- goodnight vienna- your insurance is cancelled (so you have a cancellation on your record) and they could do you for having no insurance as well.
Original post by Ewok94
I’ve been banned with 17 points so black box on a picanto May Be my only option in a few months when I get my license back for insurance under £2k. I’ve paid £3500 for third party on a 7 year old 1.1 Citroen c2 before so I know all the tricks.

Explain to me Emma how people are caught for insurance fronting because I’ve not seen anyone denied a pay out with fronted or non declared convictions insurance. How would an insurance company go about catching someone who was fronting insurance then?

We've seen loads. I mean on the Ford owners forum there was a lad who had his insurance voided after an accident because he'd bought an ST as a first car and put his Dad as the main driver with himself as named. Apparently they'd sent a letter to his neighbours who'd always assumed the son owned the car as he was the only one driving it. When the vehicle was at the assessors, bunch of receipts in the centre console some with the son's name or card last 4 and all kinds of docs and stuff in the son's name lol.

He's still trying to re-pass his test after getting 6 points for driving without valid insurance by the way.
Reply 22
Original post by Emma:-)
1) i highly doubt that you have been banned with 17 points. I smell bull****.
2) Insurance companies commonly find out if you have an accident. They do a lot of digging (they will find anything to get out of paying if they can. They have other ways and means as well, but the having an accident is a common one. And if they find out- goodnight vienna- your insurance is cancelled (so you have a cancellation on your record) and they could do you for having no insurance as well.

You can view my license if you like haha! I can tell you have no information to back this up though. I’m telling you from lots of experience but you’re just making it up as you go along. Also the police can charge you with driving without insurance whenever they feel like it seems even if you do hold insurance, no idea how it works, considering when you watch them on tv their ANPR tells them everything they need to know immediately.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by nevershear
We've seen loads. I mean on the Ford owners forum there was a lad who had his insurance voided after an accident because he'd bought an ST as a first car and put his Dad as the main driver with himself as named. Apparently they'd sent a letter to his neighbours who'd always assumed the son owned the car as he was the only one driving it. When the vehicle was at the assessors, bunch of receipts in the centre console some with the son's name or card last 4 and all kinds of docs and stuff in the son's name lol.

He's still trying to re-pass his test after getting 6 points for driving without valid insurance by the way.

Yeah you would need to have an agreement with the person fronting before you do he fronting yourself. They could say that was enough evidence but at the end of the day he’s a named driver so no reason for his docs to be in there. Better to be safe than sorry though and not make it too obvious who the main user is. But I’ve never known anyone with common sense to be denied a pay out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ewok94
You can view my license if you like haha! I can tell you have no information to back this up though. I’m telling you from lots of experience but you’re just making it up as you go along

I'll humor this out of curiosity, PM me a share code or post it here.
Reply 25
I'll humor this out of curiosity, PM me a share code or post it here.

3 points £100 red light
5 point £500 speeding
3 points £100 phone
3 points £100 careless driving
4 points £100/£200? careless driving

Just realised It was actually 18 points, Banned September 9th for 6 months for toting up - license returned next month.

Thankfully another serious charge acquired while driving - reckless and culpable conduct (AKA Reckless Endagerment in the US) - is a non motoring conviction so doesn’t need to be declared. Otherwise I’d be fxxked forever since in scotland your convictions remain on your record longer than a prison sentence in England.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ewok94
3 points £100 red light
5 point £500 speeding
3 points £100 phone
3 points £100 careless driving
4 points £100/£200? careless driving

Just realised It was actually 18 points, Banned September 9th for 6 months for toting up - license returned next month.

Thankfully another serious charge acquired while driving - reckless and culpable conduct - is a non motoring conviction so doesn’t need to be declared. Otherwise I’d be fxxked forever since in scotland your convictions remain on your record longer than a prison sentence in England.

It's 6 points for being on the phone whilst driving, unless this was a couple of years ago. In which case finding all those points in so much time is nothing short of ridiculous. Surely you should have had a ban ages before that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
It's 6 points for being on the phone whilst driving, unless this was a couple of years ago.

Yes it’s 6 points and £200 to get all the daft new drivers off the road. I’d been driving 6 years. Yes, As you know your points are valid for 3 years and remain on the license for 4.

Depends on your lawyer and how much money you have in your pocket, there’s people on the road with 30+ point. Even in this instance with 18 points my lawyer had told me there would be a good chance of getting a short term ban which is like 56days so when the English female judge said 6 months I hurled abuse at her only avoiding a contempt of court charge because she didn’t understand what I’d said.

That number of points was ridiculous, I think I have ADD or something but some of the charges could have been disputed but they weren’t for one reason or another.

On another note, the final 4 points I received for careless driving was for crashing my 2014 fiesta st, very bad front end crash, engine destroyed, had 45k on the clock and someone has fixed it up and sold it on with 10k on the clock. So Avoid cat d’s at all costs 😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ewok94
I’ve been banned with 17 points so black box on a Explain to me Emma how people are caught for insurance fronting because I’ve not seen anyone denied a pay out with fronted or non declared convictions insurance. How would an insurance company go about catching someone who was fronting insurance then?

Well, for example, say if you crash one day on the way to work, and you've told the insurance you're using the car for non-commuting purposes... I'd say you've got a huge chance of being ****ed over for insurance fraud.
Original post by Ewok94
Yes it’s 6 points and £200 to get all the On another note I crashed my 2014 fiesta, very bad front end crash, engine destroyed, had 45k on the clock and someone has fixed it up and sold it on with 10k on the clock. So Avoid cat d’s at all costs 😂

If it was completely messed up, then the car would more than likely be a Cat C car, not Cat D. Cat D is usually for minor panel damage.
Reply 30
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Well, for example, say if you crash one day on the way to work, and you've told the insurance you're using the car for non-commuting purposes... I'd say you've got a huge chance of being ****ed over for insurance fraud.

Obviously
Reply 31
If it was completely messed up, then the car would more than likely be a Cat C car, not Cat D. Cat D is usually for minor panel damage.

I just know the cars been sold I didn’t see the advert so I don’t know if it was advertised as C or D. In my opinion it may as well have been a B cos it may as well have been burnt out.

Or can someone tell me if there is a Way to find out what insurance category write off a car is/was?
(edited 6 years ago)

Original post by Ewok94
Obviously

Sorry, I don't think I've actually explained that well lol. (I'm still very tired)

I meant they'd assume that you've also been the main driver of the car, when you said you weren't.

Original post by Ewok94
I just know the cars been sold I didn’t see the advert so I don’t know if it was advertised as C or D. In my opinion it may as well have been a B cos it may as well have been burnt out

Fair enough. I assume when you said it'd been sold with 10k miles on the clock, the odometer was tampered with?
Reply 33
Sorry, I don't think I've actually explained that well lol. (I'm still very tired)

I meant they'd assume that you've also been the main driver of the car, when you said you weren't.

Fair enough. I assume when you said it'd been sold with 10k miles on the clock, the odometer was tampered with?

All about the plausible deniability then? I thought the car would be scrapped but I looked at the mot checker and it had been MOTd before it’s 3 year anniversary. The MOT showed 10000 miles when 3-4 months previous I hadn’t written the car off with 45k on the clock. I would assume it’s been clocked as that’s easy to get done and legal.
I have unbelievable excitement for @IWMTom and @CurlyBen to catch up on this thread. :biggrin:
Reply 35
I have unbelievable excitement for @IWMTom and @CurlyBen to catch up on this thread. :biggrin:

I think it's pretty clear that the user in question is a reckless idiot who needs locking up before he does some serious damage not only to himself, but others around him.

It's a shame to see such a person still be permitted to drive when he shows a flagrant disregard for what is sensible, and what isn't. Another chlorination in the gene pool got off too lightly.
Reply 36
Original post by IWMTom
I think it's pretty clear that the user in question is a reckless idiot who needs locking up before he does some serious damage not only to himself, but others around him.

It's a shame to see such a person still be permitted to drive when he shows a flagrant disregard for what is sensible, and what isn't. Another chlorination in the gene pool got off too lightly.

OH **** the big man has arrived. I was passing my experience on to others, your majesty.
Reply 37
Original post by Ewok94
OH **** the big man has arrived. I was passing my experience on to others, your majesty.

It's all well and good having a bit of fun on the roads, and many of us here frequently do, but it's clear that in your case you cross the line quite regularly, especially using your phone whilst driving; that's something I can never agree with.

To see you recommend insurance fraud on a public forum sickens me - that sort of the thing is the reason premiums are on the rise. Take a good hard look at yourself before driving again.
Reply 38
Original post by IWMTom
It's all well and good having a bit of fun on the roads, and many of us here frequently do, but it's clear that in your case you cross the line quite regularly, especially using your phone whilst driving; that's something I can never agree with.

To see you recommend insurance fraud on a public forum sickens me - that sort of the thing is the reason premiums are on the rise. Take a good hard look at yourself before driving again.

Your assumptions are probably incorrect. Hats the difference between a main driver driving and a named driver? Risk? Is that your problem? No it’s the rich persons problem. This is an us versus them so stop taking the high horse. What have your insurance companies done for you over the years apart from take your money? Go moan at people for not insuring their cars or taxing their cars or people who drive drunk instead.

The price of insurance sickens me. Your attitude sickens me. This country sickens me

I wasn’t using my phone. Phone was easier to type than Handheld device but using a handheld device was the charge. Hence how I only got 5 points for the speeding charge because I shouldn’t have been done with the phone in the first place because It was an iPod touch
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Ewok94
Your assumptions are probably incorrect.

The price of insurance sickens me. Your attitude sickens me. This country sickens me
I wasn’t using my phone. Handheld device was the charge. Hence how I only got 5 points for the speeding charge because I shouldn’t have been done with the phone in the first place. It was an iPod touch

I'm sorry, but why does the device matter? It's a distraction, is it not? Whilst you're fumbling about with your little devices, a child could run out in to the road, or a car could swerve into your lane.

Do you not understand that what you've been doing is wrong? Are you actually that dense that you can't see how incredibly reckless you've been?

My attitude sickens you? Good lord you need to get a grip, mate; you've got 18 points on your driving licence!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending