The Student Room Group

Is the death penalty neccessary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
And I think you're unaware of the millions it costs to put someone through the numerous rigourous trials in order to get to a verdict of death that reduces as far as possible the chance that they could be innocent.
Those millions vastly outstrip the relatively paltry sum you're quoting.

And yes, I have. A ******** phrase that serves nobody any good.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

What purpose do horrific serial killers have within society? There is no rehabilitation for them, they are too mentally unfit. They do not deserve to have warm beds, a shelter to live in and 3 meals a day. What's that going to teach people? If you murder 15 people, the maximum punishment you'll get is living under supervision, given books to read, given 3 meals a day and given a TV to watch. We are just encouraging people who have do not have a house or food to eat, to look for an easy option to gain sustainable living i.e. killing innocent people and getting a better environment to live in. There is no deterrent whatsoever, this is why we need the death penalty!!
Death penalty isn't effective in the USA as it has been used as a form of institutionalized racism to get 'rid' of all black people.
They tend to take to trial young boys who are black aged under 14 as adults and they give them either life or death penalty for crimes which get a white person 7 years.
Also, the justice system in America is that you have to "convince" the judge that your story is correct. This is where motive comes into part because the prosecuting team make up a motive and hardly fight for it to be believed.
A common example is the black man who spent over 2 decades in prison for a rape he never committed.
The prosecution at the time accused him of being a "violent, black male" etc.
Terrible.
Reply 42
Original post by livxwaterman
Death penalty for Islamophobia and Xenophobia should exist.

Really, why? Why not Christianophiobia? or any other religion? Why just Islam? Did you we live in the West and we have the right to question a set of ideas? Or are you a Muslim?
Original post by Heidi_16
They don't live without guilt, they should live with fear knowing that they are going to be punished for the sick crime they have punished, if they have murdered other people - why shouldnt the same happen to them?
Most prisoners have an easier life than the majority of elderly or homeless people

I see your point but surely they’d prefer to be executed than live in isolation for their entire lives
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
Yes maybe its the easy way out, but i would be happier knowing sick people have been killed rather than living an okay life in prison

Personally I think the answer is to improve the prison system (make it more strict and a better focus on rehabilitation) rather than just kill them all. And i’m happy for my tax money to go into prisons, paying to keep criminals off the streets and rehabilitation to those who just got a bad start in life.

It’s very drastic to go from “the prison system isn’t doing what it should” to “let’s invest millions in killing prisoners”.
Reply 46
Original post by erratic_deus
Death penalty isn't effective in the USA as it has been used as a form of institutionalized racism to get 'rid' of all black people.
They tend to take to trial young boys who are black aged under 14 as adults and they give them either life or death penalty for crimes which get a white person 7 years.
Also, the justice system in America is that you have to "convince" the judge that your story is correct. This is where motive comes into part because the prosecuting team make up a motive and hardly fight for it to be believed.
A common example is the black man who spent over 2 decades in prison for a rape he never committed.
The prosecution at the time accused him of being a "violent, black male" etc.
Terrible.

Everything now days has to be 'racist'. You're basically saying anyone who commits a crime who's black in America gets the death penalty?
Yes maybe its the easy way out, but i would be happier knowing sick people have been killed rather than living an okay life in prison

It's a misconception that prisoners live in luxury.

The majority do not live "an okay life"
Original post by jdddd
Oh shut up. lol. Everything now days has to be 'racist'. You're basically saying anyone who commits a crime who's black in America gets the death penalty? Lol.

Expand your vocab please!
I hate filler words such as "basically" and "like".

I also never said that every black person gets the death penalty.
Please don't make up absurd claims!
Reply 49
Original post by cat_mac
Personally I think the answer is to improve the prison system (make it more strict and a better focus on rehabilitation) rather than just kill them all. And i’m happy for my tax money to go into prisons, paying to keep criminals off the streets and rehabilitation to those who just got a bad start in life.

It’s very drastic to go from “the prison system isn’t doing what it should” to “let’s invest millions in killing prisoners”.

Whats your opinion when the Police shoot someone? For example you actually believe the the London Bridge terrorists should be put in prison and not given the Death sentence? They could radicalise many others in prison, who have lesser sentences, so when they come out, with their extremist ideas, plot further attacks.

I didn't know death by hanging cost much. The price of rope must have gone up.
Yes but people who are mentally unstable are usually not given the death sentence, but instead put in an insitution

Oh. Probably should have listened in my RS lessons😂
Reply 51
Expand your vocab please!
I hate filler words such as "basically" and "like".

I also never said that every black person gets the death penalty.
Please don't make up absurd claims!

Quote from you 'Death penalty isn't effective in the USA as it has been used as a form of institutionalized racism to get 'rid' of all black people.'

How are they going to get rid of all black people if they aren't handing down the death sentence to them in the millions? Unless they are giving every black person who commits a crime the death sentence, that sure would take hundreds of billions of years to, as you describe, 'get rid of al black people'.
Original post by jdddd
Whats your opinion when the Police shoot someone? For example you actually believe the the London Bridge terrorists should be put in prison and not given the Death sentence? They could radicalise many others in prison, who have lesser sentences, so when they come out, with their extremist ideas, plot further attacks.

Hey stop trolling!
Reply 53
Hey stop trolling!

Accuse me of trolling when you have no argument, weak, lol, thought so.
Original post by jesswalton888
What purpose do horrific serial killers have within society? There is no rehabilitation for them, they are too mentally unfit. They do not deserve to have warm beds, a shelter to live in and 3 meals a day. What's that going to teach people? If you murder 15 people, the maximum punishment you'll get is living under supervision, given books to read, given 3 meals a day and given a TV to watch. We are just encouraging people who have do not have a house or food to eat, to look for an easy option to gain sustainable living i.e. killing innocent people and getting a better environment to live in. There is no deterrent whatsoever, this is why we need the death penalty!!

The death penalty isn't a deterrent though, is it?

You also can't heap all serial killers into one group as if they are all the same, there are many different reasons why people kill, some are mentally ill, some are not, but lumping them all together is unhelpful, especially when you consider all the research that could be used from speaking to them and trying to understand why they've committed the crimes they have. I really think people don't realise what prison conditions are actually like, a lot of the high-security prisons in the US are horrific
Original post by jdddd

I don’t think police should shoot to kill unless it’s completely necessary. Those situations are very complicated and I don’t think you can judge them as a whole. Police shoot someone if there is no other way of stopping them killing others, it’s self defence or defence of the public. Very different to the death penalty.

No, I don’t think the London Bridge terrorists should be given the death sentence, if they are a danger to other prisoners like that then put them in solitary confinement.

Someone else made a good post on the costs associated with the death penalty further up:

Original post by Drewski
And I think you're unaware of the millions it costs to put someone through the numerous rigourous trials in order to get to a verdict of death that reduces as far as possible the chance that they could be innocent.
Those millions vastly outstrip the relatively paltry sum you're quoting.

And yes, I have. A ******** phrase that serves nobody any good.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by cat_mac
I don’t think police should shoot to kill unless it’s completely necessary. Those situations are very complicated and I don’t think you can judge them as a whole. Police shoot someone if there is no other way of stopping them killing others, it’s self defence or defence of the public. Very different to the death penalty.

No, I don’t think the London Bridge terrorists should be given the death sentence, if they are a danger to other prisoners like that then put them in solitary confinement.

Someone else made a good post on the costs associated with the death penalty further up:

True. But also sentencing is in the defence of others too. To stop them harming others.

You can only put someone in solitary confinement for so long before Humans rights Laws maybe brought up.
Original post by jdddd
True. But also sentencing is in the defence of others too. To stop them harming others.

You can only put someone in solitary confinement for so long before Humans rights Laws maybe brought up.

It depends how bad the threat is. I understand the anger and the reasoning behind why people want the death penalty, I just don’t agree with it. I’d rather we invest in changing the prison system or early intervention, counter terrorism, working with young offenders. There are so many steps that I think we need to take before thinking about the death penalty.
Reply 58
Original post by cat_mac
It depends how bad the threat is. I understand the anger and the reasoning behind why people want the death penalty, I just don’t agree with it. I’d rather we invest in changing the prison system or early intervention, counter terrorism, working with young offenders. There are so many steps that I think we need to take before thinking about the death penalty.

Two different opinions then. What would you change about the prison system?
Reply 59

Justice isn't about what makes you happy its about what's right and killing someone isn't right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending