The Student Room Group

chemical engineering without a level physics ?

realistically could I get into chemical engineering at uni without a level physics? I'm taking the mechanics module in maths. I know that technically some unis don't ask for it but realistically would I get in? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonjoshelvey21
realistically could I get into chemical engineering at uni without a level physics? I'm taking the mechanics module in maths. I know that technically some unis don't ask for it but realistically would I get in? thanks

Yes.
Original post by Smack
Yes.

could u expand
could u expand

If they don't ask for it then you don't need it...
Original post by Student-95
If they don't ask for it then you don't need it...

but if some ask for it and some say u don't need it but it's advantageous
could u expand

If it's not a requirement then you can get in without it. If it says it is advantageous then it's just that - advantageous, but not a requirement.

The fact that you’re taking mechanics modules helps I know for example some places have no physics requirements if you are doing certain mechanics modules so it should be fine. Just check each Unis website and see whether they require it.
bump
bump

You got your answer.
If they don't say you need it then you don't need it.
If they say it's advantageous then it will give you an advantage but is not necessary.
You got your answer.
If they don't say you need it then you don't need it.
If they say it's advantageous then it will give you an advantage but is not necessary.

mate I'm trying to get some different opinions on the matter. seeing as most people applying have physics and further maths, even though technically I qualify that doesn't mean i can get in does it.
mate I'm trying to get some different opinions on the matter. seeing as most people applying have physics and further maths, even though technically I qualify that doesn't mean i can get in does it.

Mate, it's not an opinion... The unis aren't lying to you.
Reply 11

Universities don't have secret requirements, that would waste their time and the applicants time.

If you meet published entry requirements you are likely to get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Universities don't have secret requirements, that would waste their time and the applicants time.

If you meet published entry requirements you are likely to get offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doonesbury lad, just as an example take economics st Cambridge. on the course page they only require maths. but if you delve deeper into the faculty you will actually see that 90 percent of students have further maths and economics, as well as the maths stated on their site, hence it could be viewed tgat they do have "secret entry requirements" sonny jim
Doonesbury lad, just as an example take economics st Cambridge. on the course page they only require maths. but if you delve deeper into the faculty you will actually see that 90 percent of students have further maths and economics, as well as the maths stated on their site, hence it could be viewed tgat they do have "secret entry requirements" sonny jim

If it is a secret requirement then how did the other 10% get a place? :/

It's not a "secret requirement", there are no such things. In the case of cambridge, most people who apply for economics there, know that it is a course that is going to be more maths heavy than at other unis and thus they usually prefer the more maths side of economics, so more people take further maths, not because they have to, but because they prefer that. Basically what I'm trying to say is that more people apply with further maths therefore, more places are offered to people with f.maths, not because of a secret requirement.

And to answer your question for this thread, you got your answer from the previous poster
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14

Not a lad.

And it's clearly not a requirement if they accept students without it, which they do.

For example FM is often thought to be a requirement for Engineering at Cambridge, and yet about a third of students don't have it.

(Please treat people with respect. Thanks )

Edit, also you can apply to Cambridge via NatSci without Physics for ChemEng.
(edited 6 years ago)

Lol, your own example disagrees with you... If 90% have FM and eco then that means 10% don't, so in other works you don't NEED it and it's not a REQUIREMENT.

The stats will also be skewed by the fact that most people applying will be doing those subjects because even if the uni doesn't give you preferential treatment, they are useful subjects for that course (like how physics is useful for engineering so most prospective engineers will do physics regardless of requirements).
Lol, your own example disagrees with you... If 90% have FM and eco then that means 10% don't, so in other works you don't NEED it and it's not a REQUIREMENT.

The stats will also be skewed by the fact that most people applying will be doing those subjects because even if the uni doesn't give you preferential treatment, they are useful subjects for that course (like how physics is useful for engineering so most prospective engineers will do physics regardless of requirements).

sorry mate wasnt talking to you im afraid !

sorry mate but youre on a public forum so everyone can reply to you if they want to :smile:
Reply 18

You asked if you can realistically get into ChemEng without physics A-level. You've been told yes you can.

Now it's up to you.

If you are that worried do a foundation year.
Original post by SlashaRussia
sorry mate but youre on a public forum so everyone can reply to you if they want to :smile:

of course they can buddy bud but it's a bit like having a convosation with someone in public and some random person walking past and answering a question you just asked the other person. of course you might do that though:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest