The Student Room Group

Numeracy QTS Skills Tests

Hi everyone,

I had my QTS Skills Test for numeracy the other day. I currently have a conditional offer for a PGCE Primary qualification at The University of Manchester. One of the pre-requisites for securing the offer (as you may be aware) is passing the DfE QTS Numeracy Skills test.

I sat my numeracy test the other day (the literacy was fine) and I was really disappointed when I finished the test and collected my results. I scored 11 marks below the pass rate (63%) which came as a huge blow. I had been so busy with my exams at uni that I had sort of rushed through my maths revision and found the mental arithmetic section very difficult.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance for getting this numeracy test passed once and for all? I'm really stressed about it and I'm so passionate about primary school teaching that it would be an utter nightmare not to get onto my PGCE.

I've bought a numeracy skills test book, watched videos about calculations on YouTube and have managed to find a maths tutor (which has cost a fortune). I'm so eager to get this numeracy sorted!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chatty_george
Hi everyone,

I had my QTS Skills Test for numeracy the other day. I currently have a conditional offer for a PGCE Primary qualification at The University of Manchester. One of the pre-requisites for securing the offer (as you may be aware) is passing the DfE QTS Numeracy Skills test.

I sat my numeracy test the other day (the literacy was fine) and I was really disappointed when I finished the test and collected my results. I scored 11 marks below the pass rate (63%) which came as a huge blow. I had been so busy with my exams at uni that I had sort of rushed through my maths revision and found the mental arithmetic section very difficult.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance for getting this numeracy test passed once and for all? I'm really stressed about it and I'm so passionate about primary school teaching that it would be an utter nightmare not to get onto my PGCE.

I've bought a numeracy skills test book, watched videos about calculations on YouTube and have managed to find a maths tutor (which has cost a fortune). I'm so eager to get this numeracy sorted!

This is completely my opinion - but I think you don't need a maths tutor. I didn't need one. Tutors usually don't know all the tricks and shortcuts you need for the mental maths section. All you need an hour or so each evening and perseverance!

I highly recommend that you sign up to NumeracyReady (its only £20 for 20 tests!) and go through each one. Perfect each one and then move on to the next. It even has videos specifically made to help with the test. The videos actually show you some shortcuts and ways to remember calculations.

There are other services you can sign up to, like QTSMathsTutor, but I found that one to be really far off the real thing. NumeracyReady seemed very similar to what I took at the centre.

The book you mentioned is also a good tool and could be used to supplement your study (bedtime reading!).

Above all, the official DfE tests are the best thing to revise/prepare with. Just keep taking them again and again until you are CONSISTENTLY gaining 80-90% in each. There are 4 tests there and they are the most accurate representation of the real test.

Like I've said, you just need a lot of patience and some perseverance. The tests can be passed but you just need to work out the best way of preparing. I did the above and glad to say I passed on second attempt :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I know how you feel!.... I haven’t sat it yet, but I keep pushing it back further and further! I’m so worried I won’t pass it! I just don’t do well with the time pressure!
Original post by oOLaurenOo
I know how you feel!.... I haven’t sat it yet, but I keep pushing it back further and further! I’m so worried I won’t pass it! I just don’t do well with the time pressure!

Hiya Lauren!
I know it’s really stressing me out too. I wasn’t really well-prepared for the numeracy test the other day (hence why I didn’t do that well). It’s a real challenge trying to balance numeracy revision on top of uni work. My finals are in May/June and ideally I want to have the numeracy passed by then. When I had my interview at Edge Hill they reassured us that they would help with the numeracy QTS skills test. I wish Manchester had promised the same support too! I also feel like the pressure is on to get a 2:1 too. I spoke to a lecturer last semester who said I was likely to only get a 2:2 which has knocked my confidence slightly. However I’m so determined to prove this lecturer wrong! Just need to keep motivated and get this darn test passed once and for all! 😊
Focus on your degree. Don't worry about the skills test until June!

At my interview, the tutor told me that was the best way to go about things and it turned out to be really good advice. After completing my degree, I solidly prepared for the tests as I had lots of time. When I was preparing for the tests alongside my degree, it was a lot to take in!
Original post by computed
Focus on your degree. Don't worry about the skills test until June!

At my interview, the tutor told me that was the best way to go about things and it turned out to be really good advice. After completing my degree, I solidly prepared for the tests as I had lots of time. When I was preparing for the tests alongside my degree, it was a lot to take in!

That’s such useful advice Computed - thank you! I think there is an unnecessary pressure placed on teacher training candidates to smash the skills tests as early as possible. Having not studied Maths for almost 8 years since high school this isn’t an easy thing to accomplish. Once I get my degree sorted I will be spending each and every day on numeracy.
Cheers!
Reply 6
I am in a similar situation! I passed literacy last week and was so happy, I revised so much! I am dreading numeracy as I struggle with maths! I have the book and have been using YouTube to learn the ‘tricks of how to do the workings out etc! I’m stressing so much because I just want to pass
Reply 7
Hi everyone,

I passed today on my seond attempt. I failed the first by 1 mark . I had to practice practice practice. It took me 5 attempts to get a grade C at GCSE level !! I found G & A Numerical incredibly helpful I did the practice tests and they were harder than the real test. Also he has videos explaining everything also . I also worked hard to know my times tables quickly, I have always struggled with those.
Good Luck
I would say practice, practice and more practice- if you won't have time for this until June, then yes, put the tests off until then, You already have your offer, so there is no rush to take the test now. They are doable for anyone with a Maths GCSE but I agree your skills may be a little rusty.

For the mental arithmetic tests, I would say learning your times tables is key. This helps with so many questions beyond the obvious- for example anything where you have to convert a fraction. I would also make sure you know key facts such as what 1/3, 1/4 etc are as a percentage. Make sure you are clear on any of the terms used- initially I was confused by what they meant when they said "a proportion". If you missed any marks on the written section, I would really look at the graphs they use as well, make sure you are really clear on how to interpret them, as these are usually easy marks once you know what you're looking at.

There are some great videos on youtube which help with quick strategies for mental maths. You want to make the calculations as easy as possible, so ideas like working out 10%, then multiplying really help.

I hope this helps a bit!
Reply 9
Original post by Idea76
I passed today on my seond attempt. I failed the first by 1 mark . I had to practice practice practice. It took me 5 attempts to get a grade C at GCSE level !! I found G & A Numerical incredibly helpful I did the practice tests and they were harder than the real test. Also he has videos explaining everything also . I also worked hard to know my times tables quickly, I have always struggled with those.
Good Luck

Aw well done!!!! Well deserved
Reply 10
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I would say practice, practice and more practice- if you won't have time for this until June, then yes, put the tests off until then, You already have your offer, so there is no rush to take the test now. They are doable for anyone with a Maths GCSE but I agree your skills may be a little rusty.

For the mental arithmetic tests, I would say learning your times tables is key. This helps with so many questions beyond the obvious- for example anything where you have to convert a fraction. I would also make sure you know key facts such as what 1/3, 1/4 etc are as a percentage. Make sure you are clear on any of the terms used- initially I was confused by what they meant when they said "a proportion". If you missed any marks on the written section, I would really look at the graphs they use as well, make sure you are really clear on how to interpret them, as these are usually easy marks once you know what you're looking at.

There are some great videos on youtube which help with quick strategies for mental maths. You want to make the calculations as easy as possible, so ideas like working out 10%, then multiplying really help.

I hope this helps a bit!

Thankyou ! I am struggling so much literally keep getting 25% no where near the pass mark! My exam is in two weeks.
Original post by Amy6p
Thankyou ! I am struggling so much literally keep getting 25% no where near the pass mark! My exam is in two weeks.

If you're getting 25% overall, something must be going majorly wrong. The practice tests are available as question papers without a time limit. I would print one of these off, and work through it, then mark it. You may find you do better without the time pressure, which is good, as it shows you at least know the maths.

Otherwise, I would take the areas you're consistently getting wrong one by one and look at what you're struggling with. With a lot of the data questions, you just need to know some key facts- e.g. how a box and whisker diagram works. Make sure you're reading the questions carefully as well, as sometimes this can catch people out.

With the mental maths questions, I would focus on finding easy strategies- e.g. can you use dividing by 10, doubling, or halving to make a question easier? Look for numbers that are easy to multiply or divide by first. There are some great videos on youtube that help with this, too.

If there's a specific type of question you're really struggling with, give me a PM and I'll see if I can help too.
Reply 12
I am in the same boat... having left school 10 years ago I forget all about literacy and maths.. I’ve failed my literacy on first attempt but just received an email today explaining they are getting rid of the attempts! Which is a lot more motivating to know we can just keep trying! I am currently using G
Reply 13
Original post by Jenp123
I am in the same boat... having left school 10 years ago I forget all about literacy and maths.. I’ve failed my literacy on first attempt but just received an email today explaining they are getting rid of the attempts! Which is a lot more motivating to know we can just keep trying!
UGH this test is honestly the BAIN of my life at the moment. I'm revising every night when I get home from work, and taking regular practice tests via the QTS Maths Tutor website (though slightly panicked to read earlier in this thread they aren't like the actual tests...) and have my tests booked for Saturday.I know there's nothing I can do about it and I just have to get on with it, but it feels very frustrating to have to do them at all- I have 9 A*-B GCSEs (inc. maths and english), 3 A-B A-levels, a 2:1 in English, a masters degree, ten years relevant work experience and have passed a very rigorous interview that involved a literacy test, an essay and an observed lesson. I THINK I'M GOOD. The pressure of having to prepare for the numeracy exam in particular is messing with my mental health very much. I'm most concerned about the mental arithmatic section- it drives me mad that it doesn't feel like a skills test, it feels like a speed test.
Reply 15
Original post by katieB607
UGH this test is honestly the BAIN of my life at the moment. I'm revising every night when I get home from work, and taking regular practice tests via the QTS Maths Tutor website (though slightly panicked to read earlier in this thread they aren't like the actual tests...) and have my tests booked for Saturday.I know there's nothing I can do about it and I just have to get on with it, but it feels very frustrating to have to do them at all- I have 9 A*-B GCSEs (inc. maths and english), 3 A-B A-levels, a 2:1 in English, a masters degree, ten years relevant work experience and have passed a very rigorous interview that involved a literacy test, an essay and an observed lesson. I THINK I'M GOOD. The pressure of having to prepare for the numeracy exam in particular is messing with my mental health very much. I'm most concerned about the mental arithmatic section- it drives me mad that it doesn't feel like a skills test, it feels like a speed test.

I am in exactly the same situation as you! Except I still need my gcse maths and science which I am also doing. Stress isn’t the word, I have my nimeracy exam next week I’m revising so much but only get 32% it’s a night mare
Reply 16
I hope everyone has now realised they have lifted the ban on the amount of times you can do the test. A positive as it takes the pressure off a little bit but do remember you still need to pass!
Could anyone tell me if you are allowed some paper to make notes on for the mental arithmetic part of the test? Also I have booked both my maths and english professional skills tests for the same day, one at 12pm and one at 2pm, will I have enough time to complete one before beginning the other?
Thanks
Original post by elliott22
Could anyone tell me if you are allowed some paper to make notes on for the mental arithmetic part of the test? Also I have booked both my maths and english professional skills tests for the same day, one at 12pm and one at 2pm, will I have enough time to complete one before beginning the other?
Thanks

Yes and yes.
Original post by elliott22
Thanks

I was given a whiteboard and pen instead of paper, but the test center should provide something. 12pm and 2pm will be fine- you'll even have time to grab lunch in between :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending