The Student Room Group

Boy aged 17 killed in a series of stabbings taking place in Newham, East London!

Is it just me or does this happen every other day in Newham?
Article: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43069664

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene and was only 17 years old!
The stabbing was also premeditated. Someone went out of their way to end someone else's life!

So terrible and I really do not like what is on the news at this time of the year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
Is it just me or does this happen every other day in Newham?
Article: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43069664

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene and was only 17 years old!
The stabbing was also premeditated. Someone went out of their way to end someone else's life!

So terrible and I really do not like what is on the news at this time of the year.

There is a culture of gang violence in parts of London. It seemingly happens every day. Too many young lives lost. Hopefully we can both agree on that!
so far at least 14 people have died from this type of attack in London, its pissing me off over how frequently this happens, whats the way to stop it?
Original post by Juvilation
so far at least 14 people have died from this type of attack in London, its pissing me off over how frequently this happens, whats the way to stop it?

Stop and search? Education from a younger age?
Reported as a targeted and sustained attack. I may be wrong but I'd bet a shilling that (a) the crime was gang-related, (b) the victim was a gang member himself and (c) the victim was armed, probably with a knife.
Absolutely terrible.
Postcode wars need to end!
Also the gang culture!
I hate how it is considered "cool" to be part of a gang and just generally be ignorant in school.
I don't know why this boy was killed but how sad that he was around the wrong people!
Reply 7
Can't say I am the least bit surprised to be honest.

This is Canning Town we are talking about.
Original post by Volibear
Just this time of year?

Well today the headlines are;
Airport worker dies, inconsiderate passengers take to social media
Shooting at a Florida school
President of Israel (can't spell but netanyuhu?) is recommended by police to be indicted.
A boy was stabbed in London.

Nothing on the news I can be happy about, even though people die everyday this particular news trend has got me feeling sour and particularly dire.
Original post by Andrew97
Stop and search? Education from a younger age?

Stop and search is controversial because police officers may target a specific group of people due to a stereotype.
I'm not saying that this is true but a police officer is more likely to target an ethnic minority male wearing a tracksuit in Newham.
E.g :
Stop and search is controversial because police officers may target a specific group of people due to a stereotype.
I'm not saying that this is true but a police officer is more likely to target an ethnic minority male wearing a tracksuit in Newham.
E.g :

And an ethnic minority male wearing a tracksuit is more likely to have a knife than a white male wearing a suit.
The social issues in Newham isn’t news.
Original post by Good bloke
Reported as a targeted and sustained attack. I may be wrong but I'd bet a shilling that (a) the crime was gang-related, (b) the victim was a gang member himself and (c) the victim was armed, probably with a knife.

The saying is: Those who live by a knife die by it;

If he was indeed a gang member then how do we stop other individuals from being part of or idolizing the gang culture?
I go to a school in Newham where a boy was stabbed in the head outside our school gates, another boy was shot about a 2 minute walk from our school and there are reported acid attacks in forest gate.
Furthermore! Individuals such as Alpay B, VanBanter, Imjustbait and ItzArya give those cultures a platform to flourish.
Westfield, which should have brought economic development to Newham is now a "no-go" zone for tourists due to the amount of kids that go there or choose that place as a venue for stabbings, fights and so-forth.
Just 1 week ago, I had to walk from Stratford to school because someone was shot to death outside stratford bus station and the victim was a teenager.
So yeah! I agree with you! I just don't know how it will get resolved when the gang culture is idolized here in Newham.
Proof: [video="youtube;YUDKdbxP-HM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDKdbxP-HM[/video]
E.g :

I agree with you that stop and search is controversial and there may be a case to what you are saying (I don’t have the statistics either way) but I would point out that the majority of stabbings in London that we here about are from an ethnic minority background (im happy to be proved wrong on this) and thus it stands to reason doesn’t it to aim the prevention strategy at this demographic.

I’m not saying that the police just stop random people, there has to be some evidence for them being stopped.
There is a pattern I am noticing with these stabbings in London but don't want to say it as I don't want to get banned for "racism"
Increase stop and search for people wearing a pouch with adidas and nike clothes and that speak with a roadman dialect
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Postcode wars need to end!
Also the gang culture!
I hate how it is considered "cool" to be part of a gang and just generally be ignorant in school.
I don't know why this boy was killed but how sad that he was around the wrong people!

To be fair most people are groomed into gang culture of a young age 12-13, they think its cool. They then start missing school etc and don't learn anything. Schools, or at least mine, didn't talk about gangs and why not to get involved etc.
Original post by The RAR
There is a pattern I am noticing with these stabbings in London but don't want to say it as I don't want to get banned for "racism"

Racism is discrimination not pointing out facts.

The majority of stabbings in London are orchestrated by black youths in gangs over something so minuscule. Usually shoes.
Westfield, which should have brought economic development to Newham is now a "no-go" zone for tourists due to the amount of kids that go there or choose that place as a venue for stabbings, fights and so-forth.

I call ******** - Stratford is one of the safer areas of Newham and Westfield has been thriving since it was opened. There’s still crime and it shares many of its social issues with the rest of Newham but calling it a “no-go zone” is inaccurate.
Racism is discrimination not pointing out facts.

The majority of stabbings in London are orchestrated by black youths in gangs over something so minuscule. Usually shoes.

Yes that is what I wanted to say!

There is a big difference between stereotyping and targeting groups because they are known to be highly likely to be carrying a weapon.

Are you suggesting that zimmer-frame using and senile old Chinese people people on the streets of Canning Town should be stopped and searched in the quest to keep the streets safe so as not to offend the racial sensibilities of the predominantly young and black gang members?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending