The Student Room Group

Living with grandaparents

When applying for student finance, what should I put down as my main reason for not living with my parents if I live with my grandparents? Also, as I am not financially dependent on my parents, how can I put in my grandparents details for household income when I'm applying for a maintenance loan?
Original post by Sheppiro
When applying for student finance, what should I put down as my main reason for not living with my parents if I live with my grandparents? Also, as I am not financially dependent on my parents, how can I put in my grandparents details for household income when I'm applying for a maintenance loan?

Hi Sheppiro,

If you're under 25 on the first day of first academic year, we will request financial details from your parents. However, you can be classed as an independent student if you meet any of the following criteria. If you do meet any of that criteria, you would send evidence to show this once you've applied and if accepted, you'd be classed as an independent student.

We wouldn't actually ask for your grandparents financial details, if you're accepted as an independent student, your finance will be based on your details only.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 2
Original post by John B SFE
Hi Sheppiro,

If you're under 25 on the first day of first academic year, we will request financial details from your parents. However, you can be classed as an independent student if you meet any of the following criteria. If you do meet any of that criteria, you would send evidence to show this once you've applied and if accepted, you'd be classed as an independent student.

We wouldn't actually ask for your grandparents financial details, if you're accepted as an independent student, your finance will be based on your details only.

Kind regards,

John.

What evidence would I need to prove that my grandparents are my legal guardians? Would a letter from my grandmother be sufficient?

Thanks,

Sheppiro
What evidence would I need to prove that my grandparents are my legal guardians? Would a letter from my grandmother be sufficient?

Thanks,

Sheppiro

Hi Sheppiro,

If your grandparents are your legal guardians they will have a legal document stating that.

If you have a legal guardian, you could be classed as an Independent student. Proof of your Legal Guardianship alone will not be sufficient, but will add substantial weight to your Independence claim.

You can send us;

A Court Order or confirmation from the Local Authority/Social Services confirming you are a Care Leaver
and

A letter OR an Estrangement Declaration Form, signed and dated by an Independent person with good standing in the community confirming that you are currently estranged from your parents

The reason we ask for this additional evidence is that Legal Guardianship orders confirm that in the past you have been designated a legal guardian, but does not confirm your current circumstances/relationship with your biological parents.

We do not require legal guardians or other family members to supply their financial details in support of your application, as if you can prove you are estranged from your parents we will grant you independent status.Regards Rona
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Sheppiro,

If your grandparents are your legal guardians they will have a legal document stating that.

If you have a legal guardian, you could be classed as an Independent student. Proof of your Legal Guardianship alone will not be sufficient, but will add substantial weight to your Independence claim.

You can send us;

A Court Order or confirmation from the Local Authority/Social Services confirming you are a Care Leaver
and

A letter OR an Estrangement Declaration Form, signed and dated by an Independent person with good standing in the community confirming that you are currently estranged from your parents

The reason we ask for this additional evidence is that Legal Guardianship orders confirm that in the past you have been designated a legal guardian, but does not confirm your current circumstances/relationship with your biological parents.

We do not require legal guardians or other family members to supply their financial details in support of your application, as if you can prove you are estranged from your parents we will grant you independent status.Regards Rona

Thank you Rona,

I don't necessarily want to be classed as independent. I just want to know how I can say that my grandparents are my legal guardians, but at the same time I'm not estranged from my parents. I have a healthy and communicative relationship with them so this is why I'm frustrated about the requirement of having to fill in the declaration of estrangement form/ or have a letter written by someone to confirm I am estranged. Surely, just because I live with my legal guardians, it doesn't mean I have to be estranged from my parents? I've been living with my grandparents for the past 18 months now, and that was my choice.
Thank you Rona,

I don't necessarily want to be classed as independent. I just want to know how I can say that my grandparents are my legal guardians, but at the same time I'm not estranged from my parents. I have a healthy and communicative relationship with them so this is why I'm frustrated about the requirement of having to fill in the declaration of estrangement form/ or have a letter written by someone to confirm I am estranged. Surely, just because I live with my legal guardians, it doesn't mean I have to be estranged from my parents? I've been living with my grandparents for the past 18 months now, and that was my choice.

Hi Sheppiro,

If your legal guardians are your grandparents, then will need evidence to show this(see above) as we will not ask for their financial details, If you have no evidence to show that they are your legal guardians then we will still require your parents financial details as you are not estranged from them even if you are not living with them they are still classed as your legal guardians.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 6
Okay, thank you so much Catherine. This has cleared up so many things.

So my mum is still my legal guardian even though I don't live with her?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending