The Student Room Group

University applications after Brexit

Currently I'm in Year 11 but with Brexit coming soon I've been concerned about my future education in the UK , I moved to the UK (England to be precise) when I was 10 years old and I lived here ever since. I know that I'm thinking way ahead of time and my interests may change but I am keen on going to Uni in either Northern Ireland , Scotland or Wales purely because during my time in the UK I've seen only the Southern part never moved or visited the North furthest I've been is Birmingham and I live in Cambridge , now you got some background my question is will I be able to go to University in one the countries that I mentioned without any problems or will I have to get British citizenship to continue my studies in the UK?
Original post by Butkiewicz.K
Currently I'm in Year 11 but with Brexit coming soon I've been concerned about my future education in the UK , I moved to the UK (England to be precise) when I was 10 years old and I lived here ever since. I know that I'm thinking way ahead of time and my interests may change but I am keen on going to Uni in either Northern Ireland , Scotland or Wales purely because during my time in the UK I've seen only the Southern part never moved or visited the North furthest I've been is Birmingham and I live in Cambridge , now you got some background my question is will I be able to go to University in one the countries that I mentioned without any problems or will I have to get British citizenship to continue my studies in the UK?

Not sure this is a 'health' query, you are posting in the Health forum.

To answer your question is difficult without knowing more - do you have dual citizenship? Are you a British citizen? Are either of your parents British citizens?
You'll almost certainly have no issues studying wherever you want, although very little about the post-Brexit future has been agreed yet.

If you haven't been to many places in the UK why not go visit beforehand? Uni open days or just go for a weekend away.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not sure this is a 'health' query, you are posting in the Health forum.

To answer your question is difficult without knowing more - do you have dual citizenship? Are you a British citizen? Are either of your parents British citizens?

For some season my thread got moved I just got notification sorry about that and no either of my parents are British but someone told me that you can apply for one if you lived in the uk for 5 years , I only have Polish passport
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Butkiewicz.K
For some season my thread got moved I just got notification sorry about that and no either of my parents are British but someone told me that you can apply for one if you lived in the uk for 5 years , I only have Polish passport

OK, so as a current EU citizen, there are things like Erasmus, but as someone raised here and living in the UK, your application is probably just straightforward. Starting a course in a couple of year's time might have different rules, depending on the way Brexit has worked out, so you should read about it and see what happens as time goes on. At the moment, a 2-year transition period with the same rules as currently is proposed up to March 2021. Assuming you are currently 15, that will mean it will be coming to an end when you would be accepted into a university place.

You can only be naturalised as a British citizen if you are over 18. It isn't yet clear if EU citizens who have lived in the UK for quite a while, or their children, will have an automatic right to stay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending