The Student Room Group

Reports of a shooting in a Florida school

Scroll to see replies

School shootings are repulsive.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Mental illness is definitely a factor, but it's not the only one and I don't agree with every white school shooter being labelled with one. There are (probably) hundreds of thousands of kids in America who have both mental illness and access to guns and by far the large majority of them would never use it in a mass shooting. Same for bullying.

Why did you assume there's a mental illness involved?
Is it because the perpetrator is white?
This is so sad :frown:
Original post by livxwaterman

Because reports have stated that the shooter suffered from mental illness and had sought treatment in the past but that's exactly my point. As soon as something like this happens the media assume:

White shooter = must be suffering from mental illness or have tragic family life

POC shooter = terrorist, thug or racist
Original post by bones-mccoy
Because reports have stated that the shooter suffered from mental illness and had sought treatment in the past but that's exactly my point. As soon as something like this happens the media assume:

White shooter = must be suffering from mental illness or have tragic family life

POC shooter = terrorist, thug or racist

OMG thankyou!
Someone who understands!
mad politicians with mad people still in american history..............

what else lol
they should put more money more public health mental care...........not weapons.........
Reply 70
The media coverage was ****ing pathetic. How was it okay for them to ask the hostages if it was scary, to then ask how scary? These children have literally just been through a traumatic experience and they're asking them to relive them - news outlets really are savages. I also don't condone naming the killer either, it's exactly what these kind of people aim for. If we gave them minimum coverage, covered their photo and prevented them from being publicised then I'm sure we'd see much less shootings.

It really is upsetting to see these kinds of events unfold, especially on twitter where many students (who were still inside at the time) were posting videos of them inside the classroom whilst shots were going on - it's terrifying.

What's worse is we'll all move on in a few weeks and forget about it and the cycle will continue, they really should have learned after Sandy Hook.
(edited 6 years ago)

He was a very disturbed kid; his social media profiles (now removed) displayed pictures of him wielding firearms and knives. Kids in the school also said, I quote "He seemed like the kind of kid who would do something like this" and "Everyone predicted it".
I cannot believe America still has harder any gun laws in place after all this time. 18th school shooting and it's only mid February.
Original post by IWMTom

Sad but true
Original post by BTAnonymous
He was a very disturbed kid; his social media profiles (now removed) displayed pictures of him wielding firearms and knives. Kids in the school also said, I quote "He seemed like the kind of kid who would do something like this" and "Everyone predicted it".

There are loads of people around with disturbed personality issues. In most countries, they can't walk into a store or a gun fair and buy a military assault rifle and 5000 rounds of ammunition for it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There are loads of people around with disturbed personality issues. In most countries, they can't walk into a store or a gun fair and buy a military assault rifle and 5000 rounds of ammunition for it.

yeah I was just arguing what OP said. Ofc they should ban firearms and they should've a long time ago.
An interesting thread: https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/964187511017869316 Wouldn't be surprised of the gunman was radicalised by sites like Infowars.

@joecphillips I seem to remember you reading Infowars, thoughts?
Reply 77
Original post by Snufkin
An interesting thread: https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/964187511017869316 Wouldn't be surprised of the gunman was radicalised by sites like Infowars.

I never read infowars, you just assume anyone who disagrees with your ridiculous position reads it.
Original post by Snufkin

C’mon Infowars is certainly not that extreme. It’s not a site that would openly promote radical views or push someone to do this.
I’m not a huge fan of it, but you have to be something else to honestly believe he can be radicalised by such a news outlet...
Perhaps you need to be a bit more down to earth ...
Original post by joecphillips
I never read infowars, you just assume anyone who disagrees with your ridiculous position reads it.

Well, I know you read it - I've seen you say so on TSR and elsewhere. But whatever, I don't want to argue with you, I was just interested in your opinion on the thread.

Original post by joecphillips
I don't watch infowars regularly when I do it is to laugh at them, but do you believe the media aren't biased?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending