The Student Room Group

HELP!! Scratched and dented my new car!!

Hi guys,

I’ve just scratched and dented my new car (Polo 17 reg) and am so annoyed by it. It’s on the driver’s side but on the back door, I’ve no idea if it has been scratched down to the raw metal???

Need some advise on what to do temporarily, the cost to repair and any general advise you may have for me.

Would really appreciate the help!!!

(no other photos will add, sorry for the crap quality!!)

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Needless to say, don't claim - but it's impossible for us to tell you anything without any pictures...

At the moment I have to give you the lazy answer of "take it to a body shop"
Reply 2
Original post by uselessmeg
Hi guys,

I’ve just scratched and dented my new car (Polo 17 reg) and am so annoyed by it. It’s on the driver’s side but on the back door, I’ve no idea if it has been scratched down to the raw metal.

Need some advise on what to do temporarily, the cost to repair and any general advise you may have for me.

Would really appreciate the help!!!

Picture the scene - 16 hours after picking up my new Golf, flat tyre, need to back in onto the driveway to use my jack, misjudge the width of the car and scrape the passenger door against a brick pillar. What a moron I am!

I was in the same position as you, and had about half an inch square of paint missing as well as a bit of a dent. I put a little bit of rust proof primer on and got a colour matched paint kit online to cover it up a bit - originally intended to be a temporary repair but it blended pretty well that I no longer notice it.

If it is down to the metal, I believe the recommendation is to put some clear nail polish on the scratch until you can take it to a bodyshop.
Look up a bodywork repair service near you. Could cost a few hundred, but often they're able to fully restore
Reply 4
Original post by nevershear
Needless to say, don't claim - but it's impossible for us to tell you anything without any pictures...

At the moment I have to give you the lazy answer of "take it to a body shop"

Thank you, I will probably have to get it professionally done. Just added photos if you could give anymore advice at all??
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Picture the scene - 16 hours after picking up my new Golf, flat tyre, need to back in onto the driveway to use my jack, misjudge the width of the car and scrape the passenger door against a brick pillar. What a moron I am!

I was in the same position as you, and had about half an inch square of paint missing as well as a bit of a dent. I put a little bit of rust proof primer on and got a colour matched paint kit online to cover it up a bit - originally intended to be a temporary repair but it blended pretty well that I no longer notice it.

If it is down to the metal, I believe the recommendation is to put some clear nail polish on the scratch until you can take it to a bodyshop.

Oh god, sounds pretty much like the same situation i was in when i damaged mine! I'll have to go and get a quote somewhere this weekend.

Will nail polish be okay for it? I'd hate to damage the car even more!!
Reply 6
Oh god, sounds pretty much like the same situation i was in when i damaged mine! I'll have to go and get a quote somewhere this weekend.

Will nail polish be okay for it? I'd hate to damage the car even more!!

I believe it's used to stop rust forming if it has gone down to the metal, it's just like your clear coat.
I'd probably give a mobile paint guy place a call and see what they quote. Your cheapest repair option would be to get some touch up paint, but you probably won't get a great finish.

As for nail varnish, I wouldn't. It's going to push up the cost of repair because the varnish has to be removed before the repair can be done, and that may cause damage as well. If you're worried about rust forming a quick spray of WD40 or similar will give temporary protection (and can be wiped away with a little degreaser). In a pinch you could even use a little engine oil - check your oil level and wipe the oily rag over the scratch.
Thank you, I will probably have to get it professionally done. Just added photos if you could give anymore advice at all??

I'm getting an "attachment not found" error mate, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest