The Student Room Group

Uni of Liverpool vs Uni of Leeds

Hi,I'm applying to do a joint honours degree of History and Politics, and have narrowed down my choices to either Uni of Leeds or Uni of Liverpool. Can anyone from either Uni recommend it/why? I really cant make my mind up!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
😂! 3 A's for Leeds. I had a look at York, LJMU and Edge Hill.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I know that Leeds does better in the league tables etc, but I don't really know it well enough to comment on it as a city? I'm much more familiar with L'pool and get a nice vibe from there, whereas I hardly know Leeds!
Reply 3
Liverpool is no more dangerous than anywhere else :laugh:
Reply 4
Thanks for your response 👍 Have you lived in either city/know people that have lived as a student at either Uni?
Original post by Mbrady99
Hi,I'm applying to do a joint honours degree of History and Politics, and have narrowed down my choices to either Uni of Leeds or Uni of Liverpool. Can anyone from either Uni recommend it/why? I really cant make my mind up!

Which course do you prefer? There are bound to be differences, especially in the second and third years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
I was a student at Uni of Leeds and I can honestly say those were the best 3 years of my life!
Leeds is such a vibrant city, full of things to do! Best of all it's safe! :biggrin:
The uni itself is fantastic! The tutors are at the top of their field and the student union has been voted the best in the country!
I'm going to Liverpool to do my post grad in September, and after looking around and getting to know the uni better I have a feeling it won't be nearly as good as Leeds. The only reason I'm not going back to Leeds is because I couldn't get the grades to go on to their post grad programme.
So, in opinion... Leeds all the way! :biggrin:

They're both great cities. I prefer Liverpool overall but I've spent more time there so obviously biased. For nightlife I'd say Leeds is marginally better. Liverpool is great for pubs, bars and mainstream clubs like baa bar etc but for a more varied nightlife I prefer Leeds (canal mills, beaver works, wire, hifii). Liverpool has similar places but not as good.
Really there's not much between them, I can pretty much guarantee you'd have a great time at either one. It's more down to who you meet in freshers.
Go for whichever course you prefer and whichever city you feel more comfortable in and can see yourself living in. I do like Leeds but when I went to the open day it didn't feel quite right. Partially probably because of that Roger Stevens building. That said, I have a lot of friends who went to Leeds and loved it. (But also know a lot of people at Liverpool also loving it).
Really any uni will be great once you actually start living there. Probably wasn't helpful advice at all but just go with your gut, don't try and convince yourself that you like somewhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lara5
I was a student at Uni of Leeds and I can honestly say those were the best 3 years of my life!
Leeds is such a vibrant city, full of things to do! Best of all it's safe! :biggrin:
The uni itself is fantastic! The tutors are at the top of their field and the student union has been voted the best in the country!
I'm going to Liverpool to do my post grad in September, and after looking around and getting to know the uni better I have a feeling it won't be nearly as good as Leeds. The only reason I'm not going back to Leeds is because I couldn't get the grades to go on to their post grad programme.
So, in opinion... Leeds all the way! :biggrin:

Thanks for your response! If you don't mind me asking, which accommodation did you stay in at Leeds? I'm thinking of either Central Village or Cityside? Is there anywhere in particular that you'd recommend? And also, a few people that I know from Uni of Leeds have commented on how there is a proportion of upper-class, privately educated students there and as a northern lass from Lancashire, I don't want to be the odd one out! Would you say that you found this to be the case or not?
Reply 9
Original post by showaeski
They're both great cities. I prefer Liverpool overall but I've spent more time there so obviously biased. For nightlife I'd say Leeds is marginally better. Liverpool is great for pubs, bars and mainstream clubs like baa bar etc but for a more varied nightlife I prefer Leeds (canal mills, beaver works, wire, hifii). Liverpool has similar places but not as good.
Really there's not much between them, I can pretty much guarantee you'd have a great time at either one. It's more down to who you meet in freshers.
Go for whichever course you prefer and whichever city you feel more comfortable in and can see yourself living in. I do like Leeds but when I went to the open day it didn't feel quite right. Partially probably because of that Roger Stevens building. That said, I have a lot of friends who went to Leeds and loved it. (But also know a lot of people at Liverpool also loving it).
Really any uni will be great once you actually start living there. Probably wasn't helpful advice at all but just go with your gut, don't try and convince yourself that you like somewhere.

Thanks for your advice! I agree with you that it's important to go with your gut instinct - it's just a very big decision for the most indecisive person ever 😂 I've heard before that the nightlife in Leeds is a bit better than L'pool, so I guess that's something else to consider. I'm more of a live music/bar/pub kind of girl myself, so I dunno if the whole clubbing scene will bother me that much. Nevertheless, it's handy to hear someone else's opinion
Reply 10
Thanks for your advice! I agree with you that it's important to go with your gut instinct - it's just a very big decision for the most indecisive person ever 😂 I've heard before that the nightlife in Leeds is a bit better than L'pool, so I guess that's something else to consider. I'm more of a live music/bar/pub kind of girl myself, so I dunno if the whole clubbing scene will bother me that much. Nevertheless, it's handy to hear someone else's opinion

Live music is everywhere in Liverpool (and more again if you jump a train to nearby towns like St Helens). I have only been to Leeds to see touring bands recently so can't say in detail what their local scene is like these days. I do know it is nothing on what it was back in 2005, but that's just me showing my age :laugh:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for your response! If you don't mind me asking, which accommodation did you stay in at Leeds? I'm thinking of either Central Village or Cityside? Is there anywhere in particular that you'd recommend? And also, a few people that I know from Uni of Leeds have commented on how there is a proportion of upper-class, privately educated students there and as a northern lass from Lancashire, I don't want to be the odd one out! Would you say that you found this to be the case or not?

I lived in Central Village in my second year and I have to say it was the best accommodation I've ever lived at! It's really hard to get a place there though, because everyone wants a room in CV, so you'd have to apply early for that one.
Re upper-class students... I'm not sure what the other departments are like, but at least the Psychology students (all 200 of us in my year group) were far from being posh. I mean, you do meet the odd snob once in a while but it's rare. Most of my friends were either northern or international :smile:
Hope this helps!
Reply 12
I really liked the look of CV too, I haven't applied for accommodation yet because on the Open day, we we were told that preferences weren't allocated on a 'first come first served basis'? But would you still recommend trying to get my application in early?
Reply 13
I really liked the look of CV too, I haven't applied for accommodation yet because on the Open day, we we were told that preferences weren't allocated on a 'first come first served basis'? But would you still recommend trying to get my application in early?

Definitely! Get your application in as soon as you can! I waited for the open day when I was applying and missed out on CV in my first year. (I was still placed in an accommodation on campus, but it was just an old house. Not nearly as nice as CV!) Then I applied again in second year and got in :smile:
It's very competitive. Everyone wants to live in Central Village!
Reply 14
Original post by Lara5
Definitely! Get your application in as soon as you can! I waited for the open day when I was applying and missed out on CV in my first year. (I was still placed in an accommodation on campus, but it was just an old house. Not nearly as nice as CV!) Then I applied again in second year and got in :smile:
It's very competitive. Everyone wants to live in Central Village!

Wow so it must be pretty popular then! On the Open day though, we were told that accommodation isnt allocated on a first come first served basis, but are you staying that this isn't so? And which accommodation were you put in for your first year? I've also read some reviews about CV being the most unsociable about all of the halls? Would you say that this is true from your own experience?

Quick Reply

Latest