The Student Room Group

Feminists for free speech?

Here we see feminists arguing for free speech. A rare occurrence.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/26/transgender-anarchist-book-fair-transphobia-row

The contents of the leaflets are not simply a ‘perspective’ or a ‘viewpoint’ but are a form of ignorance, violence and aggression directed specifically at trans women,”

What BS. Words are not violence, no matter how hurtful they may be. I read the leaflets. At no point does it say that trans women are bad. It speaks against the reformation of the gender recognition act. Which is something I don't support. But they were arguing from a feminist perspective, so...

The [feminist] movement, other progressive movements, the parties, the anarchists are moving on, though, and there will just be people who will be left behind. It’s not possible to hold on to how things were in the past, and there will not be room for you in the progressive movements.

The thing is is that this comment is a perfect description of identity politics!

Choosing whether one is a man or a woman is a matter of self-identification, trans activists assert.

Then trans activists are delusional.

What are your thoughts on this issue. I don't support what these feminists had to say about patriarchy, but I do support their right to say it. They're currently fighting for free speech. We can't tolerate this kind of censorship. And this time it isn't coming from feminism. Get out your popcorn.
Putting aside the issue of who was right or wrong in this situation, I'm not sure it's accurate to say it's censorship - it seemed to me they were objecting to the book fair associating with the leaflets, as appose to trying to stop their circulation in their entirety. I may have misinterpreted, however.
Original post by shadowdweller
Putting aside the issue of who was right or wrong in this situation, I'm not sure it's accurate to say it's censorship - it seemed to me they were objecting to the book fair associating with the leaflets, as appose to trying to stop their circulation in their entirety. I may have misinterpreted, however.

I think it is less of that issue, but that feminists are fighting for their free speech. However, I would say that the anarchist bookfair retain a brave stance on freedom of speech.

Quick Reply

Latest