The Student Room Group

Credit card at uni?

Hi! I'm currently in sixth form and have started to look into uni and student finance and I'm just curious whether it'd be wise to get a credit card for day-to-day stuff while at uni? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 👍
Original post by JoshiR
Hi! I'm currently in sixth form and have started to look into uni and student finance and I'm just curious whether it'd be wise to get a credit card for day-to-day stuff while at uni? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 👍

I do have a credit card for food shopping only. This is so I can build up some credit history. I have a direct debit coming out every single month paying the card off IN FULL so I don't accrue any interest charges.

Then again, you shouldn't need to rely on a credit card as banks such as Santander offer generous overdrafts (£1,500 straight away for a first-year).

If you are INCREDIBLY DISCIPLINED when it comes to spending, then a credit card will do you no harm.
Original post by Blue_Cow
I do have a credit card for food shopping only. This is so I can build up some credit history. I have a direct debit coming out every single month paying the card off IN FULL so I don't accrue any interest charges.

Then again, you shouldn't need to rely on a credit card as banks such as Santander offer generous overdrafts (£1,500 straight away for a first-year).

If you are INCREDIBLY DISCIPLINED when it comes to spending, then a credit card will do you no harm.

Thanks for the advice! Cleared it up quite a lot for me 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending