The Student Room Group

Is the death penalty neccessary?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TomW624
First of all I don't agree with the death penalty.

Now i have a question, everyone is talking about the scum of the earth and those who are truly horrible that do rightly deserve to be punished as candidates for the death penalty. What if it was some high level exec? What if he had been embezzling or been fraudulent and this led to people in the lower classes becoming impoverished, addicted to drugs or even children dying from malnutrition, what if there was a direct link made between this persons high level fraud and the deaths of children but he had not intended this, so its more akin to manslaughter, he had just been selfish but had shown no homicidal intent. I suppose instead of life imprisonment and removal of assets most of you in the pro camp would be ready to lynch him in an instant? This is also raises the question of should the death penalty be applied for manslaughter? and if so how do we decided when because if its a blanket penalty then manslaughter would no longer be a thing really.

I understand your point, if there was no intention of murder and it was not premeditated - then no I personally don't think they should have the death penalty, but should certainly serve their time.
Reply 81
Original post by Lit teacher
There's lots of evidence if you care to look:
The death penalty does not work as a deterrent (The US states with the death penalty have higher homicide rates on average than those without)
The death penalty costs more than life imprisonment (Lower likelihood of a guilty plea, cost of retrials and appeals, more than 10 year wait on death row etc)
The death penalty in the US at least is not applied equally. Those most likely to be sentenced to death are the poor (who are often black).
The death penalty gives no chance of undoing a wrongful conviction. Look up the 'Birmingham Six' or 'Stefan Kiszko'. All were found guilty and would have received the death penalty if it had been in place in the UK. All were later proved beyond any doubt to have been innocent.
The death penalty devalues human life.
The number of executions in America is steadily falling.

Sure there are reasons against the death penalty but there are also reasons for it. Such as the fact that countries with the death penalty have less crime than those without it
Reply 82
Original post by Heidi_16
Sure there are reasons against the death penalty but there are also reasons for it. Such as the fact that countries with the death penalty have less crime than those without it

The fact I've been trying to hammer home for about 90% of the time I have been commenting

The dealth penalty is NOT a deterrent.

If you take states in the us which do have the death penalty and those that do not have the death penalty. The states with the death penalty have statistically been shown every year since 1990 up to the most recent count in 2016 to have a higher murder rate

There has never been any statistical evidence to suggest that the death penalty leads to a lower crime rate

The death penalty is NOT a deterrent

Thank you
Original post by Heidi_16

I don't think that countries with the death penalty do have less crime. The murder rate in the USA is five times that of the UK. There may be different reasons for this, but it's difficult to say that the death penalty is a deterrent in that situation. America also has the largest prison population per capita of any country.
Other countries that regularly execute criminals include China, which has organised mass executions for crimes which can include robbery, and trials that sometimes last for less than one day. Saudi Arabia also uses the death penalty, but this can be for non-violent offences such as adultery or 'treason', including protesting against the government. They have sentenced teenagers to death for protesting on the street.
Countries with very low crime rates include Japan and Indonesia which have the death penalty, and Austria, Norway and the Netherlands which don't.
The death penalty has proven to be an ineffective deterrent so I don't think it's needed.
Original post by Notoriety
In the US, the accused go through very expensive trials, appeals and re-appeals. All these things cost money. Then the condemned are put into solitary confinement, which is very expensive also. Further, the length the condemned is incarcerated is usually many decades and their period of incarceration is usually not that far off their life span. The time you take their life to when they would have died anyway is not that far off -- not far enough off to make up for the cost of trial and appeals, and solitary confinement.

As for the punishment, would you be able to even witness the execution? Do you think it is a bit bizarre you're calling for people to be killed in your name, when you don't even have the stomach to see it carried out? People on death row are not that much different to the people in the general prison population: they are typically dirt-poor people with MH issues and no support network. Do they deserve the ultimate retribution?

I would more than easily sit there and watch a scumbag get removed from society, I could easily stomach it. That basterd did something incredibly wrong that society has and completely rightly so rejected them for; hell, give me the leaver I'll pull it myself. People can easily say "oh but the point of the justice system is to reintegrate" ********. complete ******** at this level of crime. If you have killed someone, held someone captive and abused and raped them for many years or committed some other atrocity. Society will never accept you back, what kind of employer is going to employ someone like that? People with minor offences such as robbery can't get a job; so how the hell is someone who has murdered someone going to be able to? Also you would want that person to be out on the streets? Where your kids and friends and family members are? F*ck no. They are a piece of **** and should be removed from this planet. Period, and I would more than happily pull the leaver myself every single time if it meant society would benefit from it. Someone like that isn't even worth the oxygen they breathe.
Original post by CrazyPantha27
I would more than easily sit there and watch a scumbag get removed from society, I could easily stomach it. That basterd did something incredibly wrong that society has and completely rightly so rejected them for; hell, give me the leaver I'll pull it myself. People can easily say "oh but the point of the justice system is to reintegrate" ********. complete ******** at this level of crime. If you have killed someone, held someone captive and abused and raped them for many years or committed some other atrocity. Society will never accept you back, what kind of employer is going to employ someone like that? People with minor offences such as robbery can't get a job; so how the hell is someone who has murdered someone going to be able to? Also you would want that person to be out on the streets? Where your kids and friends and family members are? F*ck no. They are a piece of **** and should be removed from this planet. Period, and I would more than happily pull the leaver myself every single time if it meant society would benefit from it. Someone like that isn't even worth the oxygen they breathe.

I don't think when someone has committed the crimes you speak of there is any real possibility that they will re-enter society. In reality, the goal of imprisonment in those cases is to prevent them from committing further offences, rather than rehabilitation or punishment.

The state determining to kill one of its citizens is a very ugly thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending