The Student Room Group

Revision cards

I've been printing out revision cards such as ones from here and Collins as I feel it's a quicker way to gather the information needed and allows me to actually start revising quicker. However, my mum is getting very angry with this saying that I should be writing them all out myself as it allows it to go in. I get why but I'm still rewriting things out just in my notepads to learn and these cards are more for quick revision or checking I basically understanding and know what I have been learning. So I was just wondering am I doing the wrong thing by not writing them all out or is it fine as long as I obviously keep practicing separately?
Original post by hms_
I've been printing out revision cards such as ones from here and Collins as I feel it's a quicker way to gather the information needed and allows me to actually start revising quicker. However, my mum is getting very angry with this saying that I should be writing them all out myself as it allows it to go in. I get why but I'm still rewriting things out just in my notepads to learn and these cards are more for quick revision or checking I basically understanding and know what I have been learning. So I was just wondering am I doing the wrong thing by not writing them all out or is it fine as long as I obviously keep practicing separately?

Well personally for me it sticks much better into my head if I write out notes and quotations myself, but it all depends on what sort of learner you are, at the end of the day everyone's different. So stick to what you feel is most efficient for you!
You're doing it right doing it like this! Writing out notes feels productiive to lots of people, but it actually barely engages your brain (which is why it can be an easy revision option that many choose to do). This means that the act of writing doesn't help a huge amount of it stick. It is much more useful to read through and then start testing yourself. With testing, you can see the parts that you understand less / struggle to remember, and hone in on this.
Of course, this isn't true for everyone and I'm not saying that note-making is a waste of time. But if you feel like you don't need to, don't force yourself as it will make your revision less effective!

Do you use testing websites or do you just make your own tests / use past papers?
Original post by MimiSeneca
You're doing it right doing it like this! Writing out notes feels productiive to lots of people, but it actually barely engages your brain (which is why it can be an easy revision option that many choose to do). This means that the act of writing doesn't help a huge amount of it stick. It is much more useful to read through and then start testing yourself. With testing, you can see the parts that you understand less / struggle to remember, and hone in on this.
Of course, this isn't true for everyone and I'm not saying that note-making is a waste of time. But if you feel like you don't need to, don't force yourself as it will make your revision less effective!

Do you use testing websites or do you just make your own tests / use past papers?

Please can you point me to testing websites you have mentioned, I will be extremely thankful.
Original post by helpintransfer
Please can you point me to testing websites you have mentioned, I will be extremely thankful.

Of course! I signed up to https://senecalearning.com/ and got early access, and that was really sick. Was a really engaging way of testing and I remembered so much afterwards. Quizlet can also be good - lots of smaller tests on different topics but less variety in the methods of testing..
Of course! I signed up to https://senecalearning.com/ and got early access, and that was really sick. Was a really engaging way of testing and I remembered so much afterwards. Quizlet can also be good - lots of smaller tests on different topics but less variety in the methods of testing..

Thanks MimiSeneca
Reply 6

Thank you! and I use a lot of past papers (timed practices) and questions as I understand that exam technique is definitely my weak point :biggrin:x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending