The Student Room Group

No Motivation for Law Degree?

Hi Guys,

So basically I am in my second year and I dont have that great grades in first year so only applied to a few firms for vacation schemes and I got to the assessment centre stage but today got a call saying I had been rejected.

Dont get me wrong, I was very fortunate to even this far but over the process I became quite emotionally invested in the firm and the more I researched it the more perfect it seemed for me.

I have been quite upset since getting the PFO and honestly do not have any motivation to apply for other schemes or even do my work for my degree.

I know this sounds like a whining post as rejection is the legal sector is inevitable but idk im just lacking confidence already that I can even get a TC and this kind of has hit me hard.
Reply 1
Hi, thanks for the reply! No I applied to 6 I think, some big city firms and one MC firm. Its quite annoying because I have gotten past the application stage for all of them and the last two gotten to the AC stage and fell on the last hurdle. I dont mind rejection, if I receive it from the get go, but like I said the last rejection kind of has hurt a lot more just because I actually was really attached to the firm (sounds stupid I know) but it kind of became my "fav".

I think my biggest weaknesses are grades from first year, I have less than respectable grades a first and a few 2:1s rest 2:2s. Although I have clearly done something right to get past these in the application stage. I really want to achieve a first class degree but I dont of feel like whats the point. But I think its because its only today the rejection call came so maybe in a day or so I will get over it.

I do also appriciate the rejection is the norm (harsh but true) when applying to VS and TCs and I need to suck it up, which I am trying to do. Like I said I would say my grades are my biggest downfall, I have quite a few legal experiences listed. I do however need to get feedback and see where I am stumbling on in my ACs and try and correct them.

Do you think it is worth applying for the 2020 TC cycle or worth waiting till next year? I am trying my hardest to graduate with a first class degree or atleast above 67% but my only issue is I do not want to take a year "out" but it seems that this is also becoming a norm among law grads in order to secure top TCs.

How is your VS/TC hunting going? If you dont mind me asking.
Reply 2
LOL literally what I tell myself to motive me back. I currently have 2 2:1s in my first sem (low but at atleast they are 2:1s) hoping for higher and for a few firsts. My main motivation tactic is looking at what I need this year to stand a realistic chance at a first. I look at the "grade" chart regularly to use that as motivation (sounds so stupid but sometimes it stops me from thinking its impossible).

I tried to do as many applications as I could but ultimately just ran out of time and did not want to hand in dreadfully rushed apps in fear of being blacklisted. Congrats on your offers! Hopefully I may get one. Even at the lower end firms I will be happy at the moment. Currently trying to get work experience if nothing else.

Its frustrating because even at the top unis in the country you are not guaranteed anything as most people try to claim.
Reply 3
Yup same here! At my uni you get people who genuinely think if its not CC or Skadden its not enough. Which I fair enough because people have aspirations but if you are "capable" then you need to atleast be realistic!

Do you think it will be worth applying to TCs this cycle? I`m not someone who thinks its MC or nothing although I would like to work at a top tier firm, I would never rule out some other firms like HSF, NRF, Pinsents etc as they are still amazing and maybe more realistic. Although getting into said firms is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. I do not think I would want to work for say a high street firm, but thats not because "I am better than them" just more because my aspirations and vision does not align with them.

What would you say to applying to TCs this year? I do have work experience and hopefully better grades but I am left feeling a little "un-confident" in my abilities :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending