The Student Room Group

my friend says my uni is for dumb people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?

First of all, ignore him. Who cares what he thinks? and no Birkbeck is not the worst and its not the best either. Its ranked 116 in the complete university guide. The worst is suffulk university at 128th.
Original post by cyber1995
First of all, ignore him. Who cares what he thinks? and no Birkbeck is not the worst and its not the best either. Its ranked 116 in the complete university guide. The worst is suffulk university at 128th.

I thought rankings don't matter
I thought rankings don't matter

They really don't at the end of the day, if you both come out with a 1st or a 2.1. I don't think anyone will pay attentionto your unis ranking. I've always thought that the rankings reflect the students experience of the uni. Like the more opportunities they've had to get ahead in life, the higher the unis rankings
Original post by erratic_deus
Haha! Yes yes, my statement about UCL

wasn't entirely wrong. UCL isn't the best

and even if it was it shouldn't call an entire

student body of another uni dumb due to the fact it

may have an unconventional type of system which attracts

a certain demographic.

Ok

It doesn't need to be the absolute best, it is extremely highly ranked on any scale one wishes to look.

The OP is just an example of a bit of banter, people shouldn't take such things so seriously.
They really don't at the end of the day, if you both come out with a 1st or a 2.1. I don't think anyone will pay attentionto your unis ranking. I've always thought that the rankings reflect the students experience of the uni. Like the more opportunities they've had to get ahead in life, the higher the unis rankings

Oh but employers certainly do, especially when faced with so many graduates. Just not to the point where its Oxbridge or go home. The rankings tend to focus more on research work but they're improving to reflect more aspects of the undergrad experience.

Original post by TCA2b
Oh but employers certainly do, especially when faced with so many graduates. Just not to the point where its Oxbridge or go home. The rankings tend to focus more on research work but they're improving to reflect more aspects of the undergrad experience.

Thanks. I know it's true I just... don't really have a choice. So I'll make the most of my time at Birkbeck.
Reply 46
Original post by TCA2b
Oh but employers certainly do

Most employers certainly don't.

And if they did which ranking would they use? There's at least 4 domestic rankings, and they are all different and more importantly differ by subject too. And which year do they use (they change every year)... the year the hiring manager went to university? The year the candidate graduated? The current year? Nope...

Employers are looking for good people to employ, not "good" universities.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 47
my course is mentioned there haha, thanks for the link definitely made me feel better

If Economics is your course here's the full table for the top 10.
UCL is 7th, Birkbeck is 2nd. :smile:

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 20.32.30.jpg

Median incomes 5 years after graduating.
Source: LEO https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university
Original post by Doonesbury
Most employers certainly don't.

And if they did which ranking would they use? There's at least 4 domestic rankings, and they are all different and more importantly differ by subject too. And which year do they use (they change every year)... the year the manager went to university? The year the candidate graduated? The current year? Nope...

Employers are looking for good people to employ, not "good" universities.

True, most don't, but then for most a degree isn't a relevant consideration, at least not in the absence of everyone and their dog having one.

Considering how these firms have entire HR departments capable of filtering candidates on a number of criteria, do you think the presence of multiple rankings will stop them or pose a particular hindrance? Even if they're not fit for their purposes, they can easily rank the universities on a basis of their choosing, or simply focus on those which do include elements relevant to their consideration.

In fact, they probably do this by correlating graduate performance in terms of hires from particular universities with psychometric testing, which is effectively a redacted IQ test. Nevermind alumni networks. Point being, the university's reputation does matter.

The last bit is true, but how do they determine that before making the hire? One factor they look at is the degree, the subject and where it was taken. Why? Because they will be investing considerable sums in training someone who will be a net liability for years to come and in some cases, difficult to fire if they make the wrong decision.
(edited 6 years ago)
I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London?

While said "friend" is unequivocally a moron, I sincerely hope this half-baked kernel of conjecture wasn't the sum total of your market research.
Original post by TCA2b

What is your evidence for this. With a few notable exceptions this isn't backed up by evidence, or employer policies. Its a dangerous myth.
Reply 51
Original post by TCA2b
True, most don't, but then for most a degree isn't a relevant consideration, at least not in the absence of everyone and their dog having one.

Considering how these firms have entire HR departments capable of filtering candidates on a number of criteria, do you think the presence of multiple rankings will stop them or pose a particular hindrance? Even if they're not fit for their purposes, they can easily rank the universities on a basis of their choosing, or simply focus on those which do include elements relevant to their consideration.

In fact, they probably do this by correlating graduate performance in terms of hires from particular universities with psychometric testing, which is effectively a redacted IQ test. Nevermind alumni networks. Point being, the university's reputation does matter.

The last bit is true, but how do they determine that before making the hire? One factor they look at is the degree, the subject and where it was taken. Why? Because they will be investing considerable sums in training someone who will be a net liability for years to come and in some cases, difficult to fire if they make the wrong decision.

Nope
Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads-compressed.png.jpeg

Source: The CBI
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope
Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads-compressed.png.jpeg

Source: The CBI

And this is what, exactly? An infographic stating what hiring managers surveyed claim they rank most highly? It'd be far more interesting to see which universities they tend to draw their graduates from, where the degree is a relevant consideration.
Original post by ajj2000
What is your evidence for this. With a few notable exceptions this isn't backed up by evidence, or employer policies. Its a dangerous myth.

Ok, what's the "evidence" that it isn't "backed up by", that leads to the conclusion that it's a "dangerous myth"? I'll need a bit more than an infographic intended to convince the gullible.
Original post by TCA2b
And this is what, exactly? An infographic stating what hiring managers surveyed claim they rank most highly? It'd be far more interesting to see which universities they tend to draw their graduates from, where the degree is a relevant consideration.

True - but you have to account for 'A' level results, parental help, area of the country the graduate lives and social capital. You also need to consider the background of the students on entering the course (highly mobile 21 year olds do better than those with family commitments.

The Economist had some data they presented which showed some of these adjustments - I wish someone would present fuller data.
Reply 55
Original post by TCA2b

It's not an infographic. It's a chart from iirc a 100 page report annually produced by the CBI. The Confederation of British Industry.

Edit to add: "Conduct of the survey

The survey was conducted online during the period February to April 2017. Useable responses were received from 344 employers. Participant organisations were drawn from all sectors of the economy and range from very small firms to businesses with workforces in excess of 5,000 people.

The survey was completed by a senior executive in each organisation. In small and medium- sized companies, this was typically the managing director, chief executive or chairman. In larger firms, it was usually the human resources director or equivalent."

And I can do you a chart of Cambridge masters applicant offer rates by prior undergrad university if you like. Basically all UK universities are fair game.

Universities look for good masters candidates. And employees look for good employees.

The prior university is not a major factor for most employers for most roles. And as per my above earnings chart Birkbeck sits very nicely anyway for a competitive career like Economics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Your friend is the definition of nerd brattiness at its finest, he must have a sad life
Original post by erratic_deus
Also, your friend should know that UCL isn't ranked that highly in the league tables!

LOL

PS. To OP, if you have decent work Birkbeck/Open University are completely fine and recognised.
Original post by TCA2b
Ok, what's the "evidence" that it isn't "backed up by", that leads to the conclusion that it's a "dangerous myth"? I'll need a bit more than an infographic intended to convince the gullible.

The infographic is a presentation of pretty well known research into recruitment. It reflects a large survey of hiring managers - similar surveys show similar results so I would suggest that it is reliable.

For more anecdotal evidence read every comment on here (or better still websites with an older average age of contributors) from people who are professional recruiters or who are recruiting managers. Outside of law and banking I've not seen a reason to believe that choice of university (as opposed to course) makes a significant difference all other factors being equal.

I'm not sure if there is an equivalent study here, but there are a number of papers in America looking at the outcomes for people who got place in Ivy league institutions but went to state schools instead. They didn't find any notable difference. Inputs matter....

Were there to be such a study focused on graduate outcomes my best guess is that (in addition to the areas covered in the graph) the biggest determinants for graduate prospects would be 'A' level grades, ability to pass aptitude tests and accessibility of major employment markets. Correlation is not the same a causation. More highly employable (for grad roles) go to top universities - it's not necessarily the choice of university which gets them into better jobs.
Original post by Appleorpear
To OP, if you have decent work Birkbeck/Open University are completely fine and recognised.

the problem is i know i could get in somewhere else, i'm sure i could get into ucl. but i can't - i have to work full time (can't afford living in london otherwise) and i still want to have some me time, i already studied once full time (over 20 hrs a week) and worked full time and i was half alive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending