The Student Room Group

Help with maths question please

Hi guys, the only thing I don't get here is why the force T2 is acting on person A? Would really appreciate any help
35.PNG
Attachment not found
It is the force of person 2 on person 1. It's equal and opposite on both people.
Reply 2
Original post by Nagromicous
It is the force of person 2 on person 1. It's equal and opposite on both people.

But isn't person 2 holding onto the rope and not onto person 1?
Original post by sienna2266
But isn't person 2 holding onto the rope and not onto person 1?

I see your point. You're right. However, I'm pretty sure the question assumes that the rope which Person B is holding is connecting only to Person A. I think it's just a poorly designed question. I know it's not a satisfying answer.
Reply 4
I see your point. You're right. However, I'm pretty sure the question assumes that the rope which Person B is holding is connecting only to Person A. I think it's just a poorly designed question. I know it's not a satisfying answer.

Ahh so do you mean to say that the rope person A is holding onto is separate from the rope person B is holding onto? So the rope person B is holding onto is attached to person A's foot and person A is just clinging onto the rope coming down from the helicopter? :biggrin:
Lol please let me know :smile:
Ahh so do you mean to say that the rope person A is holding onto is separate from the rope person B is holding onto? So the rope person B is holding onto is attached to person A's foot and person A is just clinging onto the rope coming down from the helicopter? :biggrin:
Lol please let me know :smile:

lol pretty much
Reply 6
lol pretty much

Thanks so much! :smile:
Thanks so much! :smile:

No problem. The classic example of this would be a train with several carriages, where each carriage is pulling the one behind it and being pulled by the one in front.
Reply 8
No problem. The classic example of this would be a train with several carriages, where each carriage is pulling the one behind it and being pulled by the one in front.

Yeah that fits really well with this. Thanks so much!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest