The Student Room Group

Computer science from medicine?

Hello,

I am very nervous about making this post and hope I can gather as much support and useful answers as possible

I have been in exhaustive indecision over the past 2 years passively over what I want to pursue and being Asian I was pushed towards doing medicine by my mum.However my dad being a surgeon knew the reality off the profession and was open about it.

Not to float my own boat but I am a high achieving student and in the middle of AS{year 12}.I have decided that my heart is simply not in medicine and though about what I loved and it came down to space and computing.

I realised what I loved and was truly good at{comp science at GCSE} was computer science and my ambition and one long-term desire hands always been to work at apple as I love the company inside out.

It suddenly struck me that I had found something I was passionate about and good at-my calling?{And a company I loved to go with its:}And my dad was supportive...

I may sound superficial but I honestly think I have what it takes.

However since before now I planned my life towards medicine my A-level currently are maths, chemistry and biology.

Dueto my nature I was hoping to go to a top university such as Oxbridge or imperial to do computer science.

Are my A-level suitable and note that I have GCSE computing,7A* at GCSE and do tons of coding as a hobby.

Also assuming this works will I have a realistic chance of becoming an engineer at apple and potentially climbing the ranks{or is that restricted to MBA people}..

ALL INSIGHTS AND ANSWERS WOULD BE SOOOOO HELPFUL.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

i think you could get onto a computer science course with those a-levels; most have said maths is actually more useful than computer science at a-level if you're planning to study it at uni. i've only looked at a few unis, but cambridge for example, all colleges have said that they want an a-level in maths, some asking for a science a-level too.

of course, the fact that you do coding as a hobby is likely to be very helpful also.
W
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i think you could get onto a computer science course with those a-levels; most have said maths is actually more useful than computer science at a-level if you're planning to study it at uni. i've only looked at a few unis, but cambridge for example, all colleges have said that they want an a-level in maths, some asking for a science a-level too.

of course, the fact that you do coding as a hobby is likely to be very helpful also.

Wow thanks for the reply.Do you think if I tart doing a level computer science in addition to the 3 a level I have I may b able to go to a top uni for computer science as that is a must to work at Apple.

Or is my current 3 brought suitable enough for a top uni?
Original post by VNN
W

Wow thanks for the reply.Do you think if I tart doing a level computer science in addition to the 3 a level I have I may b able to go to a top uni for computer science as that is a must to work at Apple.

Current 3 is enough for a "top" uni, Further Maths will probably help more if you're applying to Imperial/Oxbridge. Also, Physics might be good too. These two are favoured a lot more over the compsci a level.
Original post by VNN
W

i'm only in year 11 so i can't say i know it all, but even cambridge said you don't even need any prior knowledge of programming beforehand- and seeing as you code in your spare time, as the poster said above, if you wanna do a fourth a-level, go for physics or further maths.
As long as you have A level maths and a passion for Computer Science, you're good to go.
From what I've heard from Unis including Oxbridge is that they teach Computer Science from scratch so you're fine.

You've got solid GCSEs as well so I don't see what's stopping you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by usfbullz
As long as you have A level maths and a passion for Computer Science, you're good to go.

You've got solid GCSEs as well so I don't see what's stopping you.

Thanks but my passion t work for Apple and I am cared to death that I don’t have Further Mathematics it computing a level and even if it take up computing I can’t go to oxbridge or Morrison due to no further Mathematics which makes me very sad as that my destroy many chances of getting to Apple.

I’m so consumed and depressed right now
Original post by VNN
Thanks but my passion t work for Apple and I am cared to death that I don’t have Further Mathematics it computing a level and even if it take up computing I can’t go to oxbridge or Morrison due to no further Mathematics which makes me very sad as that my destroy many chances of getting to Apple.

I’m so consumed and depressed right now

Unis (incl Oxbridge) don't require Further Maths for Computer Science but it is desirable to have. I've never heard of a Uni that explicitly states that FM is required for Comp Sci.

Relax a little, if you check the uni websites, you'll see the same thing I am saying on there.
Unis (incl Oxbridge) don't require Further Maths for Computer Science but it is desirable to have. I've never heard of a Uni that explicitly states that FM is required for Comp Sci.

Relax a little, if you check the uni websites, you'll see the same thing I am saying on there.

Thanks for the response

I check the Cambridge website and ad of 2019 further Mathematics will be a requirement:frown:
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the response

I check the Cambridge website and ad of 2019 further Mathematics will be a requirement:frown:

That is if you plan to take the Computer Science with Mathematics course:

For 2019 entry, A Level Further Mathematics will be an essential entry requirement for Computer Science with Mathematics for students taking A Levels.

Oxford:
Candidates are expected to have Mathematics to A-level (A or A* grade), Advanced Higher (A grade), Higher Level in the IB (score 7) or another equivalent. Further Mathematics is also highly recommended. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.

Recommended but not required.

If you're that worried about not having Further Maths, you can self teach it in your own spare time and perhaps join the A2 class when you hit Year 13. examsolutions.net is a good start.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VNN
Hello,

I am very nervous about making this post and hope I can gather as much support and useful answers as possible

I have been in exhaustive indecision over the past 2 years passively over what I want to pursue and being Asian I was pushed towards doing medicine by my mum.However my dad being a surgeon knew the reality off the profession and was open about it.

Not to float my own boat but I am a high achieving student and in the middle of AS{year 12}.I have decided that my heart is simply not in medicine and though about what I loved and it came down to space and computing.

I realised what I loved and was truly good at{comp science at GCSE} was computer science and my ambition and one long-term desire hands always been to work at apple as I love the company inside out.

It suddenly struck me that I had found something I was passionate about and good at-my calling?{And a company I loved to go with its:}And my dad was supportive...

I may sound superficial but I honestly think I have what it takes.

However since before now I planned my life towards medicine my A-level currently are maths, chemistry and biology.

Dueto my nature I was hoping to go to a top university such as Oxbridge or imperial to do computer science.

Are my A-level suitable and note that I have GCSE computing,7A* at GCSE and do tons of coding as a hobby.

Also assuming this works will I have a realistic chance of becoming an engineer at apple and potentially climbing the ranks{or is that restricted to MBA people}..

ALL INSIGHTS AND ANSWERS WOULD BE SOOOOO HELPFUL.

Thanks.

UK comp sci degrees are ****ed, it's not like America - most go into them with 0 idea how to code. Maths, Chem and Bio are fine for Comp Sci. I know plenty of people doing Comp Sci who haven't done FM. Also why Imperial or Oxbridge? Imo you'd be better off looking at the degree itself and looking at any prominent projects that came from that university etcetc. Building a portfolio is just as important to your university in this sector.

In regards to becoming an engineer for Apple, what do you want to be working on exactly? If it's software that's fine, but if you're thinking of designing the machines, chips etc you need to look at EEng.
(edited 6 years ago)
Recommended but not required.

If you're that worried about not having Further Maths, you can self teach it in your own spare time and perhaps join the A2 class when you hit Year 13. examsolutions.net is a good start.

Wow I just realised that’s thank you sooo much for the clarification.

But I’m worried that if it’s strongly recommended and if I have say 3 A* and even if I initiate computing and get an A an individual with further maths will be better of than me.
Original post by uwotuwot
UK comp sci degrees are ****ed, it's not like America - most go into them with 0 idea how to code. Maths, Chem and Bio are fine for Comp Sci. I know plenty of people doing Comp Sci who haven't done FM. Also why Imperial or Oxbridge? Imo you'd be better off looking at the degree itself and looking at any prominent projects that came from that university etcetc. Building a portfolio is just as important to your university in this sector.

In regards to becoming an engineer for Apple, what do you want to be working on exactly? If it's software that's fine, but if you're thinking of designing the machines, chips etc you need to look at EEng.

Thanks for the helpful reply.Thats reassuring and would you say I have a comparable chance?Also I though imperial or Oxbridge as would be an elite uni which are highly sought after by the likes of apple and if I do a postgrad in comp sci in America at a top uni I will be able to achieve my dream job at Apple.

Also I am interested in software and hardware but would doubt computer science prevent me from being a apple hardware engineer/what position would it open?
Original post by VNN
Wow I just realised that’s thank you sooo much for the clarification.

But I’m worried that if it’s strongly recommended and if I have say 3 A* and even if I initiate computing and get an A an individual with further maths will be better of than me.

No need to start Computing A level. Stick with the three you already have. Also a individual who has further maths isn't necessarily better off than you, they may have it but there are many other factors in selecting a suitable candidate than meeting the requirements and recommendations.

Do not worry, just focus on your programming skills development, become more mathematically fluent and develop thinking intuitively.

Good luck.

No need to start Computing A level. Stick with the three you already have. Also a individual who has further maths isn't necessarily better off than you, they may have it but there are many other factors in selecting a suitable candidate than meeting the requirements and recommendations.

Do not worry, just focus on your programming skills development, become more mathematically fluent and develop thinking intuitively.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help!would Biology be valued in anyway since from the knowledge I’ve gathered the cliche subjects for computing are computing and Mathematics and Further Mathematics and chemistry and I have 2/4(3 if computing) But does biology have any value to computer science faculties?
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the helpful reply.Thats reassuring and would you say I have a comparable chance?Also I though imperial or Oxbridge as would be an elite uni which are highly sought after by the likes of apple and if I do a postgrad in comp sci in America at a top uni I will be able to achieve my dream job at Apple.

Also I am interested in software and hardware but would doubt computer science prevent me from being a apple hardware engineer/what position would it open?

I would say so. Can't hurt to supplement your academics with work experience and starting to learn to code though... and yeah going to Imperial or Oxbridge certainly looks good but when you're sat in an interview for your dream job and they ask you to code something as simple as FizzBuzz then it means absolutely nothing.

If you do computer science you will be studying software engineering, you will study the foundations of hardware etc but you won't compare to somone trained in EEng / Computer engineering. Do you want to code software or build machines? I can't tell from your posts, esp. when you mentioned climbing the ranks / needing an MBA - are you more interested in the business aspect rather than the coding/engineering?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the help!would Biology be valued in anyway since from the knowledge I’ve gathered the cliche subjects for computing are computing and Mathematics and Further Mathematics and chemistry and I have 2/4(3 if computing) But does biology have any value to computer science faculties?

From going to uni open days and interviews over the last few months, one of the things that is very clear is that there are very often strong links between the Biology and Computer Science departments, as with all the sciences. Biology will be thought of as preferable to non-science subjects and I see no specific reason why it should be thought of as a worse fit than Chemisty.

Mainly the top universities are looking for people who are obviously able to cope with science based subjects to a high level, which Biology at A Level definitely shows
Original post by VNN

I guess since computer and the human body work in the same way with a CPU doing all the tasks. And you can also think about the analogy of diseases in humans to malware in computers.

I'm no biologist so don't take my word for it. Nonetheless it is a science subject as required by Unis so you're fine there.
Thanks for the reply.i see your point
In relation to Apple,I’m an purely obsessed with the engineering coding aspect and my previous business did mentions were about how Apple as a company believe people at the top like CEO and CTO etc should be engineers and not just businessmen which explains why Tim Cook etc( engineers) lead Apple which I absolutely love.So what I meant was a engineer I can climb the ranks of Apple.

In relation to what role I would like I like hardware and software but I’m not dl st on differences between computing,computer science and computer engineering?

To answer you question could you please break this down for me as Cambridge only offer computer science and general engineering...
(edited 6 years ago)
why did you create another identical thread?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5201410

Quick Reply

Latest