The Student Room Group

Do MI5 only recruit from Oxbridge?

Today I had a discussion with a senior engineer and we were discussing future uni's and careers and we ended up talking about the titled topic.

I wanted to know if this is true since I don't really like the atmosphere of Oxbridge but I'm in my school's Oxbridge society and can get the grades to study engineering there too.

Ps I'm thinking of Bath of Imperial

Scroll to see replies

No. That would be discrimination.

This is one job listing in the technological field
https://recruitmentservices.applicationtrack.com/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/1126-Cyber-Technical-Analyst-Ref-1126/en-GB

Also going to Cambridge and Oxford doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed a job! Ridiculous and I don't like the social stigma around Oxbridge since it promotes snobbery and useless applications from people.
Reply 2
You can apply to Five from anywhere, man. In any case, the govt. tend to tap up great individuals, regardless of their institutions.
Wow! It is some really scary stuff though.

I'm spooked out from just reading this

"Discretion is vital. You should not discuss your application, other than with your partner or a close family member, providing that they are British. You should also make them aware of the importance of discretion. You should not post on social media sites about your application or discuss it with anyone else at this stage. You will receive further guidance during the recruitment process.
You should only launch your application from within the UK. If you are based overseas, please wait until you visit the UK to apply. Applying when outside of the UK will impact on our ability to progress with your application"
Original post by Anonymous
Today I had a discussion with a senior engineer and we were discussing future uni's and careers and we ended up talking about the titled topic.

I wanted to know if this is true since I don't really like the atmosphere of Oxbridge but I'm in my school's Oxbridge society and can get the grades to study engineering there too.

Yes, if you are thinking of recruitment before about 1975. No, if you are thinking about recruitment since then. Nowadays, given the threat, I suspect the Oxbridge intake is relatively small. Take a look at their advertising - it's very far from Oxbridge centric.
They'd prefer an Oxbridge candidate if all else is equal. Most engineering grads outside Oxbridge and a few other universities aren't that high quality for an MI5 role.
Original post by Appleorpear
They'd prefer an Oxbridge candidate if all else is equal. Most engineering grads outside Oxbridge and a few other universities aren't that high quality for an MI5 role.

That is such a dire comment to make.
Do you have any evidence to back it up?

p.s There is a world outside Oxbridge, heard of Loughborough, Bath and Imperial?
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, if you are thinking of recruitment before about 1975. No, if you are thinking about recruitment since then. Nowadays, given the threat, I suspect the Oxbridge intake is relatively small. Take a look at their advertising - it's very far from Oxbridge centric.

Yeah,and their degree specs for applicants drift as low as a 2:2 these days.
Original post by erratic_deus
That is such a dire comment to make.
Do you have any evidence to back it up?

p.s There is a world outside Oxbridge, heard of Loughborough, Bath and Imperial?

"Most engineering grads outside Oxbridge and a few other universities aren't that high quality for an MI5 role."

Learn to read what I say before insulting me.
"Most engineering grads outside Oxbridge and a few other universities aren't that high quality for an MI5 role."

That is a very dire comment to make.
How have I insulted you? List every uni you think produces students of a high enough standard to work for MI5
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

An Oxbridge society, Oxbridge prefer students who aren't in such societies. Primarily it provides the expectation of preparation, and mechanical industrialisatio of premade answers to interview questions. Oxbridge want your personality- Although grades have a significant impact regarding Oxbridge, it is important to recognise the super-curricular activites; in addition to your work experience. Enough of that.

MI5 don't care, they provide equal opportunities to potential employees that are equipped with the necessary skill and experience to effectively fulfil their job requirements. As a government organisation, they will not provide discrimination; its bad press media. Furthermore, if the stereotype of "Oxbridge dominated MI5" is expressed it could possibly be because Oxbridge students are on average develop greater influential connections, have experienced different cultures, traditions and countries, and have developed valuable skills through thir experience. it is similar to the debate with "Oxbridge is dominated by Etonians and Harrovians"; organisation only care about your skill.

MI5 provide "relatively" low paid salaries, and the majority of their work is analysing and recognising potential threats; it really isn't James Bond-esque *
That is a very dire comment to make.

You changed your comment too.

Read your quote. You literally quoted me. If I edit, it says it is edited.
Are you stupid or just trolling? Read your quote. You literally quoted me. If I edit, it says it is edited.

Stop name-calling. I haven't name-called you.

List the few other universities that you think produce students of a high enough quality for MI5.
Stop name-calling. I haven't name-called you.

List the few other universities that you think produce students of a high enough quality for MI5.

Sorry you're just so frustrating to talk to. Not gonna continue.

MI5 are ultimately a branch of the civil service. They're not really in that business of being too picky. There's nothing particularly elite or special about MI5.
Sorry you're just so frustrating to talk to. Not gonna continue.

More like : "What I said was said on nothing but subjectivity, no factual basis at all, I put Oxbridge on a pedestal - no other university produces candidates as qualified as Oxbridge, I haven't even gotten into Oxbridge, let me add a few other universities as well so I don't appear oxbridge-orientated, I don't even know what other universities have great engineering departments, I also fail to recognize that Oxbridge isn't exactly the best for engineering, grr grr"

u haven't said anything ur on the internet + stop crying, my brother studies engineering at bristol and he's amazing at what he does, stop being elitist.
More like : "What I said was said on nothing but subjectivity, no factual basis at all, I put Oxbridge on a pedestal - no other university produces candidates as qualified as Oxbridge, I haven't even gotten into Oxbridge, let me add a few other universities as well so I don't appear oxbridge-orientated, I don't even know what other universities have great engineering departments, I also fail to recognize that Oxbridge isn't exactly the best for engineering, grr grr"

Place like Imperial, Bath and Leeds are great for engineering. Imperial has high entry requirements (A*A*A for Mech/Elec/Civil etc and A*A*A* for Chem) then Bath and Leeds are both A*AA
Places like that don't care so much about what uni you went to. More so, can you get the security clearance- DV which involves providing your full life to them then a 4+ hour interview, drugs tests and physical/psych tests if they so wish. It has 50% failure rate and something tiny can cause your security to be withheld. Other than that you just need to be decent at what you're doing.
No lol, I go to St Andrews and they placed an advert in our student newspaper a few years ago to encourage applications and a lot of reps from the home office came during the scottish independence referendum to promote opportunities.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending