The Student Room Group

Computer science from medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uwotuwot
I would say so. Can't help to supplement your academics with work experience and starting to learn to code though... and yeah going to Imperial or Oxbridge certainly looks good but when you're sat in an interview for your dream job and they ask you to code something as simple as FuzzBuzz then it means absolutely nothing.

If you do computer science you will be studying software engineering, you will study the foundations of hardware etc but you won't compare to somone trained in EEng / Computer engineering. Do you want to code software or build machines? I can't tell from your posts, esp. when you mentioned climbing the ranks / needing an MBA - are you more interested in the business aspect rather than the coding/engineering?

Thanks for the reply.i see your point
In relation to Apple,I’m an purely obsessed with the engineering coding aspect and my previous business did mentions were about how Apple as a company believe people at the top like CEO and CTO etc should be engineers and not just businessmen which explains why Tim Cook etc( engineers) lead Apple which I absolutely love.So what I meant was a engineer I can climb the ranks of Apple.

In relation to what role I would like I like hardware and software but I’m not dl st on differences between computing,computer science and computer engineering?

To answer you question could you please break this down for me as Cambridge only offer computer science and general engineering..
Original post by Faction Paradox
From going to uni open days and interviews over the last few months, one of the things that is very clear is that there are very often strong links between the Biology and Computer Science departments, as with all the sciences. Biology will be thought of as preferable to non-science subjects and I see no specific reason why it should be thought of as a worse fit than Chemisty.

Mainly the top universities are looking for people who are obviously able to cope with science based subjects to a high level, which Biology at A Level definitely shows

Thanks for the response,that was very helpful to me .so would I be considered to have an advantage if I have a high grade in biology such as an A* and would it be comparable to physics?
Original post by usfbullz
I guess since computer and the human body work in the same way with a CPU doing all the tasks. And you can also think about the analogy of diseases in humans to malware in computers.

I'm no biologist so don't take my word for it. Nonetheless it is a science subject as required by Unis so you're fine there.

Kk thanks.

So would uni consider the biology and computation relationships as novel or truly useful?
Original post by VNN
Kk thanks.

So would uni consider the biology and computation relationships as novel or truly useful?

I do not know
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the response,that was very helpful to me .so would I be considered to have an advantage if I have a high grade in biology such as an A* and would it be comparable to physics?

I don't think it is generally thought of as highly as Physics for Comp Sci, with some places prefering Physics over Computer Science A Levels, but it certainly be in your favour compared to people who have taken non sciences.

Although I would guess that with your subjects you may need to work harder on subject related extra curriculars more than those who take the typical Comp Sci A Level set, to be considered at their level. That's not to say you can't do it, but be prepared to put in that extra time and effort. Although if you truly think this is the best subject for you, that shouldn't be as difficult as it might sound. As on your personal statement, you probably want to talk about 2 or 3 major points about your subject, whether that's books you've read, projects you've completed or competitions you have entered. And if you can convincingly talk about what you have learnt from these and why you think these show you've got the right skills for the course, then universities will be able to see the skill and enthusiasm you have for Computer Science
Original post by usfbullz
I do not know

Kk thanks for the help.I feel very nervous about this major change in my life how do I cope?
I don't think it is generally thought of as highly as Physics for Comp Sci, with some places prefering Physics over Computer Science A Levels, but it certainly be in your favour compared to people who have taken non sciences.

Although I would guess that with your subjects you may need to work harder on subject related extra curriculars more than those who take the typical Comp Sci A Level set, to be considered at their level. That's not to say you can't do it, but be prepared to put in that extra time and effort. Although if you truly think this is the best subject for you, that shouldn't be as difficult as it might sound. As on your personal statement, you probably want to talk about 2 or 3 major points about your subject, whether that's books you've read, projects you've completed or competitions you have entered. And if you can convincingly talk about what you have learnt from these and why you think these show you've got the right skills for the course, then universities will be able to see the skill and enthusiasm you have for Computer Science

Thanks for the informative reply.

I completely agree with your well reasoned points.Is there anyway I can apply my work experience I’ve done for medicine and volunteering to computer science and should I put myself under pressure and t y retrieve Further maths which I revolt dropped so I can continue and computing to get the typical set?
Original post by VNN
Kk thanks for the help.I feel very nervous about this major change in my life how do I cope?

Do some outdoor activities regularly to relieve stress, write a diary to vent any frustrations.

Take one step at a time, just like us, the rest of the Year 12s.
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the reply.i see your point
In relation to Apple,I’m an purely obsessed with the engineering coding aspect and my previous business did mentions were about how Apple as a company believe people at the top like CEO and CTO etc should be engineers and not just businessmen which explains why Tim Cook etc( engineers) lead Apple which I absolutely love.So what I meant was a engineer I can climb the ranks of Apple.

In relation to what role I would like I like hardware and software but I’m not dl st on differences between computing,computer science and computer engineering?

To answer you question could you please break this down for me as Cambridge only offer computer science and general engineering...

That's a fair enough aspiration.

I think you really need to look at the difference between software engineer and computer/electrical engineering. Software engineering focuses on understanding/designing/developing/maintaining software applications to interface with hardware (anything from operating systems to apps). Computer engineering focuses on designing/developing/maintaing computer systems, electrical engineering focusing on the study and application of electronics (incl. computers).

i.e. if you want to code **** do comp sci, if you want to build **** do comp/electrical eng

"So would uni consider the biology and computation relationships as novel or truly useful?"
As with everything in life, it depends what you can show you've learned from it, and whether you can apply it.

p.s. pls google things, if you end up being a programmer you will legit spend 75% of your life googling
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VNN
Thanks for the informative reply.

I completely agree with your well reasoned points.Is there anyway I can apply my work experience I’ve done for medicine and volunteering to computer science and should I put myself under pressure and t y retrieve Further maths which I revolt dropped so I can continue and computing to get the typical set?

I obviously don't know the situation with what A Levels your college lets you take, but I would definitely recommend that if you take up a new one that the one that will be most beneficial is Further Maths. Further Maths AS, which you might be able to take up next year (depending on college policy) wouldn't be able to count towards entry requirements, but would give you a leg up when it comes to MAT (Oxford), CSAT (Cambridge) or STEP 1 (mainly ICL, but all unis top unis will like it if you get it), and it may (althugh I am seriously guessing here, feel free to tell me I'm wrong if you know better) give you a not insiginificant advantage over anyone taking just Maths.

Although if Further Maths is a sensible option, then you can still take things like STEP 1 or AEA and take part in Maths Challenges, as this may be able to help you prove your maths is strong enough to keep up on the top CS courses.

However if applying to Oxford you will have a chance to prove your maths skills in MAT, or if you invited to interview at Cambridge, the CSAT. So taking AEA or STEP 1 (unless it's in an offer requirement) is probably only going to be useful if you take it this year, which would mean putting in a not insignificant amount of effort and time.

(also again, tell me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that ICL states that if you don't have Further Maths they'll take STEP or AEA instead, which may be something you want to look into)
I obviously don't know the situation with what A Levels your college lets you take, but I would definitely recommend that if you take up a new one that the one that will be most beneficial is Further Maths. Further Maths AS, which you might be able to take up next year (depending on college policy) wouldn't be able to count towards entry requirements, but would give you a leg up when it comes to MAT (Oxford), CSAT (Cambridge) or STEP 1 (mainly ICL, but all unis top unis will like it if you get it), and it may (althugh I am seriously guessing here, feel free to tell me I'm wrong if you know better) give you a not insiginificant advantage over anyone taking just Maths.

Although if Further Maths is a sensible option, then you can still take things like STEP 1 or AEA and take part in Maths Challenges, as this may be able to help you prove your maths is strong enough to keep up on the top CS courses.

However if applying to Oxford you will have a chance to prove your maths skills in MAT, or if you invited to interview at Cambridge, the CSAT. So taking AEA or STEP 1 (unless it's in an offer requirement) is probably only going to be useful if you take it this year, which would mean putting in a not insignificant amount of effort and time.

(also again, tell me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that ICL states that if you don't have Further Maths they'll take STEP or AEA instead, which may be something you want to look into)

Hey I’ve already done most of Further Mathematics AS and I just dropped it two weeks ago as it wasn’t required for medicine.So would it be worth picking up now again and doing a2 next year?
Original post by VNN
Hey I’ve already done most of Further Mathematics AS and I just dropped it two weeks ago as it wasn’t required for medicine.So would it be worth picking up now again and doing a2 next year?

If you think you can keep up with it, then I think it definitely will give you the best chance for uni
If you think you can keep up with it, then I think it definitely will give you the best chance for uni

Ok will do but I’m really scared as the teachers are like really professional and I’ve just talked to them to find p it and I’ve only missed a few lessons so that isn’t the issue but it’s. Ore of the act that I’m very scared to go and say I change my mind I want to do your subject again.Same for computing.What should I do I’m so nervous and have school on Monday.
Original post by VNN
Ok will do but I’m really scared as the teachers are like really professional and I’ve just talked to them to find p it and I’ve only missed a few lessons so that isn’t the issue but it’s. Ore of the act that I’m very scared to go and say I change my mind I want to do your subject again.Same for computing.What should I do I’m so nervous and have school on Monday.

Any help on this?

Quick Reply

Latest