The Student Room Group

Dating someone who is not as well educated as you are and parents disapproval(advise)

Yeah so basically I'm dating a guy who I really like and I've told my parents about it and they don't seem to approve of it as they keep saying that he is not as educated as me and that I can go for someone who has a better education and everything. Also as he is from a different country they keep saying that he won't be able to find a job or not a good one to get by

I just really like the guy I cant think about breaking up with him but I don't know how to explain to my parents because it's like they just don't understand

Any thoughts??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emwilliams044
Yeah so basically I'm dating a guy who I really like and I've told my parents about it and they don't seem to approve of it as they keep saying that he is not as educated as me and that I can go for someone who has a better education and everything. Also as he is from a different country they keep saying that he won't be able to find a job or not a good one to get by

I just really like the guy I cant think about breaking up with him but I don't know how to explain to my parents because it's like they just don't understand

Any thoughts??

Why does it matter? Thats so silly. Well, don't think and you're parents should think that you're that well better educated than him. You used (Advise) instead of Advice*. Lol
Tbh if you like him, go for it, you’ll live a very unhappy life if you were with someone based on income alone, you know what I mean
Original post by jdddd
Why does it matter? Thats so silly. Well, don't think and you're parents should think that you're that well better educated than him. You used (Advise) instead of Advice*. Lol

You could say advise as in "give advice" in imperative, or simply a request. Good job on missing the point, though.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/please-advise/

OP, if you are in love with the guy then stay with him. Education doesn't equal intelligence, remember that. He might not have been as fortunate.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicalMedic
You could say advise as in "give advice" in imperative, or simply a request. Good job on missing the point, though.

OP, if you are in love with the guy then stay with him. Education doesn't equal intelligence, remember that. He might not have been as fortunate.

Advice would be a better way to put it. I didn't miss the point. If OP was so well educated they would have noticed the mistake and thought well- does it matter? Exactly, intelligence in a relationship doesn't matter.
Original post by jdddd

I don't know but my parents keep insisting on it and I don't know what to do about it :frown: ohh my bad I didn't realise lol
Reply 6
Original post by emwilliams044
I don't know but my parents keep insisting on it and I don't know what to do about it :frown: ohh my bad I didn't realise lol

Did anyone have a say in your parents relationship? Probably not. What gives them the right to control your relationship? None. Unless you're under 16 and the guy is +18 there is nothing wrong.
Original post by LG as you were x
Tbh if you like him, go for it, you’ll live a very unhappy life if you were with someone based on income alone, you know what I mean

yeah that's exactly what I was thinking because I can't imagine living with someone just because they can make more money but at the end of the day I won't be happy

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/please-advise/.

Jddd is in the mood to argue with everyone today. Be careful, it won’t end :lol:

OP, if you have feelings for him, it doesn’t matter what anyone else says or thinks.
(edited 6 years ago)
But Advise makes more sense in this situation!
Tbh if they just disapprove like tutting and that then you should be fine

Yeah he has been less fortunate than me but my parents just don't get that at all
Original post by jdddd
Did anyone have a say in your parents relationship? Probably not. What gives them the right to control your relationship? None. Unless you're under 16 and the guy is +18 there is nothing wrong.

There is nothing else they object to apart from the fact that he is less educated and they worry that I'll struggle in the future with no one supporting me with income
Tbh if they just disapprove like tutting and that then you should be fine

it's not just that tho they just want me to completely stop talking to him and keep telling me about all the problems that this will lead to
How old are the two of you, I’m assuming you’re at least around uni 18/19
You know, I was actually reading an article about how there is a shortage of educated men given the increase in female applications to Uni (look it up if you're interested). A decade from now, your situation will (probably) be the norm.

I guess you must have rather conservative parents if they expect the guy to be more well educated than you. I didn't think people still cared about that sort of thing.

If you pursue a relationship with him and it fails, you'll know it wasn't meant to be. If you don't, you may end up carrying the doubt, guilt and regret with you. I've been there. Do what you want. Life is all about mistakes afterall :biggrin:.
GCSEs and education doesn’t define who your boyfriend is. & distance is nothing when the connection is there xxx
Reply 17
Original post by euphrosyne
Jddd is in the mood to argue with everyone today. Be careful, it won’t end :lol:

OP, if you have feelings for him, it doesn’t matter what anyone else says or thinks.

hahahaha sorry if it seems that way.

im 19 n he'll be 21 in May
Reply 19

Im 19 and 'educated':colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending