The Student Room Group

The media has portrayed a killer of 17 innocent people as a victim!

First of all why are ethnic minority offenders not getting any of these nice power points displayed on national television about what they're missing in their lives.

He was a member of a white supremacist group and he killed 17 innocent people and shot several others. This is what we need to know and this is what he should be sentenced on!

Also, I'm autistic, I've been bullied before and I don't have a father but I'm not going to go and shoot anyone for my own problems! I'm not a victim! I have morals and common sense and I am very empathetic.

He is a white male terrorist and needs to be portrayed as such!

Scroll to see replies

This is what I'm seeing right now!
Original post by erratic_deus
First of all why are ethnic minority offenders not getting any of these nice power points displayed on national television about what they're missing in their lives.

Some do, some don't. Plenty of black criminals in the US often have 'broken homes' or 'troubled upbringings' mentioned. That said, one can't deny there is a bias towards shying away from labelling white people to the same standard as those of colour.

He was a member of a white supremacist group and he killed 17 innocent people and shot several others. This is what we need to know and this is what he should be sentenced on!

We do know it. And I'm sure he will be, but there's no use complaining about it when the trial hasn't even occurred, let alone sentencing.

Also, I'm autistic, I've been bullied before and I don't have a father but I'm not going to go and shoot anyone for my own problems! I'm not a victim! I have morals and common sense and I am very empathetic.

With all due respect, what relevance does this have to your post? Everyone knows there are people with each of those factors who are perfectly law abiding. Similarly, we all know there are people with seemingly no obvious problems in their life who end up committing crimes too.

If he committed the crime with political aims in mind (which will be discerned at the trial) then yeah he should be.
If he was black
"Here's a photo of him holding drug paraphernalia"
"He was a thug/ in a gang"
"He has a wrap sheet"

If he was muslim

"Here's a photo of him in Iran surrounded by other Iranians (paint him out to be indoctrinated"
"He posts pictures of his countries flag on social media"
"He went to the same Imam as X"

And why are they mentioning autism! I hope they're not planning to use it in his defense. Autism doesn't cause you to kill others!

It's all just a list of excuses and a fine example of white privilege.

This is the warning sign we missed.

He told people he was going to shoot schools.
One person reported him and the FBI came.
Somehow he was still able to purchase a gun?

He has planned this attack since September! His mother died in November! Furthermore your mum dying doesn't make you a killer!
(edited 6 years ago)
And why are they mentioning autism! I hope they're not planning to use it in his defense. Autism doesn't cause you to kill others

Mental health is a perfectly valid and extremely common defence used in court cases all the time. Whether or not the court/jury agrees obviously remains to be seen.
This is what I'm seeing right now!

I don't think the media are making him out to be the victim but they're just noting some events that could have possibly led him to do what he did, of course none of which makes it any more unforgivable and horrific.

This is always the case when someone commits a high profile crime, people want to know about the suspects history and upbringing etc.

The reason why America is not labelling the killer as a terrorist is because it would draw attention to the whole gun control debate, which is what Trump and the Republicans do not want. Trump is determined to not have this shooting being linked to the fact that guns are far too easily accessible to anyone. So, he is trying to label the problem of school shootings as being a mental health problem.

Also, thanks to the corrupt nature of American politics, the NRA through revolving doors have a big influence on gun control legislation and it is likely that Trump and the Republicans receive lots of money from them in return for not making any gun control legislation or statements against it.
Original post by MrDystopia
Some do, some don't. Plenty of black criminals in the US often have 'broken homes' or 'troubled upbringings' mentioned. That said, one can't deny there is a bias towards shying away from labelling white people to the same standard as those of colour.

We do know it. And I'm sure he will be, but there's no use complaining about it when the trial hasn't even occurred, let alone sentencing.

With all due respect, what relevance does this have to your post? Everyone knows there are people with each of those factors who are perfectly law abiding. Similarly, we all know there are people with seemingly no obvious problems in their life who end up committing crimes too.

If he committed the crime with political aims in mind (which will be discerned at the trial) then yeah he should be.

Hey!

I was talking about what I'm hearing on the news.
Check CNN!
He’s a murderer! None of that “background” info excuses what he did and I personally think he should receive the electric chair at age 19.
Reply 8
US, of********s

Btw is TSR owned by Americans? As high school posts are frequent
It’s so sad how the media always try to make the public sympathise with the killer if he’s white (because he’s always got “mental problems” and is simply a “lone wolf”) but uses such derogatory terms when he’s a Muslim/black.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I don't think the media are making him out to be the victim but they're just noting some events that could have possibly led him to do what he did, of course none of which makes it any more unforgivable and horrific.

This is always the case when someone commits a high profile crime, people want to know about the suspects history and upbringing etc.

Having autism does not mean you'll become a killer
Having your mum die at age 18 does not mean you'll become a killer.
Being adopted doesn't mean you'll become a killer.

He needs to be punished for what he did, not made out to be a victim of life's circumstances.
Also, I get your point - it is a high profile crime but I don't think this 20 minute powerpoint from CNN is going to make him any less guilty.
(I think CNN is 512 on sky, I'm on talk talk)
Hey!

Check CNN!
He’s a murderer! None of that “background” info excuses what he did and I personally think he should receive the electric chair at age 19.

I think they have to be very careful about what they say about him as he is still alive and thus no trial has taken place. Background is relevant in all cases, although I do take your point from the photos you’ve posted.

The electric chair seems to nice for him no?
Hey!

Check CNN!

We all know he's a murderer and obviously none of that 'excuses' what he did. However, there's a great deal of possibility that it contributed.

As for the death penalty, I disagree.
Original post by MrDystopia
We all know he's a murderer and obviously none of that 'excuses' what he did. However, there's a great deal of possibility that it contributed.

As for the death penalty, I disagree.

Why don't you agree with the death penalty?
Having autism does not mean you'll become a killer
Having your mum die at age 18 does not mean you'll become a killer.
Being adopted doesn't mean you'll become a killer.

He needs to be punished for what he did, not made out to be a victim of life's circumstances.
Also, I get your point - it is a high profile crime but I don't think this 20 minute powerpoint from CNN is going to make him any less guilty.
(I think CNN is 512 on sky, I'm on talk talk)

I never said any of those things :confused:

I'm just saying the media are highlighting events of his childhood as they do with literally every single high profile murderer / terrorist.
usa really need to look at mental health as well as gun control.
Original post by Andrew97
I think they have to be very careful about what they say about him as he is still alive and thus no trial has taken place. Background is relevant in all cases, although I do take your point from the photos you’ve posted.

The electric chair seems to nice for him no?

None of the background affects whether or not he can tell right from wrong.
The electric chair isn't too nice but ethnic minorities have been sentenced to the chair for crimes such as aggravated robbery or rape which is why it seems "too little".
Furthermore the US is really weird with their sentencing. What good is saying 175 years? A white male got life in prison for sexually abusing over 160 women (Larry Nassar) and a young girl got the same sentence as him for killing her rapist (Cyntoia Brown)
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I never said any of those things :confused:

I'm just saying the media are highlighting events of his childhood as they do with literally every single high profile murderer / terrorist.

Exactly, the police and media build up a background of the killer.

This one may be slightly easier as he is still alive and thus can be questioned.
White privilege.
Why don't you agree with the death penalty?

I think it's an easy way out, I think it's far too liable to issues where retrospectively people are found innocent and thus can't be freed, I'd much rather someone serves time in prison as a form of punishment, it doesn't act as a deterrent (though one can argue nor does a long prison sentence).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending