The Student Room Group

Hebrew GCSE

Hey!
I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
Is Hebrew considered a classical language such as greek or latin?
Will there be any benefits?
Thanks x
Original post by erratic_deus
Hey!
I'm an afro-asiatic Jew and I currently speak a branch of a Semitic language (Amharic) and I'm fluent in Arabic (self-taught).
I've seen the new changes to the GCSE and they've included modern hebrew. I'd love to take modern hebrew gcse and I was wondering if there was any significance of taking it?
Thanks x

I'd think just a GCSE and a niche language. Only benefit is having another GCSE imo. maybe slightly more relevant if you apply to do classics or ancient history etc.
Reply 2
Hey!
Thanks x

What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel :smile:

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.
Hey!
Thanks x

There are syllabus for Modern Hebrew and also Biblical Hebrew.
Original post by Notnek
What specifically do you mean by benefits/significance? Hebrew is the original language of the bible, which has influenced literature and culture throughout history and today. So in that way it would be considered a significant language. It isn't part of "classics" but I think many would consider it to be a classical language. I'm no expert on this so don't take my word as gospel.

I can read/write and speak basic Hebrew and the only apparent benefit it gives me is that I can communicate (barely) with people in Israel :smile:

But learning any language is beneficial in lots of indirect ways. If Hebrew has a cultural/religious significance for you then that's more reason to study it.

Are you Israeli?
I'm Hadhramaut :smile:
I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.
Reply 5
Are you Israeli?
I'm Hadhramaut :smile:
I don't speak Hebrew but I can understand it depending on the Israeli/Jordanian.

No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school :smile:
Original post by Notnek
No but I'm Jewish so was forced to learn it in primary school :smile:

Oh. I'm Jewish too and I know some of it and I'm definitely thinking of taking the GCSE during my a-levels!!
i know this is so late to say this but
1.i took hebrew in one year in the beginning i was a D and now im an A* (and im not even that clever)
2,the gcse is very basic
3.modern hebrew is NOT a classical language but biblical hebrew is which btw i think is quiet hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending