The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Do not get the reference. He is my mcm tbf because mourinho tried to ruin him and he's now a boss.

Can't wait to buy him next season and he downs you guys at Stamford Bridge as you lie 17th place in December.

[video="youtube;caIaHcTP5w4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caIaHcTP5w4[/video]
Do not get the reference. He is my mcm tbf because mourinho tried to ruin him and he's now a boss.

Can't wait to buy him next season and he downs you guys at Stamford Bridge as you lie 17th place in December.

Didnt you hate Memphis... 😂
Reply 82
Original post by trapking
Didnt you hate Memphis... 😂

Never. Always said he had potential to be one of the best in the world. Was watching him back when he was back at PSV and he had that Hazard type ability in that league. Certain attacking players you watch and within 5 seconds you know they're good at football. Memphis(like with Martial) is one of those players.
@Rk2k14 would you take him back at United?

I would, if Mou gave him a proper chance he would have exploded. Its kinda funny though and sums up United under Mou. People like Fellaini staying but selling raw talent like Memphis.
Reply 84

I would, if Mou gave him a proper chance he would have exploded. Its kinda funny though and sums up United under Mou. People like Fellaini staying but selling raw talent like Memphis.

Nah. He isnt better than Martial now and I don't think he ever will be.
He'd be too good to sit on our bench so it'd be a waste.

He will end up at a top club though.
Reply 85

Like I really do not see the difference between giving Memphis Depay games and spending loads of money on Sanchez? I think Mourinho just wants to keep the squad fresh with new faces so his full blown AIDs doesn't infect everybody too quickly.

Also don't understand how anyone can criticise Pogba. It's easy to criticise a player and not the manager I guess. Not even going into the Anti-Mou but any man and his dog knows where Pogba plays best so why are you playing him in a different position and then complaining he doesn't play at his best?
(edited 6 years ago)
Never. Always said he had potential to be one of the best in the world. Was watching him back when he was back at PSV and he had that Hazard type ability in that league. Certain attacking players you watch and within 5 seconds you know they're good at football. Memphis(like with Martial) is one of those players.

Fair play! I like his charisma and attitude, guy is a straight baller.

LVG ruined his confidence, Mou never gave him a proper chance.
Reply 87
Hearing some noise about Toby's contract talks stalling (seems to be a case for a couple Spurs players).

Would love him at United. Best CB in the league.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 88
Fair play! I like his charisma and attitude, guy is a straight baller.

LVG ruined his confidence, Mou never gave him a proper chance.

Also think Mbappe is potentially being ruined with some dodgy tactics(first of all he's a striker albeit a versatile one) and while he'll become a super player, don't see what he has got that Martial hasn't, although Martial is being ruined way more, Emery's in game management was ridiculously poor. Cavani was hurting Real with his movement and Meunier came on only to be absolutely rekt by Asensio despite the fact PSG were on the front foot for majority of the game.

Real piss me off because in these games they play well for a few minutes and get goals and play like a segunda liga side for the rest of the game. They're also bigger crossing merchants than Chelsea and United.

Do you think Rashford will improve? I was thinking he obviously has deficiencies in his game but surely Van Gaal saw a lot of potential in him and he was performing extremely well. Don't see why he can't be used up top to ease the load off Lukaku who plays every game e.g.
(edited 6 years ago)
Like I really do not see the difference between giving Memphis Depay games and spending loads of money on Sanchez? I think Mourinho just wants to keep the squad fresh with new faces so his full blown AIDs doesn't infect everybody too quickly.

Also don't understand how anyone can criticise Pogba. It's easy to criticise a player and not the manager I guess. Not even going into the Anti-Mou but any man and his dog knows where Pogba plays best so why are you playing him in a different position and then complaining he doesn't play at his best?

Yeah I completely agree. We should have kept Memphis and rotated that left position between him and Martial. He's a bit different to Martial but in a good way I think and both are excellent at dribbling.

Would definitely prefer that than Sanchez tbh like deep down if I'm honest I'm still not that happy with the Sanchez transfer, just feel like we could have gone for young talent like what City have done with Sane and Jesus. I still think Malcom would be an absolute sensation at United him and Martial on opposite wings in a 4-3-3 yes please! Pogba gets his role and we have fire and flair up front.

Wrt Pogba, I dont hate him at all but I think he gets a bit of free ride sometimes. He needs to do more in big games and put up consistent performances (much like Lukaku).
So many problems at United that i'm genuinely worried it could be a few years before we are challanging for the PL again.

midfield needs drastically sorting out.

We are still playing two wingers at full back, when we have Shaw and Fosu-Mensah perfectly capable, waiting in the wings. Still think next season Jose will try and make Lindelof into a RB, meaning Fosu-Mensah will get hardly any game time.

CB pairing is still a mystery, Smalling and Jones both need to go. Not sure if Rojo is good enough. Bailly is probs the only CB we have who is good enough.

Depressing.
Reply 91
Whole team bar De Gea need to improve in big games for us.

Doesn't help with the way we're set up. Almost a defeatist attitude before the ball's even been kicked.
Reply 92
Yeah I completely agree. We should have kept Memphis and rotated that left position between him and Martial. He's a bit different to Martial but in a good way I think and both are excellent at dribbling.

Would definitely prefer that than Sanchez tbh like deep down if I'm honest I'm still not that happy with the Sanchez transfer, just feel like we could have gone for young talent like what City have done with Sane and Jesus. I still think Malcom would be an absolute sensation at United him and Martial on opposite wings in a 4-3-3 yes please! Pogba gets his role and we have fire and flair up front.

Wrt Pogba, I dont hate him at all but I think he gets a bit of free ride sometimes. He needs to do more in big games and put up consistent performances (much like Lukaku).

Depay seems more like Sanchez in his style of play, how he loves to receive the ball, how direct he is and how he can be quite selfish at times.

Sanchez is great but don't think he was really needed. Same thing with Perisic but at least with Perisic he was both footed and was more of a natural winger so the signing made sense, this one seems more like a statement signing which you've been doing far too often.

For France Pogba is a beast though. Although that's probably because Kante just frees him up. Pogba's been great. Me personally though still don't understand why Schneiderlin was sold and why Schweinsteiger got banished from the team, right now you complain about the lack of central midfield options and you rely on Fellaini for backup or even as a first team option ffs. How does this make sense in any way shape or form?
Reply 93
Original post by SCIENCE :D
So many problems at United that i'm genuinely worried it could be a few years before we are challanging for the PL again.

midfield needs drastically sorting out.

We are still playing two wingers at full back, when we have Shaw and Fosu-Mensah perfectly capable, waiting in the wings. Still think next season Jose will try and make Lindelof into a RB, meaning Fosu-Mensah will get hardly any game time.

CB pairing is still a mystery, Smalling and Jones both need to go. Not sure if Rojo is good enough. Bailly is probs the only CB we have who is good enough.

Depressing.

If you kept Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger(especially since Carrick was ageing) then you would have options. Now your main CM backup is a 20 year old who's not good enough.
If you kept Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger(especially since Carrick was ageing) then you would have options. Now your main CM backup is a 20 year old who's not good enough.

Yeah exactly, although I was never really that keen on Schneiderlin, he would have been a better backup than what we ahve now.

We have to go all out for Fabinho in the summer.
Original post by Rk2k14
Hearing some noise about Toby's contract talks stalling (seems to be a case for a couple Spurs players).

Would love him at United. Best CB in the league.

Been hearing noise about Kroos as well. Mou is a big fan of Kroos so no doubt if Real decide to clear out we will be monitoring closely.

Also think Mbappe is potentially being ruined with some dodgy tactics(first of all he's a striker albeit a versatile one) and while he'll become a super player, don't see what he has got that Martial hasn't, although Martial is being ruined way more, Emery's in game management was ridiculously poor. Cavani was hurting Real with his movement and Meunier came on only to be absolutely rekt by Asensio despite the fact PSG were on the front foot for majority of the game.

Real piss me off because in these games they play well for a few minutes and get goals and play like a segunda liga side for the rest of the game. They're also bigger crossing merchants than Chelsea and United.

Do you think Rashford will improve? I was thinking he obviously has deficiencies in his game but surely Van Gaal saw a lot of potential in him and he was performing extremely well. Don't see why he can't be used up top to ease the load off Lukaku who plays every game e.g.

Why do you say Martial is being ruined? If anything I think he has improved both his defensive and offensive game in particular his decision making & ball retention. When Martial first came he was actually sometimes very sloppy on the ball with his touch and would lose it. He has definitely improved that aspect under Mourinho no doubt and now when he gets into the box he looks up and tries to play a correct pass.

Martial seems to absolutely love that left hand side, its where he even scored his debut goal against Liverpool. Surprisingly though under LVG he was a good striker but we had to play ball to feet a lot of times as you lose a bit of aerial threat with Martial (even though hes scored like 2 or 3 headers).

I dont think Mbappe is being ruined he's done quite well this season (his numbers are very impressive considering he's being deployed as a winger). Young players like this need to learn how to play in other positions much like what Mourinho has been trying to do for Rashford. Rashford cant dribble as effectively as Mbappe though which is a shame because he has pace. Mbappe is also a better/more natural finisher than Rashford at this moment in time. Rashford led the line for a few games this season (when Lukaku had that head injury) and he was terrible. To be honest I dont know if he will improve a lot only time will tell but I dont see him being Uniteds #9. There's already talk of us signing Icardi from Inter.

Emery's decisions were poor yes but to be fair to him PSG missed a lot of chances in that game but he made a huge mistake removing Cavani. Neymar was also selfish at times, when Cavani was on I remember one golden chance where Neymar could have played him in for a 1v1 and he didnt...

I want PSG to go out though.
Reply 96
Been hearing noise about Kroos as well. Mou is a big fan of Kroos so no doubt if Real decide to clear out we will be monitoring closely.

Why do you say Martial is being ruined? If anything I think he has improved both his defensive and offensive game in particular his decision making & ball retention. When Martial first came he was actually sometimes very sloppy on the ball with his touch and would lose it. He has definitely improved that aspect under Mourinho no doubt and now when he gets into the box he looks up and tries to play a correct pass.

Martial became sloppy last season and his ball retention was always great before.

Martial seems to absolutely love that left hand side, its where he even scored his debut goal against Liverpool. Surprisingly though under LVG he was a good striker but we had to play ball to feet a lot of times as you lose a bit of aerial threat with Martial (even though hes scored like 2 or 3 headers).

I dont think Mbappe is being ruined he's done quite well this season (his numbers are very impressive considering he's being deployed as a winger). Young players like this need to learn how to play in other positions much like what Mourinho has been trying to do for Rashford. Rashford cant dribble as effectively as Mbappe though which is a shame because he has pace. Mbappe is also a better/more natural finisher than Rashford at this moment in time. Rashford led the line for a few games this season (when Lukaku had that head injury) and he was terrible. To be honest I dont know if he will improve a lot only time will tell but I dont see him being Uniteds #9. There's already talk of us signing Icardi from Inter.

He's not even that bad in the air Martial but he prefers having the ball at his feet.

Mbappe plays for a juiced french league team in a weak french league. I guess he's performed well in terms of numbers but reckon he should have stayed at Monaco for another season under a coach who's not fraudulent enough to bottle 4 goal leads.

Emery's decisions were poor yes but to be fair to him PSG missed a lot of chances in that game but he made a huge mistake removing Cavani. Neymar was also selfish at times, when Cavani was on I remember one golden chance where Neymar could have played him in for a 1v1 and he didnt...

I want PSG to go out though.

Neymar was pretty bad after the first half too I agree. Real are a very lucky team but get consistent luck, they have Chelsea CL levels of luck. Every damn time they're getting hurt and they score a goal out of nowhere, they've also never heard of defending either. However despite that I didn't feel at any point of the game despite how bad Real were for large parts of the game that Real would lose. It's weird they have that hold over teams.

Mbappe plays for a juiced french league team in a weak french league. I guess he's performed well in terms of numbers but reckon he should have stayed at Monaco for another season under a coach who's not fraudulent enough to bottle 4 goal leads.

Neymar was pretty bad after the first half too I agree. Real are a very lucky team but get consistent luck, they have Chelsea CL levels of luck. Every damn time they're getting hurt and they score a goal out of nowhere, they've also never heard of defending either. However despite that I didn't feel at any point of the game despite how bad Real were for large parts of the game that Real would lose. It's weird they have that hold over teams.

Yeah true he does play in a weaker league so maybe his numbers are a bit flawed in that sense. Some of the goal keeping and defending in the french league is so terrible.

Makes sense why people like Lacazette were banging in goals for fun lol

I love watching Real, their seasoned AF in the CL. They play great football in spurts and then they back off its beautiful game management. Also Asensio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"We dont really need Hazard because we have Asensio" - Zidanne.
Reply 98
Yeah true he does play in a weaker league so maybe his numbers are a bit flawed in that sense. Some of the goal keeping and defending in the french league is so terrible.

Makes sense why people like Lacazette were banging in goals for fun lol

I love watching Real, their seasoned AF in the CL. They play great football in spurts and then they back off its beautiful game management. Also Asensio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"We dont really need Hazard because we have Asensio" - Zidanne.

With Real in comparison to Bayern under Heynckes Bayern always looked assured when they backed off during games, everything looked fine. Real look like they're about to concede 3 then score up the other end after your team miss a penalty.
Reply 99
Depay seems more like Sanchez in his style of play, how he loves to receive the ball, how direct he is and how he can be quite selfish at times.

Sanchez is great but don't think he was really needed. Same thing with Perisic but at least with Perisic he was both footed and was more of a natural winger so the signing made sense, this one seems more like a statement signing which you've been doing far too often.

For France Pogba is a beast though. Although that's probably because Kante just frees him up. Pogba's been great. Me personally though still don't understand why Schneiderlin was sold and why Schweinsteiger got banished from the team, right now you complain about the lack of central midfield options and you rely on Fellaini for backup or even as a first team option ffs. How does this make sense in any way shape or form?

France also have runners and they're fullbacks push up forward so even if Pogba's a bit deep he has options with that GOAT passing.

We have statues in front of him.

Schneiderin was just trash. Surprised we got £20+ mill for him cause this guy is struggling at Everton.

Latest