The Student Room Group

Food preparation and Nutrition

Do you reccomend it ?
Are u good at it?
i got an 8 in my mock

Scroll to see replies

I do GCSE food prepartion and nutrition and, although I think the content is intresting, our teacher is s**t so my whole class did bad on their mocks. I got a grade 4, which TBH I thought I was gonna get lower (all of my class got 1s and 2s). Our class is on the the pratitical side of the coursework now, were finishing off making our 6-8 dishes. TBH I think that is the best bit as you get more freedom(compared to the 1st bit of coursework). Our class is doing European dishes and for our 1st bit of coursework we did gluten in breadmaking. Would i reccommend it? Yes, but remember only 35% of the exam is cooking.
Reply 2
Original post by LucieTheUnicorn
I do GCSE food prepartion and nutrition and, although I think the content is intresting, our teacher is s**t so my whole class did bad on their mocks. I got a grade 4, which TBH I thought I was gonna get lower (all of my class got 1s and 2s). Our class is on the the pratitical side of the coursework now, were finishing off making our 6-8 dishes. TBH I think that is the best bit as you get more freedom(compared to the 1st bit of coursework). Our class is doing European dishes and for our 1st bit of coursework we did gluten in breadmaking. Would i reccommend it? Yes, but remember only 35% of the exam is cooking.

OMG! We are doing the exact same as you, I am doing France for my chosen European country. So far to demonstrate skills I have made meringues, madeleines and quiche lorraine (the quiche was so bad!). On Monday I'm making pistou soup. I am best in my class for theory but I'm not that good at cooking, still though I am hoping to get an 8 or a 9. How about you? What do you think the grade boundaries will be? I got 89/100 and got an 8!
Original post by HettiBetti
OMG! We are doing the exact same as you, I am doing France for my chosen European country. So far to demonstrate skills I have made meringues, madeleines and quiche lorraine (the quiche was so bad!). On Monday I'm making pistou soup. I am best in my class for theory but I'm not that good at cooking, still though I am hoping to get an 8 or a 9. How about you? What do you think the grade boundaries will be? I got 89/100 and got an 8!

AAAA OMG were doing the sameee thing!! I'm doing gluten formation and children. I HATE NEA. I've finally finished my NEA1 and I'm halfway through NEA 2. I'm no good at cooking, I'm better at the theory, but I got a 4 in my mocks. LOLZ. I'm hoping for at least a 6/7 in the actual exams though. I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be like... hope they are low!
i hate food tech so much lmao
ive gotten a 5 and a 6 in my mocks, i thought it was gonna be easy but it is so hard
what board are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by ammaarah husain
AAAA OMG were doing the sameee thing!! I'm doing gluten formation and children. I HATE NEA. I've finally finished my NEA1 and I'm halfway through NEA 2. I'm no good at cooking, I'm better at the theory, but I got a 4 in my mocks. LOLZ. I'm hoping for at least a 6/7 in the actual exams though. I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be like... hope they are low!

What was the children question..because our teacher just bombarded us with the European cuisine question and didn't let us choose!!! She didn't even mention anything about the other options!!! What if there was an easier option!!! Anyway...Girl me and you are the same as I am no good at cooking either: my quiche went completely wrong..it leaked!!! I think a 9 will be 85%+ and a 7 55%+, they may even be lower because Food Prep isn't a popular subject!!!
Reply 6
Original post by xnotapplicablex
ive gotten a 5 and a 6 in my mocks, i thought it was gonna be easy but it is so hard

AQA!!! I am so bad at cooking!!!
Reply 7

I made quiche and then for my final dish I am making a tomato tarte tatin.
I made meringues and madeilenes and for my final I am making fraiser cake.
I made pistou soup and am making French Onion soup for my final.
Are these good options???
Are they high skill??? Will they get me a 9??? Our exam is on the 14 of June!!!
Reply 8

Are they high skill??? Will they get me a 9??? Our exam is on the 14 of June!!!
Reply 9

What board are you doing??? If you are doing AQA is there another prcatice paper other than the specimen...if so where do you find it??? Aiming for a 9!!!!
AQA!!! I am so bad at cooking!!!

honestly honestly

What board are you doing??? If you are doing AQA is there another prcatice paper other than the specimen...if so where do you find it??? Aiming for a 9!!!!

nope sorry im doing wjec (eduqas) and im having the same problem :frown: try cgp books?
honestly honestly

nope sorry im doing wjec (eduqas) and im having the same problem :frown: try cgp books?

Thanks anyway:smile:
honestly honestly

Girl....yes honestly!!! Every time I make shortcrust pastry it goes wrong!!! I did thr most stupidist thing with puff pastry; I went to warm up the butter a little as it was to cold...but...when I took it out of the microwave it was completely melted...I was dumb...I should have known...it was 1000 watt microwave after all...oh..life's tragedies!!! :smile:
What was the children question..because our teacher just bombarded us with the European cuisine question and didn't let us choose!!! She didn't even mention anything about the other options!!! What if there was an easier option!!! Anyway...Girl me and you are the same as I am no good at cooking either: my quiche went completely wrong..it leaked!!! I think a 9 will be 85%+ and a 7 55%+, they may even be lower because Food Prep isn't a popular subject!!!

The children task was to cook dishes that include fruit and vegetables that would be suitable for children. Our teacher was leaning towards the European cuisine task and the whole class was going to end up doing European cuisine but she changed her mind and she let us choose. I chose children because i can relate XD. AAAA i cant cook lmao i tried making bread and pasta from scratch... it was horrible. I cant even make simple pasta sauce without it going wrong :\. Food tech is so confusing omg. I literally didnt know what i was doing half of the time for NEA1. YHHH i think a 9 will be 85% and 7 will be 55%
The children task was to cook dishes that include fruit and vegetables that would be suitable for children. Our teacher was leaning towards the European cuisine task and the whole class was going to end up doing European cuisine but she changed her mind and she let us choose. I chose children because i can relate XD. AAAA i cant cook lmao i tried making bread and pasta from scratch... it was horrible. I cant even make simple pasta sauce without it going wrong :\. Food tech is so confusing omg. I literally didnt know what i was doing half of the time for NEA1. YHHH i think a 9 will be 85% and 7 will be 55%

OMG I probably would have chose that option!!! Girl I understand...every time I make quiche it goes wrong!!! Also once we made chocolate cake, so simple yet...mine didn't even rise!!!! But my Madeleine I consider to be perfect!!

I am quite good at making a roux sauce it was perfect!!! I used to not be able to separate egg whites from egg yolks but now I can!!!

They have a mock past paper in the cgp workbook! After getting my test back I found out you needed 65% for a grade 5 on the speciman paper on the AQA website(our mock was the speciman paper) so guessing the grade boundries will be high.
Don't worry I've had a few cooking diasters during this NEA task. When making my eclairs I didn't pipe them on the baking tray evenly and they came out looking like chicken nuggets:biggrin: For my final three dishes Im doing lemon meringue pie, chicken and mushroom pie and pizza and doughballs with salad. Im doing my final three dishes on Monday eeeek!
They have a mock past paper in the cgp workbook! After getting my test back I found out you needed 65% for a grade 5 on the speciman paper on the AQA website(our mock was the speciman paper) so guessing the grade boundries will be high.
Don't worry I've had a few cooking diasters during this NEA task. When making my eclairs I didn't pipe them on the baking tray evenly and they came out looking like chicken nuggets:biggrin: For my final three dishes Im doing lemon meringue pie, chicken and mushroom pie and pizza and doughballs with salad. Im doing my final three dishes on Monday eeeek!

Are they high skill??? Will they get me a 9??? Our theory exam is on the 14 of June!!! But my cooking is on Monday the 21st of march!!!! Girl...good luck with your cooking and your theory exam!!!
is anyone doing wjec

Are they high skill??? Will they get me a 9??? Our theory exam is on the 14 of June!!! But my cooking is on Monday the 21st of march!!!! Girl...good luck with your cooking and your theory exam!!!

if a 7 is 55% that means i got a grade 7 in my mocks as i got 55% but my teacher gave me a 4 ---im doing wjec
Original post by cutiecorn
is anyone doing wjec

if a 7 is 55% that means i got a grade 7 in my mocks as i got 55% but my teacher gave me a 4 ---im doing wjec

I am doing AQA and got 89/100 = 89% so I got an 8!!! I have my cooking exam tomorrow...making Fraiser cake, French Onion Soup and a Tomato Tarte Tatin!!! Wish me luck...I'll need it...I am so bad at cooking:frown: Aaahhh!!! Help!!! Any tips??? Advice???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending