The Student Room Group

Is it ok to ignore someone to get over them?

So we are like best friends for a while, we hanged out a lot and texted each other for almost everyday. He sees me as a younger sister. But sometimes I can't stop hoping that he likes me because he says sweet things to me and like give hints, he starts changing topic when I talk about other guys, he gets mad when someone mjstreats me, etc. He posts something about what we just talked, always tagging and mentioning me. He always likes all my pics and post and makes sure he leaves comments. So I thought that maybe he likes me. But then as I get to know him more, he has lots of female friends and says the same thing and he's like treating us all the same way. Then I knew I wasn't the only one and maybe it's just his personality. Whatever he does or say to me, he does it to his other female friends. It's really hard that I've been ignoring him and he keeps texting me no matter how short my replies are and how I reply late, now I've been completely ignoring him. And then I saw he posted that he's hurt and someone broke his heart. I could see that he still talks to the same female friends so I assumed he was thinking of me. Hence, when he messaged me, I replied and then he didn't text back. I know it's like a revenge or karma. But I really want to get over him and I don't want to ignore him or to be distant with him. Though I know in myself if I'm close to him and if I talk to him more, the closer we get, the deeper I will fall for him. What should I do?
Before you start ignoring him ask him if he has feelings for you and if he wants to take things further. If he says no, or says yes but starts messing you about then ignoring him is the best way to go.

I have to be honest though there is no reason for a boy to have so many female friends, in my experience such boys will mess you around to no end
Original post by Ilyidk
So we are like best friends for a while, we hanged out a lot and texted each other for almost everyday. He sees me as a younger sister. But sometimes I can't stop hoping that he likes me because he says sweet things to me and like give hints, he starts changing topic when I talk about other guys, he gets mad when someone mjstreats me, etc. He posts something about what we just talked, always tagging and mentioning me. He always likes all my pics and post and makes sure he leaves comments. So I thought that maybe he likes me. But then as I get to know him more, he has lots of female friends and says the same thing and he's like treating us all the same way. Then I knew I wasn't the only one and maybe it's just his personality. Whatever he does or say to me, he does it to his other female friends. It's really hard that I've been ignoring him and he keeps texting me no matter how short my replies are and how I reply late, now I've been completely ignoring him. And then I saw he posted that he's hurt and someone broke his heart. I could see that he still talks to the same female friends so I assumed he was thinking of me. Hence, when he messaged me, I replied and then he didn't text back. I know it's like a revenge or karma. But I really want to get over him and I don't want to ignore him or to be distant with him. Though I know in myself if I'm close to him and if I talk to him more, the closer we get, the deeper I will fall for him. What should I do?

Hey I had the same sort of situation with a boy and we had such a good relationship ngl sort of too good to be true. But then he like got annoyed with me when o said I was leaving our school to go to college and then he was off with me ignoring me etc. So went for summer and we sort things out as I didn’t leave in the end. We went back to school everything was good but then he got annoyed with me when I was going somewhere etc so we fell out. Then he fell out with some other people and took all it out on me. So now we are no longer friends.
Hmm well I think you should straight up ask him. I get that maybe you don't want to ruin a friendship but it can be tough to decide on whether telling your friend you like them or moving on. I was in a similar situation when I was in high school and it took me a little over a year to get my guy friend out of my head, and all the while I was hanging out with him. But he was gay so things didn't go anywhere but the point is, you need to decide if your feelings are stronger or your friendship is because once you tell him things can go very well or very wrong but at the end of the day, you got the chance to tell him how you feel. So don't ignore him and talk with him.
Reply 4
Original post by pink2000
Hey I had the same sort of situation with a boy and we had such a good relationship ngl sort of too good to be true. But then he like got annoyed with me when o said I was leaving our school to go to college and then he was off with me ignoring me etc. So went for summer and we sort things out as I didn’t leave in the end. We went back to school everything was good but then he got annoyed with me when I was going somewhere etc so we fell out. Then he fell out with some other people and took all it out on me. So now we are no longer friends.

That's so sad to hear. Did you somehow try to reach out to him?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm well I think you should straight up ask him. I get that maybe you don't want to ruin a friendship but it can be tough to decide on whether telling your friend you like them or moving on. I was in a similar situation when I was in high school and it took me a little over a year to get my guy friend out of my head, and all the while I was hanging out with him. But he was gay so things didn't go anywhere but the point is, you need to decide if your feelings are stronger or your friendship is because once you tell him things can go very well or very wrong but at the end of the day, you got the chance to tell him how you feel. So don't ignore him and talk with him.

The thing is our families are close and his siblings are my best friends. I dont want to get awkward with them or anything so I think our friendship is more important. But how could i be friends when I have feelings? It's so hard..
Reply 6
Original post by del1rious
Before you start ignoring him ask him if he has feelings for you and if he wants to take things further. If he says no, or says yes but starts messing you about then ignoring him is the best way to go.

I have to be honest though there is no reason for a boy to have so many female friends, in my experience such boys will mess you around to no end

I guess I could never ask him that. There's a lot of people involved if I made that one decision. First off, our parents are practically best friends, I wouldnt do anything to change that and his siblings are good friends of mine too. I wouldnt wanna risk and get things awkward between us.
Original post by Ilyidk
That's so sad to hear. Did you somehow try to reach out to him?

Not for months we didn’t talk but then we did for couple or weeks but didn’t work things had changed between us x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending